To salvage an item, double-click on a salvage kit and then click on the item to be salvaged. This requires at least one empty slot in inventory. Depending on the item that is being salvaged, the outcome can vary.
What can be salvaged
Only certain items can be salvaged:
- Using a Salvage Kit, Expert Salvage Kit or Superior Salvage Kit:
- Crafting materials can be salvaged from any armor (except hero armor), trophy or salvage item and most weapons; this always destroys the source item.
- Common crafting materials can also be salvaged from rare crafting materials that can be crafted by an artisan, e.g. Bolt of Linen will always salvage into Plant Fibers.
- Weapon upgrades can be salvaged from most weapons, and runes and insignias from any armor and armor salvage items; there is a 50% base chance of destroying the item. When using a Perfect Salvage Kit, it is reduced to 0% chance.
- One Pile of Glittering Dust (using a Salvage Kit) or one Zaishen Coin (using an Expert or Superior Salvage Kit) can be salvaged from a Silver or Gold Zaishen Coin, Celestial Sigil, or Envoy weapon.
Some items cannot be salvaged by any tool, including:
- Starter weapons and armor
- Bonus items
- Quest items (except for Kilnn Testibrie's Greaves, Crest, Cuisse and Pauldron).
- Unique items (except Keiran's Bow)
- Common crafting materials
- Rare crafting materials that cannot be crafted by an artisan
- Upgrade components
- PvP Equipment (including the equipment of PvP heroes) cannot be salvaged in any way.
Collector weapons, quest reward weapons, and certain other weapons (e.g. Destroyer, Tormented, and Wintergreen weapons) cannot be salvaged for crafting materials, but can be salvaged for weapon upgrades.
Certain items may have upgrade components attached that can be salvaged. These components can only be salvaged by using Expert, Superior, and Perfect Salvage Kits. When this is the case, a salvage component selection window appears, displaying all possible salvage components that can be salvaged from the item. The percentage chance of destroying the salvage item is shown for each salvage component. Select the desired salvage component and confirm it (or cancel it to stop the salvage process). The salvage process always successfully produces the salvage component; only the salvaged item has a chance of being destroyed in the process. An item can be salvaged more than once if it still has salvageable components remaining and is not destroyed during salvaging.
Salvaging for crafting materials always destroys the salvage item, as it translates to completely dismantling the item. You can't choose to salvage for rare crafting materials; rather, when salvaging using Expert or Superior Salvage Kits, there is a small chance of obtaining rare crafting materials instead of common crafting materials. Items with the highly salvageable modifier or one with the "Measure for Measure" inscription yield a greater amount of crafting materials than it would otherwise.
There are four types of salvage kits purchasable from merchants or crafted by certain NPCs: the standard, expert, superior, and perfect kit. The cheapest kit (standard) can only salvage common crafting materials. Expert and superior kits differ only in number of uses; both can salvage anything, and both have a chance of destroying the salvaged item when used. Perfect kits are guaranteed to extract an upgrade without destroying the item, but cannot salvage crafting materials, neither common nor rare.
Item may be
Salvage Kit Expert Salvage Kit Superior Salvage Kit Perfect Salvage Kit
The chance of retaining the salvage item applies only to attempts to salvage upgrade components.
Perfect kits never destroy an item, but expert kits and superior kits only have a base 50% chance of retaining the salvaged item. This can be improved by 3% per rank each in the Treasure Hunter and Wisdom title tracks:
Title ranks Treasure
Wisdom 0 50% 53% 56% 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% Wisdom 1 53% 56% 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% Wisdom 2 56% 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% Wisdom 3 59% 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% Wisdom 4 62% 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% Wisdom 5 65% 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% 86% Wisdom 6 68% 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% 86% 89% Wisdom 7 71% 74% 77% 80% 83% 86% 89% 92%
Expert Salvage Kits are the cheapest way (16) to salvage upgrade components, although some prefer the convenience of 100-use Superior Salvage Kits. Expert and superior kits are also available from collectors in exchange for reward trophies from Nightfall or Factions.
Type Uses Cost Cost per use Salvage Kit 25 100 4 Expert Salvage Kit 25 3 reward trophies or 400 0.12 reward trophies or 16 Superior Salvage Kit 100 5 reward trophies or 2 0.05 reward trophies or 20 Perfect Salvage Kit 5 1 25 25 250 5 5 50
- Hero armor cannot be destroyed, allowing you to safely remove runes and insignias using Expert Salvage Kits. However, you cannot break it down for crafting materials.
- You cannot salvage an item while waiting to enter a mission.
- If attempting to salvage an (blue, purple or gold) item that has an upgrade component and is unidentified, a confirmation window will open and say:
- "This <item name> may contain magical components. If you choose to salvage before identifying, you may lose these components.
- Select Yes to salvage or No to abort the attempt."
- If attempting to salvage an identified/unidentified unique item (excluding Keiran's Bow) or The Bison Cup , a confirmation window will open and say:
- "The <item name> can be salvaged for crafting materials. Do you want to try to salvage?
- If you select "Salvage", the item will not be salvaged and a "That item cannot be salvaged." message appears.
|List of consumables|
|Identification||Identification Kit Superior Identification Kit|
|Salvage||Salvage Kit Expert Salvage Kit Charr Salvage Kit Superior Salvage Kit Perfect Salvage Kit|