Just My Luck
From Guild Wars Wiki
|Just My Luck|
|Section||Festival Event Quests|
|Event||Canthan New Year|
|Given by|| Hapless Chong |
in Sunqua Vale
(Shing Jea Island)
Try to help Hapless Chong defy fate.
 Quest information
- Level 5 or higher.
- Find Guwon the Wise at Kaabo Cemetery.
- Collect nong berries for Guwon.
- Acquire a sparkling kappa shell for Guwon.
- Retrieve a vial of Raiyan spring water for Guwon.
- Bring the ingredients to Guwon the Wise.
- Meet Chong and Guwon on the shores of Kaitan Village.
- See Guwon the Wise for your reward.
- Go to Guwon the Wise at Kaabo Cemetery straight from Hapless Chong or Tsumei Village.
- Find the three items she requires:
- Map to Ran Musu Gardens and exit into Kinya Province following the quest marker south to the Nong Berry Bush.
- Map to Tsumei Village and exit into Panjiang Peninsula following the quest marker south west. Defeat Sheldon the Verminator for the Sparkling Kappa Shell.
- Continue south following the quest marker to Raiyan Cave for the Spring Water.
- Return to Guwon the Wise to update the quest.
- Map to Tsumei Village and exit into Panjiang Peninsula following the quest marker to the beach south of Kaitan Village.
- 10 (24) Sheldon the Verminator
- 10 (25) Lispy Stinkface
 Initial dialogue
- Hapless Chong
- "Why do I burden the world with my presence? Who would miss poor old Chong if he just leapt off this cliff and snapped his useless neck? *sigh*
- Don't mind me. I am simply coming to grips with my fate. That blasted fortune teller...no, Chong, it is not her fault. You should not blame her for doing her job. *cough* The wise and revered fortune teller revealed some unsettling news. This year something terrible will befall me. I cannot help but drown myself in depression. After all, what does dear old Chong have to look forward to? Unless...I did hear talk of a gifted woman. One so smart the gods themselves seek her counsel. Plead my case to Guwon the Wise. Only she can reverse my terrible fortune. Give me a reason to live, won't you, <Character name>?"
 Intermediate dialogue
- Guwon the Wise
- "I find the sound of the tides comforting. What is it you seek, child? Enlightenment? Eternal bliss? Affordable housing? Wait...yes. Do not speak. I know your intentions. To solve this calamity, I require three items: a bunch of nong berries, a sparkling kappa shell, and a vial filled with Raiyan spring water. Bring these items to me and I will have what I need."
- Guwon the Wise
- "Ah, I was beginning to wonder when you would return. I cannot very well have my morning nong berry tea in the afternoon, can I? Now please leave me to ponder the mysteries of the universe."
- Aren't you going to help Chong?
- "Oh, of course. What was his problem again? Ah, the fortune teller delivered grave news as to his untimely demise? Terrible shame. I can change a man's destiny with a proper cleansing ceremony. A few words, dunk of the head, and voila! He shall be free of troubles in no time. Meet us on the shores of Kaitan Village. I will need your energy to help power the cleansing...and to hold his head under water should he resist."
In Panjiang Peninsula:
- Guwon the Wise: "People of Cantha, bear witness to a life-changing event."
- Guwon the Wise: "Chong, you stand before the gods a humble servant. Your fate doled out mercilessly by agents unknown."
- Guwon the Wise: "Let your soul be cleansed this day. Sit and feel benevolence from beyond!"
- Guwon the Wise: "Oh dear."
 Reward dialogue
- Guwon the Wise
- "How unfortunate. It appears that your friend could not escape his destiny no matter how hard I tried. Why do you look at me like that? This is not my fault! It was obviously fate that brought this about. However, I cannot afford to let news of this...incident...leak out. It would ruin my reputation! Take this. It is the money Chong gave me to alter his destiny. I was looking forward to putting it toward a vacation, but your silence is a better investment. Remember, the word is, I believe, "mum.""
- You are able to bypass the criteria of collecting the items if another member of your party has already done so, and is ready for the final part of the quest in Kaitan Village.
- You do not need to collect the items in the order listed.
- You can have everyone in your party working on this quest simultaneously; however, each person is responsible for collecting their own items.
- This quest was designed by John Stumme and written by Bobby Stein.
- The level 5 requirement was added in Canthan New Year 2008; it was heavily farmed during the 2007 celebration.
- The accept and decline dialogues are probably a play on the sorts of responses found on a Magic 8-Ball
- The "ask" offer dialogue section is possibly a reference to Princess Leia's line in the movie Star Wars, "Help us Obi Wan Kenobi. You are our only hope."