- This article is about the game mechanic of intoxication. For the title acquired by consuming alcohol, see Drunkard.
A player becomes drunk by consuming alcohol. This in-game intoxication is visually obvious: drunken characters will begin to act irrationally, randomly emoting and spewing various quotations. In addition, players will see their own display become warped and blurry (and certain alcohol will also change the screen color).
Intoxication works on a 5-tier system: each alcoholic drink in the game has its own intoxication level; consuming a drink will raise the character's current level of drunkenness by the amount that drink represents. For example, consuming a Hunter's Ale will raise your drunkenness by 1 tier; consuming a Spiked Eggnog will raise it by 5 tiers. The higher the level of drunkenness a character is at, the more pronounced the blurry-screen effect becomes.
One minute after a drink has been consumed, the character will begin to "recover" and will lose one level of drunkenness. Note, however, that a character is not considered officially "intoxicated" until they are at level 3 -- at levels 1 and 2, they will not emote. Once a character reaches level 5, they are at the maximum tier of drunkenness and consuming further drinks will have no effect.
Death and zoning do not affect your drunken level. Should you die or zone, your level of drunkenness will continue to progress as normal. Upon resurrection, drunken visual effects may disappear until your drunkenness level changes.
Screen color effects
Certain types of alcohol alter the coloring of the post process effect; the particular tint is determined by which drink was consumed last and the effect might become stronger as you drink more of the same beverage.
|Shamrock Ale||light green|
- By default, the table is sorted by rainbow colors: Red → Orange → Yellow → Green → Blue → Indigo → Violet.
Random behaviors caused by intoxication
- "I love you, man!"
- "I think I'm gonna be sick."
- "I'm the king of the world!"
- "Everyone stop shouting!"
- "Oh no, not again."
- "It's spinning..."
- "I think I need to sit down."
Additional emotes, only observed when drunk on pirate grog:
Skills affected by intoxication
|Stance. (72...90 seconds.) You move and attack 10...15% faster if you are not drunk. You move and attack 25...33% faster if you are drunk.||5||60||Deldrimor rankZ||Eye of the North|
|Enchantment Spell. (24...30 seconds.) Your stances last 55...100% longer. You cannot be knocked-down if you activated this skill while drunk . [sic]||5||¼||30||Deldrimor rankZ||Eye of the North|
|Skill. (30 seconds.) You have +2...3 Health regeneration. You have +200...300 maximum Health if you are drunk when activating this skill.||5||20||Norn rankZ||Eye of the North|
- Players can uncheck "Enable post process effects" to remove the drunk visuals at the Graphics tab in the options panel.
- Until the March 3, 2011 update, characters had to spend 10,000 minutes (almost 167 hours) being drunk in order to obtain the Drunkard title. The title track would progress by one point for every elapsed minute spent drunk.