- This article is about the service. For the NPC in the guild hall, see Skill Trainer (NPC).
By game mechanic
- Energy cost
- Activation time
- Recharge time
- Skill target
- Skill range
- Skill AoE
- Adrenaline skills
- Upkeep skills
- Sacrifice skills
- Overcast skills
By Elite acquisition
A skill trainer is an NPC that can teach a roleplaying character a standard set of skills in the current campaign. With the exception of Halbrik in pre-Searing, trainers can also teach characters any non-elite skills from that campaign that are unlocked on the account. Trainers can be easily identified by the "[Skills]" suffix in their name.
Purchasing a skill
Each skill costs a skill point () and an amount of gold that depends on the number of skills already purchased by that character. The first skill costs only 50 and progresses up to a maximum of 1 for the twenty-first and all subsequent skills. See Notes for the detailed progression.
Alternatives to skill trainers
There are three ways that PvE characters can save money they might spend at the skill trainer:
- Skill quests are free; often, they are also quick and easy. Beware of diminishing returns: some of the later skill quests can be long or tedious.
- Skill tomes allow characters to learn unlocked skills and either free (through drops) or relatively cheap (via trades with other players or through zaishen coins).
- Hero skill trainers in Nightfall and Eye of the North will teach you skills in exchange for zero gold and one hero skill point.
- Signets of Capture can be used to learn skills earlier than you might from a trainer, but the signets costs the same as any other skill.
Skill cost progression
The following table shows the progression of gold cost for each skill purchased: