The Northlands describes all the land north of the Great Northern Wall, which protects Ascalon from the ravages of the Charr. Despite its peaceful, idyllic appearance, the area north of the Great Northern Wall is a dangerous place, as the Charr reign unchecked as one leaves the relative safety of the Wall behind.
- 2 Warthog
- 8 Charr Axe Fiend
- 8 Charr Blade Storm
- 8 Charr Hunter
- 7 Charr Shaman
- 8 Charr Ashen Claw
- 8 Charr Chaot
- 5 Oakheart
- Historically, it was necessary to have two players in the party in order to reach The Northlands (one to open the gate, another to run through it). This was changed in the June 6, 2018 update, when the gate's timer was doubled, allowing a single player sufficient time to cross through from the lever before it closed.
- If you turn east from the road north to Piken Square, you can travel to the site where Jaw Smokeskin will start The Searing. This altar is guarded by 30 Charr (including Smokeskin and three other bosses). However, killing them will not prevent the eventual cataclysm.
- The charr have built several Titan effigies in the area.
- As you approach the Shrine where the Searing is cast, the texture of the sky changes to dark red and purple, with heavy storm clouds visible (similar to how things look in post-searing Ascalon).
- All of the Charr bosses also appear after the Searing in the Nolani Academy mission.
- The post-Searing landmark for this part of pre-Searing includes a signpost that reads The Breach. (However, the boundaries of the relevant explorable areas do not line up, e.g. The Great Northern Wall includes the east end of the pre-Searing zone.)
|Explorable areas in pre-Searing Ascalon|
|Green Hills County • Lakeside County • Regent Valley • The Catacombs • The Northlands • Wizard's Folly|
|Towns and outposts • Landmarks|