When you learn new skills, gain new weapon components, or find new runes you will receive a message that tells you that you have unlocked that skill/component/rune. Not only does this mean that your character can make use of that which you have unlocked, it also opens the unlock across your entire account making it usable on any PvP character that you create from that point forward. Should you decide to compete in PvP, you can also earn faction that allows you to unlock further skills, components, and runes for you account.
In the game, the term unlock means to make available for all PvP-only characters and heroes on a game account to use. Skills, upgrade components, runes, heroes, and charmable animals can be unlocked. This gives PvP-only characters a greater flexibility, as they have access to anything any character on the account has unlocked.
Anything, except for charmable animals, can be unlocked by exchanging Balthazar faction with a Priest of Balthazar, provided the account has the required campaign. All charmable animals can be unlocked by exchanging Zaishen Coin and gold, or Balthazar faction with Helena, provided the account has the required campaign. Skill Unlock Packs, Pet Unlock Pack, PvP Access Kit, and PvP Item Unlock Pack can be bought. It is also possible to unlock anything through PvE play by:
- Learning skills through skill quests, skill trainers, hero skill trainers or using a Signet of Capture.
- Identifying items with upgrade components or runes.
- Obtaining a hero.
- Using Charm Animal on a charmable animal and bringing it to Emryd the Tamer.
Unlocking benefits roleplaying (PvE) characters less than PvP characters since they must still learn skills (even if skill tomes can be used) and obtain all items and heroes individually, regardless of what has been unlocked on the account. Notably, none of the PvE-only skills can be unlocked. However:
- Unlocked skills can be used by heroes, which is very important for teambuilding.
- Unlocked non-elite skills will become available from all skill trainers of the appropriate campaign (except Halbrik in pre-Searing), allowing you to buy any non-elite, non PvE-only skill of a campaign earlier.
- Unlocked skills can be learned by using a skill tome
- Unlocked pets can be charmed at the Zaishen Menagerie
If an account has access to Nightfall or Eye of the North, heroes can be unlocked via PvE quests or for Balthazar faction.
|Acolyte Jin, Acolyte Sousuke, Anton, Dunkoro, General Morgahn, Gwen, Hayda, Jora, Kahmu,
Koss, Livia, Melonni, Norgu, Olias, Ogden Stonehealer, Pyre Fierceshot, Vekk, Xandra, Zenmai
|Goren, Margrid the Sly, Master of Whispers, Tahlkora, Razah, Zhed Shadowhoof||6,000|
Heroes were previously used in the PvP game-mode called Hero Battles (which was removed in the October 22, 2009 update), but heroes currently have no use in PvP (with the exception of Training Arena). Unlocking a hero also unlocks their default skills. Miku and Zei Ri cannot be unlocked via Balthazar faction.
Some items in the list are not considered core and will not be available to accounts without at least one of Factions, Nightfall or Eye of the North.
|Minor rune of <attribute>||1,000|
|Major rune of <attribute>1||1,500|
|Superior rune of <attribute>1||2,000|
1 Superior and major runes can only be unlocked with faction after unlocking the lesser versions. Identifying runes in PvE will unlock only that specific level of rune, and it cannot be created for PvP equipment without first unlocking all lesser runes of that attribute.
2 Many weapon upgrades and inscriptions have degrees of quality that use the same entry in the list (ie: a perfect/maximum and a less than perfect/maximum level). The perfect/maximum will only appear in the list once the lesser degree has been unlocked. For weapon upgrades and inscriptions, only the highest quality unlocked will be available in the PvP Equipment panel.
|Tier unlock||Coins1||Balthazar faction1||Animal unlock||Coins1||Balthazar faction1|
|1 → 2||1 , 100||1,000||Each common animal||1 , 100||1,000|
|2 → 3||1 , 100||1,000||White Moa2, Racing Beetle4||1 , 100||10,000|
|3 → 4||2 , 100||1,500||Jingle Bear2, White Jingle Moa4||2 , 100||20,000|
|4 → 5||2 , 100||1,500||Black Moa3, Phoenix3||3 , 100||30,000|
|5 → 6||3 , 100||2,000||Black Widow4, Moss Spider4||5 , 100||50,000|
|6 → 7||3 , 100||2,000||Rainbow Phoenix2, Panda4||15 , 100||80,000|
|-||-||-||Hound of Balthazar4||20 , 100||100,000|
- 1Pay either with coins or with Balthazar faction 2Prestige Tyrian Animal 3Prestige Canthan Animal 4Prestige Exotic Animal
- UAS refers to an account or character that has Unlocked All Skills.
- UAX means that everything has been unlocked on an account.
- Festival hats can be unlocked on an account by showing a new festival hat to a festival hat maker. Costumes can be unlocked on an account by buying them from the Guild Wars Online Store.
|All skill lists by other categories (edit)|
|Core common • Blessing • Duplicate • Environment • Monster • No attribute • Temporary • Title (skill)|
Type • Unlocking • Cost • PvE-only • PvE versions • PvP versions • PvE/PvP versions • Functionality • Removed
Core (codex • elite) • Prophecies (pre- • elite) • Factions (elite) • Nightfall (hero trainer • elite) • Eye of the North (hero trainer • elite)
| Adrenaline Upkeep Sacrifice Overcast |
Energy Activation time Recharge time Skill rewards