- This article is about a location. This name is also used for an outpost and a Zaishen mission quest.
|Preceded by||Heart or Mind: Ronjok in Danger|
|Followed by||Crossing the Desolation|
The mission takes place in a nightfallen version of the Marga Coast, with realm of torment type scenery and music. It is the only place to access this version of the Marga Coast. The overland and world maps still show the character on the normal Marga Coast when in this mission.
Defeat the Harbingers of Nightfall before they can destroy the village of Ronjok.
- The Harbingers of Nightfall can only be damaged once they are affected by the purified water of the vials.
- Protect and defend Elder Jonah. He must survive.
- *Bonus* Defeat the additional Harbingers.
- You have defeated [0...2] of 2 additional Harbingers.
|Normal mode||Additional Harbingers defeated||Rewards|
|Hard mode||Additional Harbingers defeated||Rewards|
You start in the village (point 1 on the map), after some dialogue you will be told that the only way in which the Harbingers may take any damage is by using the skill Vial of Purified Water on them. Talk to Elder Jonah to receive this skill, a hex spell which at least one player character needs to equip (heroes cannot equip the skill). Taking the Vial of Purified Water is the trigger for additional Margonite forces to spawn and begin attacking the village.
Consider not taking the skill from him until you kill some of the Margonite groups around the village, along the bone crag path, up to the location where the Harbinger of Nightfall will spawn. Doing this will make the fight to defend the village easier.
There are several waves of Margonites, starting with groups of two, increasing to groups of six which approach the village attacking through alternating entrances. The last group of the first wave will be led by the Monk boss Priest Zein Zuu. When he has been defeated, a Harbinger of Twilight will spawn. From close range use the projectile Vial of Purified Water against it to ensure you're doing damage and dispatch it. After that, a group led by Elementalist boss Scribe Wensal, then a group led by Paragon boss Commander Chutal. Another Harbinger of Twilight will spawn next, and finally a group led by Zealot Sheoli. Once she is defeated you are free to travel out of the village to the old Kournan fort because there are no more groups which might come and kill Elder Jonah.
Kill the groups of Margonites up to the Harbinger of Nightfall (point 2 on the map). The Harbinger does not share aggro with the groups around it, so pulling is a good tactic. Try killing everything around the Harbinger before directing attention to the Harbinger itself. As the Harbinger of Nightfall becomes weaker, he will summon two additional groups of Margonites, once at 50% health and another at 25% health. The summoned Margonites will take some time to arrive so it may be a good strategy to retreat and engage the newly summoned foes before returning to the Harbinger, although he can be defeated before the arrival of the additional Margonites. Destroy the Harbinger of Nightfall the same way you killed the Harbingers of Twilight to complete the mission.
The bonus is to kill additional Harbingers of Twilight and their Margonite mob. These are located inside the Kournan fort surrounded by Margonites, to the south of where the Harbinger of Nightfall spawns. You will need the Vial of Purified Water to defeat these, so you must complete the siege on the village first. The first Harbinger is at the entrance to the fort area, kill it like the other Harbingers using the Vial of Purified Water. The second is located further into the fort. When fighting near or in the fort, take note of your party's position, especially heroes and henchmen. Ensure that the walls of the fort are not obstructing your attacks. It is recommended to pull the mobs into more level or open spaces before engaging them.
Unlike the Harbinger of Nightfall, the bonus Harbingers of Twilight cannot be pulled away from the Margonite mobs accompanying them.
Backtrack to head north once both have been dispatched to kill the Harbinger of Nightfall to complete the mission.
- At least one party member needs to equip the Vial of Purified Water. Ideally, have two members do so, since its recharge time of 15 seconds exceeds its 10 second duration. In single-player teams, you could use Arcane Echo and/or Echo to duplicate Vial of Purified Water, but it is not essential.
- There are plenty of corpses around Elder Jonah at the beginning of the mission; bringing a minion master (or even two) also helps prevent Margonite Warlocks from using those corpses to create Wells of Silence.
- Bring skills to interrupt the Wave of Torment spell that is cast by both types of Harbingers. Distracting Shot is particularly effective, since it disables the skill for 20 additional seconds.
- All the foes in this mission are affected by Lightbringer skills. Lightbringer's Gaze can be used to interrupt Wave of Torment.
- 24 (26) Margonite Executioner
- 24 (26) Margonite Bowmaster
- 24 (26) Margonite Cleric
- 24 (26) Margonite Warlock
- 24 (26) Margonite Seer
- 24 (26) Margonite Sorcerer
- 24 (26) Margonite Ascendant
- 24 (26) Margonite Reaper
Demons (Torment creatures)
- 28 (30) Priest Zein Zuu → Spell Breaker
- 28 (30) Scribe Wensal → Invoke Lightning
- 28 (30) Commander Chutal → Anthem of Guidance
- 28 (30) Zealot Sheoli → Arcane Zeal
- Elder Jonah: "Ahai, Melonni, Why have you and your friends returned?"
- Melonni: "It looks so... normal."
- <Party leader>: "We heard that there was trouble here."
- Elder Jonah: "There's trouble everywhere. Here no more than elsewhere."
- Melonni: "This is wrong. Something is going to happen. I feel it in my heart."
- Elder Jonah: "Perhaps if you take Melonni to your sanctuary. The waters there may help her."
- <Party leader>: "Come on Melonni. It's going to be all right."
- Melonni: Elder Jonah! I saw it happen in my dreams. The ground erupted, and everyone was dying. I didn't want to believe it, but I had to come and see for myself.
- Elder Jonah: Calm yourself, child. All is not lost. It's good that you have come. I do not think I can save Ronjok by myself.
- Elder Jonah: I have purified the village well of all corruption. Here, take these vials of water drawn from the well. The creatures leading the attack are weakened when hit by the vials.
- Melonni: I think I understand. We use these vials to weaken the creatures attacking our village. Once we do so, we can destroy them?
- Elder Jonah: Exactly. I've enchanted them. When a vial is thrown it will shower the creature with purified waters. A weakened Harbinger will be vulnerable to attack for a short amount of time, so you must fight swiftly! Coordinate your attacks!
- Melonni: It's a slim chance, but at least it's a chance. There isn't much time. Elder, let us have some of your vials and we shall take care of these abominations.
- Elder Jonah: You were always a brave child. Here, take these. Watch yourself, here come the fiends!
When the first Harbinger of Twilight approaches.
- Harbinger of Twilight: The fact that you've lasted this long is impressive. Torturing you to death will be a delight!
- Elder Jonah: Here comes the demon! Remember to use the vials or our attacks will have no effect!
When the second Harbinger of Twilight approaches.
- Harbinger of Twilight: You got lucky once, but you won't get lucky again!
- Elder Jonah: It's all in the reflexes. Be on guard! Another Harbinger is coming!
After the second Harbinger is killed.
- Harbinger of Nightfall: You may have stopped those weaklings, but you cannot stop Nightfall!
- Elder Jonah: Do not listen to them! We will be victorious! Go to the rupture at the garrison. That is where the attack started, and that will be where we end this!
- Harbinger of Nightfall: Yes, weak mortals. Come to me. You will provide precious amusement, and your death will herald a beginning to Nightfall.
- <Party leader>: "You were right."
- Melonni: "I was right. Would that I had been wrong."
- <Party leader>: "How are you feeling?"
- Melonni: "Better. It was like some dark weight was in my mind, crushing the hope out of me."
- <Party leader>: "It may be tied to the eruptions."
- Melonni: "My heart says it is. Sometimes you have to trust your heart."
- <Party leader>: "I understand. I think Koss understands that as well."
- Melonni: "Koss. He's just so... irritating!"
- <Party leader>: "Agreed. But sometimes you have to trust your heart."
- Melonni: "I suppose you're right. You think we should talk, him and I?"
- <Party leader>: "Yes. And you will, when the time is right."
- Melonni: "For my sake, I hope that time is soon."
- The Nightmare at Ronjok Has ended...
- (The Desolation)
- Margonite Reaper: "Mistress? Is something wrong?"
- Prophet Varesh: "The Ruptures. They have stopped."
- Margonite Reaper: "It matters not. When you free our lord, the Torment will wash over the world, transforming it."
- Prophet Varesh: "You are right. I can feel Abaddon's presence, like a weight in my mind. It is nearly overwhelming."
- Margonite Reaper: "Abaddon depends on you. Would you hesitate now?"
- Prophet Varesh: "No. No. Abaddon's will be done."
- Margonite Reaper: "It is, mistress. And your reward is coming, when you weaken the last barriers. Hail Abaddon!"
- Prophet Varesh: "Yes. Hail Abaddon."
- The mission is triggered by accepting the Vial of Purified Water from Elder Jonah. Not taking the Vial of Purified Water will allow you to kill the stationary mobs first.
- The area behind the village, near where the entrance to the Sunspear Sanctuary would normally be, still keeps the normal, non Nightfallen terrain.
- After completing this mission, your party will be teleported to Sunspear Sanctuary.
- Due to the amount of rapid bosses, Scroll of Hunter's Insight may last longer than other types.
- The Harbinger of Nightfall is not spawned at the beginning of the mission. It is therefore impossible to rush up the middle path and kill him from the start. It is however possible to kill the two additional Harbingers at the beginning by splitting up a strong party.
- This map takes place at twilight, possibly signifying its transition by Abaddon into Nightfall.