Bosses are typically stronger than average monsters, either due to their usually higher level and some special traits:
- Bosses have innate +3 health regeneration.
- In Prophecies and Eye of the North, most bosses have Natural Resistance.
- In Factions, Nightfall, and Eye of the North, bosses deal double damage and have halved skill activation and recharge time.
On the other hand, defeating a boss yields higher rewards than defeating a regular foe:
- Killing a boss yields twice the experience compared to non-bosses of the same level.
- The party receives a +2% Morale Boost and all skills are instantly recharged.
- A boss usually drops up to four times more and better loot than non-boss creatures. Notably, bosses drop experience scrolls (excluding Scroll of the Lightbringer), Elite Skill Tomes (in Hard mode), and many also drop their own unique item.
- Several blessings (e.g. Blessing of the Kurzicks, Boss Bounty, and Insect Hunt), scrolls (i.e. Scroll of Hunter's Insight and Scroll of Slayer's Insight) will grant more benefit or extend their duration upon killing a boss.
- Once killed, the corpse of a boss becomes a valid target for Signet of Capture, allowing players to permanently replace the signet with any of the non-monster skills that boss possesses and the character hasn't obtained yet. This is in particular the cheapest and most classical of the two ways to acquire elite skills, as bosses in the late game usually possess one.
Technobabble is a skill behaving differently depending on whether the target is a boss or not.
This table shows the correspondence between the color of the bosses' Auras and their professions.
- Most bosses in Prophecies share spawning locations with other bosses — you might have to rezone several times to find a specific boss.
- Most bosses are hostile, but there are several boss allies: the Veldrunner Centaur in Kodonur Crossroads, Freezie in The Strength of Snow, and Grentchus Magnus in Straight to the Heart. When they die, the party receives a standard morale boost and you can capture their skills.
- Typically, hard mode bosses use the same builds as their normal mode counterparts. (In contrast, other NPCs usually have updated builds for hard mode, even if their nearby boss uses the same build in normal mode.)
|List of Bosses by Profession (edit)|
|Lists of bosses by species (edit)|
Abomination • Afflicted • Arachnid • Beast • Centaur • Charr • Demon • Destroyer • Devourer