An inherent modifier is an item upgrade that cannot be changed or salvaged; they are part of the weapon itself. The term is used strictly to indicate a built-in inscription, but can also be used loosely to describe invariable modifiers (e.g. the prefix on a Fiery Gladius) or universal bonuses (e.g. the +10 energy available to any staff with maximum stats).
Weapons in Nightfall and later have removable modifiers rather than inherent ones: inscriptions, focus cores, shield handles, and wand wrappings. The following table illustrates the difference in how modifier slots are distributed in each campaign.
|Prophecies / Factions weapon||1||0||1|
|Prophecies / Factions off-hand||2||0||0|
|Nightfall / Eye of the North weapon||0||1||1|
|Nightfall / Eye of the North off-hand||0||1||1|
Exclusively inherent modifiers
- See also: Category:Unreplicable non-unique items
- A handful of inherent modifiers do not appear on drops; they are found only on specific promotional weapons, quest rewards, unique items, or items from collectors.
- Other inherent mods from Prophecies and Factions do not have an equivalent removable mod (in Nightfall or Eye of the North):
- Armor +5...10 vs. an affiliation or creature type (as with of slaying upgrades). Although EotN's Jonathan Blunt has a limited selection of off-hand items with inherent Armor +10 (vs. Charr). In Nightfall, the Aegis of Aaaaarrrrrrggghhh, Aegis of Terror, Stygian Aegis, and Stygian Defender shields have an inherent Armor +10 (vs. Demons).
- Halves casting time of an unlinked attribute's spells (Chance: 10...20%).
- Halves skill recharge of an unlinked attribute's spells (Chance: 10...20%).
- Inherent staff inscriptions with HSR (Chance: 10...20%)
- Inherent staff inscriptions that reduce duration for a specific condition by 20%
- Vampiric strength
- Zealous strength
Armor: 16 (Requires 13 Tactics)
Health +43 (while Enchanted)
Illusion Magic +1 (19% chance while using skills)
Value: 224 gold
- Weapons using inherent modifiers are often referred to as old school.
- Inherent modifiers with attribute-specific bonuses can be found in items with a non-matching attribute, e.g. shields with a chance to boost rank in a spellcaster attribute.
| Axe • Sword|
Spear • Wand
| Daggers • Hammer • Scythe|
Bow • Staff
|Off-hand only||Focus • Shield|
|Types||Caster • Martial|
|Upgrades|| Bundles • Components • Inscriptions|
Rewards • Inherent modifiers • Perfect
20/20 • 40/20/20 • 40/40