- This article is about a mission. This name is also used for a Zaishen mission quest. For the outposts, see Vizunah Square (Local Quarter) and Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter).
|Preceded by|| Mayhem in the Market |
or Welcome to Cantha
|Followed by||Finding The Oracle|
In Vizunah Square, a party of characters from outside Cantha accompanied by Mhenlo meet with a party of Canthan native characters with Master Togo. Together the parties fight through droves of afflicted to find the source of the plague in Kaineng City.
Typically, the Canthan party starts from the Vizunah Square (Local Quarter) outpost, while the Prophecies and/or Nightfall party starts from Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter) outpost, although this can vary. Although these show up as separate locations on the map, with their own mission symbols, they both refer to the same mission.
- 1 Mission information
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 NPCs
- 4 Dialogue
- 5 Notes
- 6 Trivia
Locate the source of the plague in Kaineng City.
Find Togo in Vizunah Square. (If your party is from Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter).)
Hold out until Mhenlo 's party arrives. (If your party is from Vizunah Square (Local Quarter).)
Travel with Mhenlo and Togo in search of the plague's source.
Defeat Shiro's Construct.
- Mhenlo must survive.
- Togo must survive.
|Normal mode||Completion time||Rewards|
|Standard||> 30 minutes||1,000 XP||100||1|
|Expert's||25 - 30 minutes||1,500 XP||150||1|
|Master's||< 25 minutes||2,000 XP||200||1|
|Hard mode||Completion time||Rewards|
|Standard||> 40 minutes||1,000 XP||200||1|
|Expert's||35 - 40 minutes||2,000 XP||300||1|
|Master's||< 35 minutes||3,000 XP||500||1|
The local and foreign parties start at separate locations. The local party, together with Master Togo, will enter an area where they will be faced with spawning Afflicted. The foreign party, with Mhenlo, will need to fight several groups of Am Fah enemies first to make their way to the meet up point, unless the foreign group is completely computer controlled, in which case they do not need to fight anyone before the parties merge. Since Master Togo has to be kept alive, a common reason to fail the mission is for the local party to become overwhelmed and Togo dies, before the foreign party arrives. To prevent this, the local party should place more emphasis on healing compared to the foreign one. Once the two groups meet, healers from both parties are able to heal both NPCs.
After the first large battle, the mission follows a linear path, including two other large fights at Afflicted spawning points. During these fights, multiple waves of Afflicted spawn (and respawn) from three separate points. The Afflicted Soul Explosion can overwhelm parties in these situations. Eliminating the afflicted bosses will stop the respawning of Afflicted and cause the opening of the nearby gate, allowing continuation of the mission. Spread apart and try to intercept the spawns with three "mini-parties" instead of fighting them all in one big melee.
Note that while you can heal members of the other group, you cannot resurrect them. Each party has to provide for their own means of resurrection.
This mission has numerous bugs, some forcing a restart. See the notes for details.
- Bring skills that can affect multiple allies, since there will be 16 characters (from the two parties) plus Togo and Mhenlo.
- Area of effect skills are very helpful because the fighting is tight and packed. Wards, wells, and point blank area of effect skills are very effective in this mission. Area of effect skills that inflict damage can cause many Afflicted Soul Explosions to trigger at the same time.
- There are enough exploitable corpses to support several minion masters; however, remember that the sacrifice from Blood of the Master is determined by the total number of allied minions.
- "I Will Avenge You!" will benefit from the deaths of Canthan Guards and Peasants; it can provide a near-continuous buff during the mission.
- Speed boosts (e.g. "Fall Back!") are helpful for two reasons: the mission is timed and often party members will find themselves running from one fight to another.
- Afflicted Ritualists can slow progress, especially in hard mode since they are potent healers who can resurrect their allies. Bring shutdowns or other anti-caster skills.
- If entering from Local Quarter, consider not bringing Signet of Spirits, since Chiyo of the Foreign Quarter party (if no player-Foreign Quarter party joins) uses it.
- Enchantment-based builds are vulnerable to enchantment removal by Afflicted Necromancers and Mesmers. Afflicted that deal physical damage can also remove enchantments when enchanted with Afflicted Necromancer's Order of Apostasy.
Henchmen from Foreign Quarter if no party joined
Henchmen from Local Quarter if no party joined
- 14 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Warrior
- 14 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Ranger
- 14 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Monk
- 14 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Necromancer
- 10 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Mesmer
- 10 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Elementalist
- 14 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Assassin
- 12 (24), 20 (26), 24 (26) Afflicted Ritualist
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Ranger
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Monk
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Necromancer
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Mesmer
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Elementalist
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Assassin
- 28 (30) Shiro'ken Ritualist
Afflicted (four of the following will spawn)
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Ako → Enraged Smash
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Huan → Broad Head Arrow
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Miju → Ray of Judgment
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Thu → Order of Apostasy
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Li Yun → Stolen Speed
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Kam → Mind Burn
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Soon Kim → Shadow Form
- 24 (30) The Afflicted Hakaru → Weapon of Quickening
- Canthan Man: "What the...?"
- Canthan Woman: "May the gods have mercy on our souls."
- <local quarter party leader>: "Are we too late?"
- Master Togo: "Not yet, but we must not allow those plague beasts to spread their affliction any further."
- Master Togo: "If they do, everyone in this province will be in danger."
- Brother Mhenlo: "Master Togo is down there, and he's in trouble."
- <foreign quarter party leader>: "What are we going to do?"
- Brother Mhenlo: "Well, I don't know about you, but I didn't come all the way from Lion's Arch for a funeral."
From both local and foreign quarters:
- Fortune Teller: "I see great things in your future."
- Fortune Teller: "Yours will be a story told by generations."
- Fortune Teller: "Your swords will be sought by many."
- Shiro Tagachi: "Nonsense."
- Fortune Teller: "Yes. Yes. You will do things no other man would dare."
- Fortune Teller: "Your name will live on for a thousand years."
- Shiro Tagachi: "Shut your mouth. Old fool."
- Fortune Teller: "Look for fortune to come your way."
From the local quarter:
- Master Togo: "The most recent outbreak of the plague originated in this district. I have asked Brother Mhenlo of Ascalon, a skilled healer and former student of mine, to meet us here."
- Master Togo: "Perhaps with his help, we can determine the true nature of this affliction. Come, students, he is expecting us in Vizunah Square."
- Master Togo: "Follow me, students. Vizunah Square is not far from here."
From the foreign quarter:
- Brother Mhenlo: "Master Togo will meet us in Vizunah Square. I expect it is no coincidence that our destination is in a part of the city that has been sealed off due to the plague."
- Brother Mhenlo: "I've "convinced" this guard to open the gates and let us through. Come, let us find Master Togo."
- Brother Mhenlo: "Follow me, friends. Vizunah Square is not far from here."
- Master Togo: "Ah, Mhenlo, it is good of you to come. And not a moment too soon."
- Brother Mhenlo: "Master Togo, I am at your disposal."
- Master Togo: "I will make the introductions later, for now we have a fight on our hands. Come."
After the final afflicted group is defeated at the first choke point.
- Master Togo: "This district has been overrun with the plague while others have been spared. Let us find out why."
- Brother Mhenlo: "I am certain that this is no natural affliction. It corrupts not only the body but also the soul."
- Master Togo: "I agree that the cause of the plague is something supernatural...and I believe we will find it in this district."
After leaving the first choke point.
- Canthan Guard: "Leave the city or fend for yourself. We cannot protect you within the city walls."
When a group of Am Fah spawn.
- Brother Mhenlo: "Am Fah! No doubt these scoundrels are trying to capitalize on the chaos the plague is causing."
- Master Togo: "I doubt they are responsible for the plague, but I'm not surprised to find them in its midst. The city guards are too busy to keep them at bay."
After the final afflicted group is defeated at the second choke point.
- Master Togo: "We suffered an outbreak of this same disease back on Shing Jea Island. The corruption emanated from a temple that bore the mark of Shiro Tagachi."
- Master Togo: "But it has been two hundred years since Shiro killed the emperor he was sworn to protect. Why would his curse take so long to manifest?"
- Brother Mhenlo: "It might not be a curse. There are tales of evil spirits causing physical corruption. If Shiro's spirit has returned somehow, it could cause a plague. We should search for signs of him."
After the final afflicted group is defeated at the third choke point.
- Master Togo: "There was great evil here...I can feel it. I think you are right, Mhenlo. The very spirit of Shiro Tagachi has returned. But why here?"
- Brother Mhenlo: "I remember this bookstore, Master. It held magic and religious text from across the world."
- Master Togo: "I thought our temple was defaced because it was a holy place, but it too was a center of learning... Shiro must be looking for something. We must find him before he finds it."
When reaching a closed, guarded gate.
- Master Togo: "In the name of the emperor, open this gate!"
- Canthan Guard: "You will find nothing but trouble this way. With all the chaos, the Am Fah are running things down here."
- Brother Mhenlo: "The Am Fah? Petty street criminals do not concern us."
When coming into range of the final afflicted group.
- Master Togo: "Shiro Tagachi, I adjure you... Show yourself, foul spirit! I will bind you and return you to the Underworld.
- Shiro'ken: "I am no mere spirit, mortal. Like a god I have breathed life into this body. Come feel the bite of my blades if you doubt me."
- Brother Mhenlo: "We do not fear your blades or your black magic. Prepare yourself. You are not long for this realm!"
- Messenger Vetaura: "We cannot stand by while Shiro continues to meddle in the affairs of the mortal."
- Emissary Heleyne: "His duty is to shepherd the newly dead to the gates of the Mists."
- Emissary Heleyne: "He's shirking his responsibility as an Envoy."
- Courier Torivos: "For every disembodied spirit that he lets loose here in the mortal realm, the delicate equilibrium between worlds tips further out of balance."
- Courier Torivos: "Whatever his plan is, it must be stopped."
- Herald Demrikov: "But how? We are only Envoys ourselves. We cannot fight Shiro."
- Emissary Heleyne: "We can combat Shiro by acting like Shiro."
- Messenger Vetaura: "We are the Envoys to the next world."
- Messenger Vetaura: "The shepherds who guide the newly departed to Eternal Paradise within the Mists."
- Messenger Vetaura: "We were sent here to show you the path to the afterlife."
- Herald Demrikov: "But it's not your time. We will not guide you today."
- Courier Torivos: "We return you your departed spirits."
- Courier Torivos: "We give back to you the gift of life."
- Emissary Heleyne: "But it comes with a price."
- Herald Demrikov: "In return, we ask your help in defeating Shiro."
- Messenger Vetaura: "Seek out Suun, the Oracle of the Mists."
- Messenger Vetaura: "He will show you how to become Weh no Su, Closer to the Stars."
- Master Togo: "Ah, Weh no Su. The Celestial test. Mhenlo and I know it well."
- <party leader>: "I do not understand. Why do you wish us to pass this test?"
- Courier Torivos: "Spirits in this realm can hide themselves from the view of the mortals."
- Courier Torivos: "Until you have become Closer to the Stars, you will not be able to see Shiro, let alone fight him."
- <party leader>: "I see."
- Messenger Vetaura: "We are counting on you to help us return the balance that Shiro has undone."
- Messenger Vetaura: "We will be watching."
- When a boss is killed, the subsequent Morale Boost is only awarded to the party that inflicted the killing blow.
- You will have to fight some of the Canthan civilians, who have been infected by the plague. On dying, they will spawn an Afflicted creature; such spawned Afflicted, while technically hostile to the party, will not attack you and will generally try to flee. However, you'll usually end up killing them anyway as any NPCs in your party will attack them.
- The death that occurs during the end cinematic does not halt progress of the Survivor title track.
- On completion of this mission, your party will appear in Dragon's Throat.
- A large chunk of the inaccessible southeast corner can be explored for Canthan Cartographer by viewing the mission cinematic. (Talk to Guardsman Chow in the Foreign Quarter to replay it.)
- The envoys are fleshy creatures, as they seem to bleed when struck by jagged horrors during the end cinematic.
- Both Guardsman Chow's dialogue and the Imperial Sanctum mission dialogue imply that this neighborhood's previous name was "Courthouse Square".