- Upgrades are obtained by salvaging them from items that contain them, using an appropriate kit (specifically: a Perfect, Superior, Charr, or Expert Salvage Kit). Only items with an item rarity of blue or greater drop with upgrade components; the original item must be identified before any upgrades can be applied or salvaged.
- Green weapons from any campaign cannot be upgraded with mods at all (exception: Keiran's Bow).
- Noninscribable Wands, Foci and Shields from the Prophecies and Factions campaigns cannot be upgraded with any kinds of mods at all.
- Most other items can be upgraded using a suffix component, e.g. staff wrappings, runes, or bow grips.
- Those same items can usually also be upgraded with a prefix component, if they exist (e.g. staff heads, armor insignias).
- Weapons from Nightfall, Eye of the North, from the end-chests in elite missions in Factions and the Hall of Heroes chest, and all PvP weapons are inscribable.
- Inscriptions are color-coded to distinguish to which items they can be applied. These colors are shown in the table below.
- All upgrades can be identified to increase their value before being sold to the merchant.
There are numerous types of upgrade components:
|Axe||Axe Haft||Axe Grip||Equippable item,|
|Hammer||Hammer Haft||Hammer Grip|
|Sword||Sword Hilt||Sword Pommel|
|Daggers||Dagger Tang||Dagger Handle|
|Scythe||Scythe Snathe||Scythe Grip|
|Bow||Bow String||Bow Grip|
|Staff||Staff Head||Staff Wrapping||Equippable item,|
|Shield||-||Shield Handle||Equippable Item,|
|Focus item||-||Focus Core||Equippable Item,|
Prefix upgrades will add their own adjective before the name of the item you're upgrading. So for instance, if your character was wearing Tyrian Armor, adding a Radiant Insignia would change its name to Radiant Tyrian Armor.
Suffix upgrades will add their own adjective after the name of the item you're upgrading. For instance, adding a Rune of Minor Vigor to Canthan Armor would change its name to Canthan Armor of Minor Vigor.
Items dropped or upgraded with two components will display both names at once. If a player had a 'clean' (unmodified) sword, and added to it a Fiery Sword Hilt and a Sword Pommel of Fortitude, it would become a Fiery Sword of Fortitude.
While inscriptions do not affect the name of the item they modified, the inscription will be shown complete with its own name in the item's hover display.
Weapons found by role-playing characters that are at least uncommon will have at least one upgrade component attached. When these items are identified, their upgrade components are unlocked for PvP on your account. You can also choose to salvage out the upgrade components for use in other items.
| Axe • Sword|
Spear • Wand
| Daggers • Hammer • Scythe|
Bow • Staff
|Off-hand only||Focus • Shield|
|Types||Caster • Martial|
|Upgrades|| Bundles • Components • Inscriptions|
Rewards • Inherent modifiers • Perfect
20/20 • 40/20/20 • 40/40