Most fleshy creatures leave a corpse when they die. As in "real life," a corpse is the lifeless body of the original creature. Corpses may be used to resurrect dead allies, or may be exploited for certain Necromancer spells, as well as the Wurm skill Junundu Feast, and the Devourer skill Siege Devourer Feast.
Exploiting a corpse
- Skills in the game will refer to using a corpse. By this they mean to exploit a fresh corpse.
- Skills that "exploit the nearest corpse" refer to the closest corpse to the caster within spell range.
- A fresh corpse is also known as an exploitable corpse. A fresh corpse is the corpse of a fleshy creature which has not been exploited by a skill. Each fresh corpse may only be exploited once. Corpses that have been exploited will appear darker.
- If a fleshy creature is resurrected from an exploited corpse, then dies again, that creature will leave another exploitable corpse.
- Players killed by Unyielding Aura (PvP), and pets leave pre-exploited corpses.
- Some creatures, including most animates, constructs, ghosts, spirits and elementals, leave corpses that can never be exploited.
- A player that has had their corpse exploited can still be resurrected
- Skills that exploit corpses
- Animate Bone Fiend - Core
- Animate Bone Horror - Prophecies
- Animate Bone Minions - Core
- Animate Flesh Golem (elite) - Factions
- Animate Shambling Horror - Nightfall
- Animate Vampiric Horror - Factions
- Aura of the Lich - Prophecies
- Consume Corpse - Prophecies
- Necrotic Traversal - Prophecies
- Putrid Explosion - Core
- Soul Feast - Core
- Well of Blood - Core
- Well of Darkness - Nightfall
- Well of Power (elite) - Prophecies
- Well of Ruin - Eye of the North
- Well of Silence - Nightfall
- Well of Suffering - Prophecies
- Well of the Profane - Core
- Well of Weariness - Factions
- Skills that trigger when a corpse is within a certain area of effect
- "I Will Avenge You!" (ally corpses only)
- "Retreat!" (ally corpses only)
- Signet of Sorrow
- "Tango Down!"
- Corpses do not cause body blocking.
- Corpses of non-boss NPCs generally vanish after a while. Non-fleshy non-boss creatures' corpses generally disappear within a few seconds, while fleshy non-boss NPCs' corpses last much longer (approximately 45 seconds), and player character, henchman, hero and boss corpses remain indefinitely, as do the corpses of NPCs who start dead, such as the dead troops in the Consulate Docks mission.