Like many races in the world, the leonine centaurs of Elona are struggling to survive. They've overcome incredible hardships, including the need to survive without help from more populous races—including, it would seem, humanity. Zhed is a centaur who's keenly aware of this last fact. He's seen his people suffer and die while the masses of humanity continue to spread across the savannah. In fact, he claims to have seen atrocities the Kournans would not dare admit. Some centaurs insist that humans are responsible for the death of their race, and Zhed certainly agrees. At best, he sees the "two-legs" as a means to an end. In the worst of times, he sees them as rivals... or prey. His dealings with humans have not been good, but if he must work with adventurers to reach his goals — and adventurers need to work with him — he'll need to set aside his animosity. How long he can be trusted is another matter entirely.
- Realm of Torment
- R indicates that Zhed Shadowhoof must be in the party
- R indicates that Zhed Shadowhoof must be in the party
Quests involved in:
Complete the primary quest Centaur Blackmail.
- Blurred Vision
- Freezing Gust
- Aura of Restoration
- Ward Against Melee
- Ward Against Foes
- Resurrection Signet
Zhed starts with Veldrunner armor and a Veldrunner Eye for the headgear.
The appearance of his armor can be upgraded to Ancient armor using Ancient Armor Remnants acquired from the Remains of Sahlahja Challenge Mission. The appearance of his armor can be upgraded to Primeval armor using Primeval Armor Remnants acquired in the Domain of Anguish and during the Ebony Citadel of Mallyx mission.
See Zhed Shadowhoof's armor gallery.
Command Post and Jahai Bluffs:
- "Humans. They always think the world turns on their shoulders. The Centaur people know secrets that you cannot fathom. Our warriors blaze through battle like fire on a dry plain. Your kind can enslave us, but never shall you break our spirits. We fear nothing beneath the open sky."
Throne of Secrets:
Quotes in the context of the Nightfall storyline:
- "Come with me if you want to live."
- "The Centaurs know much of djinn, but that wisdom was lost with the deaths of many shaman by Kournan hands."
- "The woman smells of the sea. The sea does not know loyalty. It will betray you. As will she."
- "And tell me, how do you expect to smuggle ME into Gandara?"
- "We trust a man named "Whisper?" Then we are both fools."
- "Demons fight hard. We will have to fight harder. Show me strength, Koss, or these demons will show you corpses."
- "Stop thinking. Start doing. The stars are moving more swiftly than you."
- "Truth is on the side of the oppressed. You did not learn that with my people. Learn it here."
- "On your way, two-legs. I do not care where you go."
- "Royal food taster? Hmmm. How can one be certain he tastes like the food?"
- "This "play" you speak of... it is entertainment? Very well, I will be entertained. Tell me, who dies?"
- "Tailless wretches. Furless coward! Revolting, sniveling beast of a two-legs! They sicken me."
- "The priestess is in danger."
- "Beneath the ground again? If you had not saved my life in past battles, you bald-faced monkey, I would be [sic] leave you now!"
- "Varesh Ossa is evil. Why is she not dead?"
- "Get your people to safety, two-legs. These demons must be taught pain, and we are their instructors."
- "The walls are pressing in. I can feel them. I will die here, entombed, and the wind will not touch my fur again. This is the end of me."
- "Princes? Moles. My stomach turns at the memory of the vault."
- "Roar! Let the demon hear us coming! I do not fear anything that walks under the sun!"
- "I dreamed, champion. I saw Abaddon's face, chained by the power of the gods. I saw my nails break aganist his cheek, and I was afraid."
- "Melonni is honorable. She seeks to help her tribe. If she had fur and two more shapely legs, one might think she was born of Centaur blood."
- "Do not fear! We will confront these dreams and we will destroy them. Savage rage can overcome where your useless "logic" must fail."
- "Now you wish you had as many legs as I! This Zerai sends us toward many places to seek wisdom, but he need only have chosen one: Mirza!"
- "The Desolation is a place that even my people do not tread."
- "The Gates of Desolation will lead us to the right place. Hurry! Would you see this Varesh enslave your people as you did mine?"
- "Which is worse? A live, corrupted human trying to take over the world, or a dead, rotting one doing the same thing?"
- "No sacrifice is too much to ask so that my people may live and be free."
- "Sahlahjar the Dead's words are a reminder to me that Centaurs must fight, not only for their bodies, but for their very souls. There are undead Centaurs among Joko's armies... Centaurs who will never be free."
- "I was taught peace by my people, and war by humans. If I am violent, then I can only offer you congratulations. Your kind won."
- "Spirits, too, can bleed."
- "Let Abaddon's pawns find us. We will teach them that even gods can die!"
- "Enough chatter! On to the Gate of Fear, and to battle!"
- "My weapon aches for the blood of these Margonites. Show no sign of fear."
- "I will guard you, human-friend. There is no chance of defeat."
- "It is not enough to be certain, It is not enough to know courage. You must act on it."
- "We will go before the gods and tell them we will defeat Abaddon. Then we will show courage and shatter this mad god's might."
- "Speak not. Act now."
- Nightfall Campaign completed:
- "It is over. Now my people can find freedom once more."
- "Face a true warrior!"
- "For the Pride!"
- "Here stands the fiercest of my people!"
- "I will not be captured alive!"
- "Impudent two-legs!"
- "Mercy is a human concept. You will not find it here!"
- "Now, to be sure, you will die."
- "Show me your finest warrior, and I will leave him bleeding on the ground!"
- "This is not battle! It is child's play!"
- "To arms! Rise up and crush your enemy!"
- "Whoever taught you to fight wasted his time."
- "You have made your last error."
- "You will be fodder for jackals!"
- A duplicate Zhed will show up as a "Centaur Elementalist".
- Zhed's default weapon is a customized blue Water Staff (core skin) with Energy +10, 11-20 Cold damage, an attribute requirement of 7 Water Magic and 20% HCT Water Magic.
- Since he is the only centaur hero, Zhed cannot transfer disease to or from other party members but can receive disease from other centaur.
- Zhed has a miniature version.
- As with all heroes, this one has a tonic form.
- Zhed was called Zhed Shadowpaw during beta and Korsu still uses that name in his dialogue.
- Like most non-human henchmen, he does not use emotes.
- Zedd is the nickname the wizard Zeddicus from The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind.
- The voice acting for this NPC is Robin Atkin Downes, who also voices Prince Rurik, Goren, and Prince Bokka the Magnificent.