By game mechanic
- Energy cost
- Activation time
- Recharge time
- Adrenaline skills
- Upkeep skills
- Sacrifice skills
- Overcast skills
By Elite acquisition
Recharge time is the minimum period that a character must wait after using a skill before they can attempt to activate it again. Skills that are interrupted or disrupted by knock down also have to wait to be recharged. Failing skills are ready immediately; they do not need to recharge. The visual indicator of a recharging skill is a darkened skill icon that gradually lightens as if a clock-hand was sweeping through from noon to midnight.
- 1 Game mechanics
- 2 Skills that reduce recharge time
- 3 Skills that involve instant recharge
- 4 Skills that recharge by a morale boost
- 5 Skills that increase recharge time
- 6 Skills with no recharge time or adrenaline cost
- 7 Notes
- A skill begins recharging at the exact moment the skill is completed or prevented.
- Before a skill is used, its recharge time can be affected by other skills, environmental effects or weapons (HSR). For example, Quickening Zephyr lessens recharge times while Energizing Wind lengthens them.
- Disabling a skill can prolong its recharge time but cannot shorten. For example, Blackout disables any skill of its user for 5 seconds. If one particular skill was recharging and its remaining time was 3 seconds, then it will be prolonged to 5 seconds. If another skill had 30 seconds left until recharge, it will not be affected by Blackout and will continue recharge normally.
- While a skill is being activated, the user can alter its recharge time by invoking a stance. For example, if you activate Serpent's Quickness before completing a casting of Meteor, the recharge time will be shortened.
- Several effects can reduce the recharge time of skills. Several of these effects will stack additively, up to a maximum of 50% reduced recharge time. However, a single skill's effect can bypass this limit and in PvE, Fast Casting also bypasses this limit for mesmer spells.
- A skill that requires adrenaline cannot gain adrenaline while it is recharging.
Skills that reduce recharge time
Reduces other skills' recharge times
- Serpent's Quickness ends if under 50% maximum health
- Quickening Zephyr also makes skills cost more energy
- Trapper's Speed only for traps
- Practiced Stance (elite) only for Preparations
- Mantra of Inscriptions reduces Signets' recharge times
- Mantra of Recovery only for Spells
- Symbolic Posture reduces your next Signet's recharge time
- Celestial Haste (PvE only)
- Glyph of Swiftness only affects spells
- Iron Mist only Air Magic spells that target a foe
- Deadly Haste only for half-ranged spells, also decreases activation
- Deadly Paradox only for assassin skills, also decreases activation, disables attack skills for 10s
- Ghostly Haste affects only spells cast in earshot of a spirit
- Ritual Lord (elite) only for Binding Rituals
- Weapon of Quickening (elite) only for Spells and Binding Rituals
- Avatar of Lyssa (elite) only applies to dervish enchantments
- Lyssa's Haste only applies to dervish enchantments
- Ebon Battle Standard of Wisdom Spells cast within the ward have a 44...57...60% chance of recharging 50% faster (PvE only)
- Volfen Agility Volfen skills recharge 66% faster (PvE only)
Conditionally reduces its own recharge time
- "None Shall Pass!" for each foe knocked down
- Foul Feast if it removes disease
- Discharge Enchantment if target was hexed
- Flame Djinn's Haste if a foe is hit
- Mirror of Ice (elite) if a foe hexed with Water Magic is hit
- Siphon Speed if target was moving
- Pious Assault if a dervish enchantment is removed
- Signet of Pious Light if a dervish enchantment is removed
- Signet of Pious Restraint if a dervish enchantment is removed
Skills that involve instant recharge
Instantly recharges other skills
- "On Your Knees!" all stances if adjacent to a knocked down foe.
- Flourish (elite) all attack skills, also gives energy for each skill recharged this way.
- Determined Shot all attack skills if target is not successfully hit.
- Oath Shot (elite) all other skills if target is successfully hit.
- Keystone Signet (elite) all other signets
- Persistence of Memory any interrupted spells while this enchantment is active
- Glyph of Renewal (elite) next spell
- Assassin's Promise (elite) all skills when an enemy affected by this hex dies.
- Moebius Strike (elite) all other attack skills if it hits a foe below 50% health.
- Anguished Was Lingwah all Ritualist hexes upon drop
- Reclaim Essence (elite) all binding rituals if a spirit dies with this skill's effect.
- Soul Twisting (elite) next binding rituals
- Air of Superiority all skills, 10% chance every time experience is earned from killing an enemy (PvE only).
Instantly recharges itself
- Renewing Smash if it hits a knocked down foe.
- Needling Shot if target is under 50% health.
- Bitter Chill if foe has more health than you.
- Signet of Sorrow if target has a dead pet or is nearby to a corpse.
- Verata's Sacrifice if you have 3 or fewer minions.
- Inspired Enchantment/Revealed Enchantment if a monster skill enchantment is removed.
- Inspired Hex/Revealed Hex if a monster skill hex spell is removed.
- Ritual Lord (elite) if a binding ritual is used while under its effect.
- Farmer's Scythe if it hits more than one foe.
- Pious Renewal (elite) when it ends
Skills that recharge by a morale boost
- Storm of Swords (PvE only)
- Celestial Stance (PvE only)
- Star Shine (PvE only)
- Star Servant (PvE only)
- Celestial Haste (PvE only)
- Celestial Storm (PvE only)
- Star Strike (PvE only)
- Celestial Summoning (PvE only)
- Resurrection Signet
- Sunspear Rebirth Signet (PvE only)
Skills that increase recharge time
Increase other skill's recharge
- Rage of the Ntouka adrenaline skills have a 5 second recharge
- Energizing Wind all skills by 25%
- Auspicious Incantation next spell for an additional 10...6...5 seconds
- Diversion next skill used by a foe
- Glyph of Sacrifice next spell by 30 seconds.
Conditionally increase its own recharge
- Withdraw Hexes by 20...8...5 seconds for each hex removed
- Word of Censure by 20 seconds if used on a foe with less than 33% health
- Shatter Storm by 7 seconds for each enchantment removed
- Repeating Strike by 15 seconds if it misses
Skills with no recharge time or adrenaline cost
|Spell. (5...29...35 seconds.) Disables one random spell. This skill becomes that spell.||10||1||Domination MagicZ||Factions|
|Spell. (5...29...35 seconds.) Disables one random spell. This skill becomes that spell.||10||1||Domination MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Enchantment Spell. Target ally gains adrenaline and 1 Energy when taking damage.||-1||10||2||Smiting PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Elite Enchantment Spell. (10 seconds.) +3...5...6 Energy regeneration. Cannot self-target.||33%||1||¼||Blood MagicZ||Core|
|Enchantment Spell. (7 seconds.) You move 30...42...45% faster. You suffer from Burning (7 seconds). End effect: inflicts Burning condition (3...8...9 seconds) on adjacent foes.||10||¼||Fire MagicZ||Factions|
|Skill. Charm target animal. Once charmed, your animal companion will travel with you whenever you have Charm Animal equipped. You cannot charm an animal that is more than 4 levels above you.||10||10||Beast MasteryZ||Core|
|Spell. Teleport to a corpse's location. You gain 25...85...100 Health and 5...17...20 Energy. Exploits a fresh corpse.||10||1||Death MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Enchantment Spell. (30 seconds.) Deals 26...85...100 damage and inflicts Poisoned condition (15 seconds) on adjacent foes if target ally dies.||5||2||Death MagicZ||Core|
|Enchantment Spell. You gain 1 Energy whenever target ally takes physical or elemental damage.||-1||10||2||Z||Prophecies|
|Spell. Projectile: deals 20...56...65 fire damage. If Overcast, strikes adjacent.||5||1||Fire MagicZ||Core|
|Enchantment Spell. Projectile: deals 10...50...60 cold damage. Gain +1...3...4 Health regeneration for 5 seconds if Overcast.||5||1||Water MagicZ||Core|
|Spell. Heals for 100...129...136% of half your current Health. Lose half your current Health. Cannot self-target.||10||¼||Healing PrayersZ||Core|
|Spell. Removes an enchantment from target foe. Removal effects: you gain 3...13...15 Energy; this spell is replaced with that enchantment (20 seconds).||10||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Spell. Removes a hex from target ally. Removal effects: you gain 4...9...10 Energy; this spell is replaced with that hex (20 seconds).||5||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Enchantment Spell. Target ally gains 14...43...50% more Health when healed. This ally deals 30% less damage with attacks.||-1||10||2||Protection PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Enchantment Spell. Half of the damage target ally takes from attacks is redirected to you. Redirected damage is reduced by 3...25...30. Cannot self-target.||-1||10||2||Protection PrayersZ||Core|
|Enchantment Spell. You gain 2...14...17 Health whenever target ally hits a foe.||-1||5||2||Healing PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Enchantment Spell. +1...3...4 Health regeneration.||-1||10||2||Healing PrayersZ||Core|
|Spell. Teleport to a corpse's location. Inflicts Poisoned condition (5...17...20 seconds). Affects all nearby foes. Exploits a fresh corpse.||5||¾||Death MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Elite Enchantment Spell. Enchants all party members (5 seconds). These party members remove one enchantment when they deal physical damage. Removal cost: for each Monk enchantment, you lose 25...17...15% maximum Health.||25||2||CursesZ||Factions|
|Enchantment Spell. Enchants all party members (5 seconds). 3...13...16 more damage whenever these party members hit with physical damage.||17%||10||2||Blood MagicZ||Core|
|Touch Skill. Transfers 1...3...3 condition[s] from yourself to target foe.||5||¾||CursesZ||Core|
|Enchantment Spell. Target ally cannot lose more than 5% max Health from a single attack or spell. Each time damage is reduced you lose 6...4...3 Energy or this spell ends.||-1||10||2||Protection PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Spell. Destroys one of your undead servants. Inflicts Diseased condition (5...13...15 seconds) to foes near this servant.||10||¼||Death MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Spell. Resurrects target party member (25% Health, 0 Energy). Teleports target to you. Disables target's skills (10...4...3 seconds). You lose all Energy.||10||5||Protection PrayersZ||Core|
|Off-Hand Attack. Deals +10...26...30 damage. This skill has +15 second recharge time if it misses. Must follow an off-hand attack.||5||Dagger MasteryZ||Factions|
|Enchantment Spell. Deals 33% of each attack's damage (maximum 5...17...20) back to the source.||-1||10||2||Smiting PrayersZ||Core|
|Spell. Removes an enchantment from target foe. Removal effects: you gain 3...13...15 Energy; this spell is replaced with that enchantment (20 seconds).||10||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Factions|
|Spell. Removes a hex from target ally. Removal effects: you gain 4...9...10 Energy; this spell is replaced with that hex (20 seconds).||5||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Factions|
|Elite Spell. Removes all enchantments. Removal cost: Shatter Storm is disabled for +7 seconds for each enchantment removed.||10||1||Z||Factions|
|Spell. You gain 50...234...280 Health. Exploits a fresh corpse.||10||1||Death MagicZ||Core|
|Spell. Two projectiles: each deals 8...28...33 earth damage. If Overcast, cause Bleeding for 1...4...5 second[s].||5||1||Earth MagicZ||Core|
|Elite Enchantment Spell. (20...39...44 seconds.) Foes who hit target ally in melee become Diseased (3...13...15 seconds); this ally is immune to Disease.||5||1||Death MagicZ||Core|
|Spell. Steals 100...340...400 Health from allied undead servant.||5||¼||Death MagicZ||Core|
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki has an article on Recharge time.|
- Some skills, such as the Dervish forms, are disabled upon ending and their recharge cannot be decreased.
- Some skills do not have a recharge time.
- Although not a skill, the Power Up Box in Rollerbeetle Racing also provides an instant recharge.
- Skills that recharge skills do not replenish any adrenaline (some people say "charge" regarding adrenaline).
- The Essence of Celerity consumable reduces recharge times by 20%.
- Although not stated explicitly in their descriptions, both a Powerstone of Courage and a Seal of the Dragon Empire recharge all skills when used due to their Morale Boosts.