A snare is a skill or tactic that slows or restricts enemy movement. Snares are useful as a melee counter, for countering kiting, or for preventing a player from attaining an objective in a particular PvP mode. For example, one might snare the flag runner in a GvG match, a monk rushing to heal a Guild Lord, or the relic runner in a Heroes' Ascent relic run.
A snare can be thought of as the opposite of a speed boost. Snares can be stacked, but movement rate is capped at -50% slower than normal; however, a single skill that causes more than -50% slower movement can override the -50% cap, such as Winter's Embrace.
General overview of snares
- Body blocking. A team can heavily restrict or sometimes entirely stop an enemy movement by using their own characters' bodies as a living wall. Spirits, pets, minions, and other NPCs, such as Footmen, can help body block an enemy character.
- The crippled condition. Conditions are easily and cheaply removed, but they are also relatively easy and cheap to inflict. It is possible to stack conditions on top of the cripple to make it somewhat more difficult to remove; for example many Cripshot Rangers stack poison from Apply Poison on top of the cripple caused by Crippling Shot.
- Hexes that slow. The water attribute of the elementalist, the illusion attribute of the mesmer, and the deadly arts attribute of the assassin contain many useful movement speed reducing hexes. Hexes are somewhat more difficult to remove than conditions, easier to cover to prevent removal, and tend to have more dramatic effects than the cripple condition.
- Knock downs. Knock downs utterly stop an enemy target's movement and most actions for a short period of time. Knock downs last two seconds (unless otherwise noted), but the effect can be augmented by the Earthbind spirit, the Stonefist Insignia, rapid casting of knock downs with short recharges (such as Gale), or coordinated chaining of knock downs from multiple teammates.
- Stance counters and enchantment removal can end speed boosting stances and enchantments respectively.
- Incentives. A few unusual spells create incentives for a target to choose to restrict his own movement, for example the Assassin's Enduring Toxin and the Necromancer's Weaken Knees hexes. In addition, there are battlefield conditions created by various skills (such as wells, wards, nukes, traps and spirits) that can convince an enemy to avoid moving into a particular area.
- Because many hexes can snare, Holy Veil cast before the hexes hit in important situations allows instant removal of a snare hex.
- Condition removal is good against melee heavy teams for quickly removing cripple. Mending Touch is often used.
- Stances can be used for several different reasons such as providing speed boosts, blocking attacks in order to avoid cripple, and preventing knock downs.
- Speed boosts themselves are a counter to at least some of the effects of snares. The balance between speed loss and gain will reduce the snare's effect; however, be careful of using enchantment based speed boosts when facing snares such as Icy Shackles.
Application by game type
- Snaring an enemy's Flag Runner can help your team to receive a Morale boost.
- Snaring a retreating enemy can quickly lead to the death of that particular opponent or slow their retreat as healers are required to stay longer to keep that foe alive.
- Mass snares such as the Ward Against Foes can be used to limit tactical movements of an entire enemy team.
- Snaring melee damage dealers on a retreat reduces the number of deaths your team will take when it is most vulnerable.
- Snaring foes on splits can slow down offensive splits and facilitate countersplitting.
- Snaring a target during a spike can ensure that melee attacks reach the target and that the target cannot dodge ranged spike damage.
- Snaring the Relic Runner can buy your team time to stop their Relic Runner, and also give you more time to run a Relic.
- Snaring can severely limit mobility on the capture points map and give your team the time or leverage to gain more shrines and therefore earn your team more points.
- Snaring can easily create opportunities to timekill key foes, like Ghostly Heroes or healers, on King of the Hill maps.
- Snaring enemy players in choke points combined with large amount of AoE damage, usually from the Fire Magic line.
Player versus Environment Adventuring
- In challenging elite areas, snares can be used as an important form of damage mitigation.
- Some missions/quests are much easier to complete with snares, such as snaring the Corsair Runners in the Moddok Crevice mission.
Skills that reduce movement speed
- See also: Crippled#Skills that cause crippling
|Nature Ritual. Creates a level 1...8...10 spirit (30...78...90 second lifespan). Creatures in range have 10% slower movement: also negates speed boosts. Does not affect spirits.||5||5||30||Wilderness SurvivalZ||Prophecies|
|Enchantment Spell. (30 seconds.) You have +24...53...60 armor. You move 50...21...14% slower.||10||¾||15||Earth MagicZ||Core|
|Signet. (8...18...20 seconds.) You have +10...34...40 armor and cannot be knocked-down. You move 75% slower.||20||StrengthZ||Prophecies|
|Stance. (1...12...15 second[s].) You attack 33% faster. You move 33% slower.||4||StrengthZ||Nightfall|
|Hex Spell. Also hexes foes near your target. (3 seconds.) These foes move 90% slower and takes 1...24...30 damage each second while moving.||10||1||15||CommuningZ||Factions|
|Elite Hex Spell. (5...17...20 seconds.) Target foe moves and attacks 50% slower and has -1...7...8 Health degeneration.||5||1||12||Illusion MagicZ||Core|
|Elite Hex Spell. (5...17...20 seconds.) Target foe moves 50% slower and has -1...4...5 Health degeneration.||15||1||20||Illusion MagicZ||Core|
|Hex Spell. Shadow Step to target foe. This foe moves 33% slower (1...5...6 seconds).||10||¼||30||Deadly ArtsZ||Factions|
|Hex Spell. Also hexes foes in the area of your target (10 seconds). These foes move 66% slower. Initial effect: deals 10...70...85 cold damage.||25||2||15||Water MagicZ||Core|
|Hex Spell. (3 seconds.) Target and nearby foes move 90% slower. Applies Weakness for 5...17...20 seconds when it ends.||10||1||15||Earth MagicZ||Eye of the North|
|Hex Spell. (10 seconds.) Target foe moves 50% slower. End effect: you gain 10...16...18 Energy.||15||1½||30||Illusion MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Hex Spell. Deals 20...68...80 cold damage if target foe is hexed with Water Magic. Otherwise, this foe moves 66% slower (1...4...5 second[s]).||10||1||8||Water MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Hex Spell. Hexes foes near you. These foes move 66% slower (3...7...8 seconds). Initial effect: deals 10...70...85 cold damage to foes near you.||15||¾||8||Water MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Hex Spell. Hexes foes near you for (5...17...20 seconds). These foes move 50% slower.||10||¾||12||Earth MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Elite Hex Spell. (1...8...10 seconds.) Causes 50% slower movement. End effect: inflicts Crippled condition (1...12...15 seconds). Your non-Assassin skills are disabled (10 seconds.)||5||1||12||Shadow ArtsZ||Nightfall|
|Hex Spell. (8...18...20 seconds.) Target foe moves 66% slower.||10||2||30||Water MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Hex Spell. Also hexes foes adjacent to target (2...5...6 seconds). These foes move 66% slower. Initial effect: deals 20...68...80 cold damage.||15||1½||10||Water MagicZ||Core|
|Hex Spell. Deals 75 cold damage to target and adjacent foes. These foes move 66% slower (5 seconds).||2||25||Z||Core|
|Elite Hex Spell. (1...8...10 second[s].) Target foe moves 66% slower. This foe moves 90% slower if enchanted.||10||1||12||Water MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Hex Spell. (8...18...20 seconds.) Target foe moves 50% slower.||15||1||30||Illusion MagicZ||Core|
|Hex Spell. (10 seconds.) Target foe moves 50% slower. End effect: you gain 10...16...18 Energy.||15||1½||30||Illusion MagicZ||Factions|
|Elite Hex Spell. Deals 10...50...60 cold damage. If you have more Energy than target foe, deals +10...50...60 cold damage and causes 90% slower movement (1...4...5 second[s]).||5||5||1||5||Water MagicZ||Core|
|Elite Hex Spell. Deals 15...59...70 cold damage and slows foes by 66% (2...5...6 seconds). Hits foes near you and target ally. Recharges 50% faster if it hits a foe hexed with Water Magic.||10||¾||15||Water MagicZ||Factions|
|Elite Half Range Hex Spell. (1...6...7 second[s].) Target foe moves 33% slower. This foe takes 5...21...25 damage each second while suffering from a condition.||15||¼||12||Critical StrikesZ||Factions|
|Elite Hex Spell. Shadow Step to target foe. This foe moves 66% slower (1...6...7 seconds).||10||¼||25||Deadly ArtsZ||Nightfall|
|Hex Spell. (3...13...15 seconds.) Target foe moves 25% slower and has 20 less armor against your attacks. Armor reduction only affects this foe while it has no other hexes.||10||¼||15||Shadow ArtsZ||Factions|
|Hex Spell. Projectile: deals 10...70...85 cold damage. Target foe moves 66% slower (2...5...6 seconds).||10||1||10||Water MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Elite Hex Spell. Also hexes foes near your target (5...17...20 seconds). These foes attack, cast spells, and move 50% slower.||5||2||15||Illusion MagicZ||Factions|
|Elite Hex Spell. Also hexes foes near your target (5...17...20 seconds). These foes attack, cast spells, and move 33% slower.||10||2||20||Illusion MagicZ||Factions|
|Half Range Hex Spell. (5...13...15 seconds.) Target foe moves 33% slower and you move 33% faster. Recharges 50% faster if cast on a moving foe.||5||1||30||Deadly ArtsZ||Factions|
|Hex Spell. (1...8...10 second[s].) Target foe moves, attacks, and casts spells 33% slower.||10||2||10||Illusion MagicZ||Eye of the North|
|Hex Spell. (1...5...6 second[s].) Target foe moves 66% slower. Foes with Cracked Armor have 5...8...9 Health degeneration.||10||1||15||Water MagicZ||Factions|
|Signet. (14...20 seconds.) Target and adjacent foes move and attack 23...40% slower.||1||15||Ebon Vanguard rankZ||Eye of the North|
|Ward Spell. (8...18...20 seconds.) Foes in this ward move 50% slower.||15||1||20||Earth MagicZ||Core|
|Hex Spell. (2...5...6 seconds.) Target foe moves 66% slower and takes 5...13...15 damage while moving.||10||¾||15||Water MagicZ||Eye of the North|