- This article is about a mission. This name is also used for an outpost, an explorable area, an explorable area during Winds of Change, a Zaishen mission, and a Zaishen vanquish quest.
|Preceded by||To Tahnnakai Temple|
|Followed by||A Meeting With the Emperor|
 Mission information
Stop the Spirit Binder from consuming Vizu.
Your goal is to defeat eight bosses in eight separate rooms, representing souls that have been bound by Shiro. As each soul is released, it will open the door to the next room, and you continue until your reach the eighth and final room. The mission fails if either Togo or Mhenlo die or if the party wipes.
This can be one of the harder Factions missions, especially when using only heroes and henchmen, particularly when trying to earn the Master's Reward. Although the mission is timed and Togo keeps urging the party to hurry, take your time: as you defeat each of the bosses below, the countdown clock is set back; as long as your progress is steady, there is more than enough time to finish.
In general, keep the party apart to avoid damage from area of effect (AoE) skills (particularly from Temple Guardians, Afflicted Elementalists, and Monks). Typically, the trick is to keep most of the party back, pull enemies with a long range weapon like a staff or a long bow, and retreat. The Afflicted will then chase that party member, bunching up and allowing the party to use AoE skills against them.
In some of the rooms, the Afflicted may be patrolling or move into a different formation after the party enters. This may seem like they have detected the party, which is not the case. Stay calm, fall back and keep the same tactics: do not rush in and pull them carefully to avoid aggroing too many enemies.
In the first seven rooms, you only need to kill the boss to trigger the opening of the gate. However, you should still kill everything, since it is nearly impossible to get Togo and Mhenlo through the rooms safely.
- Room 1 - Kitah
Fight the 2 pairs of Temple Guardians separately from the main group. If you're careful you should be able to sneak past the first group of Temple Guardians. As with all Afflicted groups, concentrate on their monks and powerful Ritualists first.
- Room 2 - Naku
The groups to the left, right and center can be pulled separately. This is most easily accomplished by pulling the right group first and back into the walkway, then the center and finally the left.
- Room 3 - Teinai
All the enemies in this room, with the exception of Teinai herself, form one large group. You can pull the Afflicted to the corner near the entrance and kill them there, before fighting Teinai. Be wary of her Sliver Armor and Star Burst which can kill multiple characters in seconds.
- Room 4 - Karei
Like in the first room, fight the Temple Guardians separately from the main group before killing the boss.
- Room 5 - Jaizhanju
The group to the right can be pulled independently of the main group. Additionally, pulling can make the enemy warriors rush out of range of their healers. Two doors lead to the next room. While it is sufficient to kill the group guarding one door, the other will join in while the players fight in the next group, therefore it is easier to kill both beforehand.
- Room 6 - Zojun
It is easier to pull the Temple Guardians separately if taking the left door. After the party enters, any remaining enemies from the previous room will rush in, and a couple of small Afflicted groups will move towards the two sets of stairs. Wait until they move out, then kill those first, then pull and kill the Temple Guardians, then the main group.
- Room 7 - Kaolai
Beware of the patrols rushing in on you in this room and watch out for the high powered elementalists. Keep in mind that the boss is a Ritualist that uses Restoration, an AoE resurrect.
- Room 8 - Vizu
Single Afflicted Rangers patrol this circular room clockwise and counter-clockwise. They, as well as the pairs of Temple Guardians protecting the bridges to the center, do not need to be killed to finish the mission. However, do take care of those patrols that might aggro on your backline while engaging the boss group. While fighting the last group, it is advisable to have your melee fighters pull the big enemy group onto the bridge and body block them there, thus protecting your backline. All enemies in the center need to be killed to finish the mission (even those that might not initially aggro with the rest of the group) - killing Vizu does not automatically end the mission. Also, watch out for powerful AoE. Sometimes your group will get mobbed and cannot advance beyond the bridge, and will be torn to pieces by AoE in seconds, try flagging heroes and henchman around for less damage to your party.
 Skill recommendations
- Skills that deal AoE damage work well here since there are plenty of clumped-together enemies; however, many Afflicted Soul Explosions may trigger at the same time because of the AoE damage.
- Since you kill a boss in each room (approximately once every 3 minutes), you can take Resurrection Signets or Sunspear Rebirth Signets instead of hard resurrection skills.
- Minion masters will have plenty of corpses; their minions form valuable meat shields to reduce the chances of Afflicted Soul Explosions affecting party members.
- Elementalists can combine Glyph of Sacrifice with Meteor Shower to target the bosses in each room for fast damage and knock downs; killing the boss recharges both skills, negating the added delay from the glyph.
- Pain Inverter is useful against the AoE damage of the Temple Guardians.
- Consider bringing Mantra of Flame or skills that protect against elemental damage, since Afflicted Rangers, Afflicted Elementalists, and Temple Guardians have skills that deal fire damage.
- The touch skills of Ursan, Volfen or Raven Blessing work through blindness, Aegis and Sliver Armor. Asuran Scan is also an option since Afflicted in this mission cannot remove hexes, but remember that Karei and Kitah have hex removal skills, so it may have to be covered or reapplied against those two bosses.
- Enchantment-based builds are vulnerable to Afflicted Necromancers and Afflicted Mesmers.
- 20 (26) Afflicted Warrior
- 20 (26) Afflicted Ranger
- 20 (26) Afflicted Monk
- 20 (26) Afflicted Necromancer
- 20 (26) Afflicted Mesmer
- 20 (26) Afflicted Elementalist
- 20 (26) Afflicted Ritualist
- 20 (26) Temple Guardian
- 24 (28) Bound Jaizhanju → Auspicious Parry
- 24 (28) Bound Zojun → Famine
- 24 (28) Bound Karei → Spell Breaker
- 24 (28) Bound Naku → Wail of Doom
- 24 (28) Bound Kitah → Arcane Languor
- 24 (28) Bound Teinai → Star Burst
- 24 (28) Bound Vizu → Shroud of Silence
- 24 (28) Bound Kaolai → Defiant Was Xinrae
- Vizu: "I knew you would come."
- Spirit Shiro: "Did you?"
- Vizu: "You're not the type to give up on a grudge."
- Spirit Shiro: "You're right."
- Vizu: "What is it you want?"
- Spirit Shiro: "Want? From you? Just a little revenge."
- Vizu: "Last time we met, I beat you Shiro. I will beat you again."
- Spirit Shiro: "It's different this time."
- Spirit Shiro: "This time, I'm facing you."
- Vizu: "You can't kill me, Shiro. I'm already dead."
- Spirit Shiro: "I'm not going to kill you."
- Spirit Shiro: "I'm going to force you to be my ally, to fight by my side."
- Vizu: "You'll have to catch me first."
- Spirit Shiro: "You coward."
- Spirit Shiro: "Last time you stabbed me in the back. This time, you run."
- Spirit Shiro: "I shall reserve for you a special torture, one for the weak and the honorless."
- Master Togo: "Come. The spirit of Vizu resides in this hall."
- Master Togo: "It was her blade strike that crippled Shiro two hundred years ago and eventually led to his death."
- Master Togo: "If anyone can tell us how to defeat him, it will be her."
- Master Togo: "Follow me."
- Brother Mhenlo: "Keep up if you can. Master Togo is faster than he looks."
 Initial dialogue
- Brother Mhenlo: "This is a part of Cantha that I wish I had explored more of while I was here in my early years."
- Master Togo: "Come, let us find Vizu. There is no time to waste!"
- Master Togo: "We do not have much time before Vizu is bound. Perhaps if we free the other spirits, they can lend their strength to Vizu."
 Intermediate dialogue
When entering Kitah's room.
- Master Togo: "Kei na Kai! The temple guardians have been awakened!"
After Kitah is freed.
- Kitah: "You have released me. I owe you an enormous debt of gratitude."
- Master Togo: "Shiro has bound the heroes into these creatures. It is worse than blasphemy: Shiro plays in the fields of the gods!"
- Brother Mhenlo: "Rest assured, Master, we will make him pay for what he has done...and what he plans to do."
- Kitah: "If anyone can stop Shiro, it is you. Good luck, friends."
When entering Naku's room.
- Master Togo: "We must proceed with caution. The guardians see us neither as friend or foe, but they will kill us if they perceive we are a threat."
After Naku is freed.
- Naku: "I shudder to think what would have happened had you not released me from the Spirit Binder. You have my gratitude. I shall lend my strength to Vizu!"
- Master Togo: "We must destroy each construct to free the soul bound within it."
- Brother Mhenlo: "Binding the Canthan heroes was a clever move by Shiro, but I'm afraid that this is just a taste of what's to come..."
When Naku opens the next gate.
- Master Togo: "Quickly! It looks like the constructs are attempting to bind Vizu. We must hurry...we have very little time!"
- Master Togo: "I believe that Vizu has knowledge of Shiro that helped her to take part in his destruction 200 years ago. That knowledge will help us to destroy him once again."
- Naku: "Shiro must be stopped. I pray you are successful in this mission."
When Teinai is freed.
- Teinai: "You have released me! I cannot tell you how horrifying that was! To be forced to do Shiro's bidding...to know my own body is betraying me... As a token of my gratitude, I shall transfer some of my strength to Vizu for now."
- Brother Mhenlo: "The plague seems to have spread much further than we originally imagined."
- Teinai: "You have important work to do this day. It is imperative that you stop Shiro. The citizens of Cantha depend on you."
When Karei is freed.
- Karei: "I am sorry, friends. It was not my wish to harm you, but I had no control over my body's actions. Vizu: take my strength for a few minutes to fend off the Spirit Binder that holds you now."
- Karei: "May Balthazar grant you strength and courage and Dwayna keep you safe from harm. Go now. You must stop Shiro before he can wreak more havoc."
When moving to Jaizhanju's room.
- Master Togo: "Ah, there she is! Quickly, this way!"
- Bound Vizu: "Get away from me, demons! Ah sang beh!"
- Bound Vizu: "I serve Cantha, not that huu na mang! He is a traitor to his Emperor!"
When Jaizhanju is freed.
- Jaizhanju: "I am shamed that I was not able to fight off the Spirit Binder. Without you, I would have been forced to do more evil... Now, I shall lend some of my strength to Vizu, in hopes that she can hold out until you find her."
- Jaizhanju: "It is important work that you go to do now, and failure is not an option. May the gods give you strength and courage for this task."
When Zojun is freed.
- Zojun: "Thank you for releasing me from the Spirit Binder, friends. I believe Vizu is in need of our help. I shall send her some of my strength, but you must get to her quickly."
- Zojun: "I wish you luck, friends. It is not an easy task you undertake, but your success...or failure...could change Cantha's future."
When Kaolai is freed.
- Kaolai: "Ah ja singka ra beh. Ah ka Vizu jai! Behnu ra fan kuu!"
- Kaolai: "Ah him ra beh yan."
- Master Togo: "We must hurry. If Shiro succeeds in binding Vizu, we may never get the information we need!"
When entering Vizu's room.
- Bound Vizu: "You! You are Weh no Su! You can see me! Come to my aid, and I will aid you in return."
 Combat dialogue
- Bound Kitah
- "I cannot stop it!"
- "It controls my powers!"
- "You must release me!"
- Bound Naku
- "Destroy me!"
- "It is using me like a puppet! I cannot stop it!"
- "Kill this body and release me!"
- Bound Teinai
- "It has taken control of my powers!"
- Bound Karei
- "I have no control! Stop me before I kill you!"
- "It forces me to harm you! Make it stop!"
- "Please, you must release me from this body!"
- Bound Jaizhanju
- "I am fighting against it, but it is...very...strong..."
- "It is too strong! You must kill it!"
- Bound Zojun
- "I cannot stop it! Kill...me!"
- "I do not control this body, but it steals my Energy...."
- Bound Kaolai
- "Ah raion ii!"
- "Dun ah!"
- "U man ah kao zaa yundin!"
- Bound Vizu
- "This...creature...it is using my...powers to attack you!"
- Vizu: "Though I knew someday Shiro would return, I wished secretly this day would never come."
- Vizu: "I recognize you."
- Vizu: "The emperor has spoken to me of his half brother, the man known as Master Togo."
- Vizu: "Tell me what you desire. If it's within my power, you shall have it."
- Master Togo: "Two hundred years ago, on the day of the jade wind, you bested Shiro."
- Master Togo: "We have come to you to learn how to do the same."
- Vizu: "Yes. It was my blade that finally turned the tide of battle on that day, but it was not me who struck the final blow."
- Vizu: "If you wish to destroy Shiro, you must find the Luxon champion Archemorus and the Kurzick hero Viktor-"
- Vizu: "-the two men who struck him down all those years ago."
- Master Togo: "Where do we find them?"
- Vizu: "The Luxons honor their great champion by keeping his spirit in a powerful spear, which passes between the clans."
- Vizu: "The Kurzicks guard the Urn of their hero with a vigorous zeal."
- Vizu: "Seek out these two artifacts."
- Vizu: "For if you have them both, the spirits inside can show you how to defeat Shiro."
- Master Togo: "Thank you Vizu. It has been my honor to talk with you."
- Master Togo: "I wish our visit could have been longer."
- Vizu: "Do not worry on such things, Togo."
- Vizu: "There will be plenty of time for us to talk once Shiro has been defeated."
- Vizu: "You can count on that."
- Fortune Teller: "You have returned."
- Fortune Teller: "Good. Good. Sit. I shall tell you your future."
- Fortune Teller: "The emperor has his eye on you."
- Shiro Tagachi: "Me? Why would the emperor be watching me?"
- Fortune Teller: "Your good work has not gone unnoticed. He thinks you are trustworthy and brave."
- Shiro Tagachi: "But what does it mean? Why is he watching?"
- Fortune Teller: "You, Shiro, will be rewarded for your service. You shall be singled out for something very important."
- Shiro Tagachi: "When?"
- Fortune Teller: "Soon. Very soon."
- Emperor Angsiyan: "You have served me well, warrior."
- Shiro Tagachi: "Thank you, my emperor."
- Emperor Angsiyan: "A man of your considerable fighting prowess should play a more important role in the Canthan Empire. Don't you think?"
- Shiro Tagachi: "My lord?"
- Emperor Angsiyan: "Why should your talents be spent defending the merchants from bandit raids when they could be put to a better use?"
- Shiro Tagachi: "I...I do not fully understand."
- Emperor Angsiyan: "Rise Shiro Tagachi, and take your place beside me as my personal bodyguard."
- Though all of the Bound bosses except Naku and Vizu have skills named after them (e.g., Jaizhenju Strike), none of them use any of their namesake skills.
- If you wish to capture Vizu's elite, Shroud of Silence, you must defeat her before killing off her mob, as the cinematic will start almost immediately after the mob is defeated.
- The countdown timer for Vizu to be consumed by Shiro stays in front of all NPC messages, possibly hindering the reading of the message. This can be avoided by rearranging the user interface through the interface tab of the F11 menu.
- The bound spirits do not instantly open the gates when freed, but instead speak some lines of dialogue when you run over to them, and finally cast a spell to open the gates. As this takes valuable minutes in a mission with somewhat tight time constraints, it may be advantageous to kill the bosses before you've eliminated their entire party, and kill off the remaining mobs while they are dawdling about.