Canthan New Year 2012
The Year of the Dragon is upon us—it's time for the annual Canthan New Year Festival! Help honor the Celestial Dragon, a mythical reptile that will descend from the sky to bestow good luck upon the populace for all of 2012—but only if the traditional New Year's feast meets the tiny dragon's high standards!
The 2012 Canthan New Year is a special event and begins at noon Pacific (-8 GMT) on Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 and will end at noon Pacific (-8 GMT) on Monday, February 6th, 2012. On Sunday, February 5th, the Celestial Dragon will arrive every three hours to sample Canthan cuisine in Shing Jea Monastery.
|PST (UTC-8)||UTC / GMT||Description|
|Noon, Thursday 2 February 2012||20:00, Thursday 2 February 2012||Start of the event.|
| 12:01 am, Sunday 5 February 2012 until
12:01 am, Monday 6 February 2012
| 08:01, Sunday 5 February 2012 until
08:01, Monday 6 February 2012
| Finales every 3 hours.|
(See accompanying chart.)
|Noon, Monday 6 February 2012||20:00, Monday 6 February 2012||End of the event.|
| UTC / GMT|
(24 hr format)
|6:01 pm|| 02:01|
|9:01 pm|| 05:01|
| 12:01 am
Several Chefs will stand in Shing Jea Monastery. They will collect specific ingredients during the finale. For each ingredient turned in, you will receive a Lunar Token from that chef. If no dishes are prepared successfully, everyone in the district will be temporarily transformed by the Dragon Form disguise.
| Imperial Chef Yan
| Imperial Chef Reun
| Imperial Chef Jiong
| Imperial Chef Chen
| Imperial Chef Tian|
 Finale rewards
Below is a chart describing the amount of items the player will receive based on how many successful dishes are presented to the Celestial Dragon:
Red Gift Bag
Crate of Fireworks
Celestial Summoning Stone
† If no successful dishes are created, players will be temporarily turned into Dragons.
 Festival hat
| Lion Mask|
A festival hat resembling the head of a lion dance costume.
 Festival events
A grand feast, fireworks, dancing, fortunes, and high-stakes rollerbeetle racing—all this and more await you during the Canthan New Year Festival. Here's what you can expect:
- Satisfying the Celestial Dragon is a tall order, especially since every festival has a few unexpected problems for enterprising young adventurers to solve.
- Want a preview of the coming year? The fortune teller can peer into your future and provide you with a very real, and legally binding, fortune. For good or ill, your destiny will follow you out into the world beyond Shing Jea.
- Play games on the Shing Jea Boardwalk to earn tickets and boost your luck—or play to lose, and work your way down a different life track.
- For you racing fans, make your way to the Rollerbeetle Racing Arena, where you'll be outfitted with your very own rollerbeetle racer, complete with its own set of racing skills.
- Head over to the Dragon Arena for a brawling good time.
- The Celestial Feast lets you participate in heated cooking competitions, where you'll help Canthan chefs prepare special dishes in honor of the Celestial Dragon. Each properly prepared meal earns a reward from the Dragon, but it's bad luck to annoy the beast!
 Decorated towns
Every festival brings with it a variety of problems that can only be solved by enterprising young adventurers willing to undertake a quest or two to ensure the festival runs smoothly. Supplies of everything from red dye (for Nian-scaring party attire) to fireworks (also used to frighten off the Nian) will inevitably run low. And, speaking of the Nian, you never know when, or where, these New Year's festival hating creatures might attack. (Note: these quests were only offered to characters that have reached level 5 or higher)
Shing Jea Monastery
- Coordinator Tahyaa
- Johai Sohn
- Hai Len
Plains of Jarin
 Festival rewards
|Sugary Blue Drink: It's sweet and oh-so-handy when you need a quick boost of speed.|
|Champagne Popper: A brief-but-spectacular treat for the eyes and ears. They're a blast!|
|Bottle Rocket: Set off a single-shot firework high overhead—please aim away from faces and moa birds.|
|Sparkler: Light this up to create a cloud of sparks over your head—stand clear of flammable objects.|
|Red Bean Cake: These sweet treats put some pep in your step.|
|Bottle of Rice Wine: The traditional festival beverage. Don't drink and quest!|
|Red Gift Bag: It's festive, it's red, and you'll never know what's in it until you open it.|
|Lunar Fortune: Find out for sure how good or bad your luck will be in the coming year.|
|Lunar Token: Collect these tokens throughout the festival and trade them in for prizes.|
|Miniature Celestial Dragon: Drop from Lunar Fortune.|
|Crate of Fireworks: Open it inside your Guild Hall and move a safe distance away!|
|Celestial Summoning Stone: Satisfy the Celestial Dragon's appetite and you'll receive this reward at the end of a finale.|
- The Canthan New Year finale often sees many guilds and alliances "sponsoring" a district - providing all the ingredients for the feast. To find out whether a district is being sponsored, look in party search, ask in chat or visit a fansite, for example GWGuru's list of hosted districts.
- Unlike other Canthan New Year events, the 2012 event did not occur in the weekend immediately after or during Chinese New Year.
|Canthan New Year||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|April Fools' Day||2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Anniversary Celebration||2nd • 3rd • 4th • 5th • 6th • 7th • 8th • 9th onward|
|Dragon Festival||2006 • 2007 (Redux) • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Wintersday in July||2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 onward|
|Halloween||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 (Redux) • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|Wintersday||2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 (Redux) • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 onward|
|Other annual events|| Breast Cancer Awareness Month • Lucky Treats Week • Pirate Week |
Special Treats Week • Sweet Treats Week • Wayfarer's Reverie
|One-time only events||Day of the Tengu • Farewell to Gaile|