Canthan New Year 2010
The Year of the Tiger is upon us—it's time for the annual Canthan New Year's Festival! Help honor the Celestial Tiger, a divine feline that will descend from the heavens to bestow good luck upon the populace for all of 2010—but only if the traditional New Year's feast meets the beast's heavenly standards!
The 2010 Canthan New Year's Festival begins at noon Pacific (UTC-8) on Friday 12 February 2010 and will run all weekend, ending at noon Pacific (UTC-8) on Monday 15 February 2010. On Sunday 14 February 2010, the Celestial Tiger will come down from the sky every three hours to sample Canthan cuisine in Shing Jea Monastery.
|PST (UTC-8)||UTC / GMT||Description|
|Noon, Friday 12 February 2010||20:00, Friday 12 February 2010||Start of the event.|
| 12:01 am, Sunday 14 February 2010 until
12:01 am, Monday 15 February 2010
| 08:01, Sunday 14 February 2010 until
08:01, Monday 15 February 2010
| Finales every 3 hours.|
(See accompanying chart.)
|Noon, Monday 15 February 2010||20:00, Monday 15 February 2010||End of the event.|
| UTC / GMT|
(24 hr format)
|6:01 pm|| 02:01|
|9:01 pm|| 05:01|
| 12:01 am
Several chefs stand in Shing Jea Monastery. They will collect specific ingredients during the finale. For each ingredient turned in, you will receive a Lunar Token from that chef. If no dishes are prepared successfully, everyone in the district will be temporarily transformed by the Tiger Form disguise.
| Imperial Chef Yan
| Imperial Chef Reun
| Imperial Chef Jiong
| Imperial Chef Chen
| Imperial Chef Tian|
 Finale rewards
Below is a chart describing the amount of items the player receives based on how many successful dishes were presented to the Celestial Tiger:
Red Gift Bag
Crate of Fireworks
Celestial Summoning Stone
† If no successful dishes were created, players will be temporarily turned into Tigers.
 Festival hat
| Lion Mask|
A festival hat resembling the head of a lion dance costume.
 Festival events
A feast, fireworks displays, dancing, fortunes, and a trip to the races...all this and more await you during the Canthan New Year's Festival. Here's what you can expect:
- Satisfying the Celestial animal is a tall order, especially since every festival has a few unexpected problems for enterprising young adventurers to solve.
- Want a preview of the coming year? The fortune teller can peer into your future and provide you with a very real, and legally binding, fortune. Whether it bodes well or ill, your destiny will follow you out into the world beyond Shing Jea.
- The Shing Jea Boardwalk makes a special appearance during the festival, so you can play games to earn Festival Tickets and boost your luck—or play to lose, and work your way down a different life track. Tickets can be redeemed for Festival Prizes, too.
- For you racing fans, make your way to the Rollerbeetle Racing Arena, where you'll be outfitted with your very own rollerbeetle racer, complete with its own set of racing skills. Races roll all weekend long.
- The Dragon Arena is now an official part of the festival, so head over for a brawling good time.
- The Celestial Feast lets you participate in heated cooking competitions, where you'll help Canthan chefs prepare special dishes in honor of the Celestial Tiger. Each properly prepared meal earns a reward from the Tiger, but it's bad luck to displease the beast!
 Decorated towns
Every festival brings with it a variety of problems that can only be solved by enterprising young adventurers willing to undertake a quest or two to ensure the festival runs smoothly. Supplies of everything from red dye (for Nian-scaring party attire) to fireworks (also used to frighten off the nian) will inevitably run low. And, speaking of the Nian, you never know when, or where, these New Year's festival hating creatures might attack. (NOTE: these quests will only be offered to characters that have reached level 5 or higher)
Shing Jea Monastery:
- Coordinator Tahyaa:
- Johai Sohn: The Knights Who Say Nian
- Hai Len: Hopeless Romantic
Plains of Jarin:
 Festival rewards
|Sugary Blue Drink: It's sweet and oh-so-handy when you need a quick boost of speed.|
|Champagne Popper: A brief-but-spectacular treat for the eyes and ears. They're a blast!|
|Bottle Rocket: Set off a single-shot firework high overhead—please aim away from faces and moa birds.|
|Sparkler: Light this up to create a cloud of sparks over your head—stand clear of flammable objects.|
|Red Bean Cake: These sweet treats put some pep in your step.|
|Bottle of Rice Wine: The traditional festival beverage. Don't drink and quest!|
|Red Gift Bag: It's festive, it's red, and you'll never know what's in it until you open it.|
|Lunar Fortune: Find out for sure how good or bad your luck will be in the coming year.|
|Lunar Token: Collect these tokens throughout the festival and trade them in for prizes.|
|Miniature Celestial Tiger: Drop from Lunar Fortune.|
|Crate of Fireworks: Open it inside your Guild Hall and move a safe distance away!|
|Celestial Summoning Stone: Satisfy the Celestial Tiger's appetite and you'll receive this reward at the end of a finale.|
 See also
|Canthan New Year||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|April Fools' Day||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Anniversary Celebration||2nd • 3rd • 4th • 5th • 6th • 7th • 8th • 9th onward|
|Dragon Festival||2006 • 2007 (Redux) • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Wintersday in July||2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Halloween||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 (Redux) • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Wintersday||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 (Redux) • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 onward|
|Other annual events|| Breast Cancer Awareness Month • Lucky Treats Week • Pirate Week |
Special Treats Week • Sweet Treats Week • Wayfarer's Reverie
|One-time only events||Day of the Tengu • Farewell to Gaile|