- This article is about a mission. This name is also used for an outpost and a Zaishen mission quest. For the explorable area, see Sunward Marches.
|Duration||Short (medium if doing bonus)|
|Preceded by||And a Hero Shall Lead Them|
|Followed by|| The Council is Called|
A Little Recon
A Prescription for Conscription
In this mission, you and Koss escort the Sunspear troops to the coast while trying to avoid the attention of the Kournan defenses in the area.
- Koss must be in your party to enter this mission.
- At least one player character must take the Disarm Trap skill given in the mission.
- Kill all the guards at the garrison posts before they sound an alert and blow your cover.
- Disarm the sentry traps before they discharge.
- Start negotiations with Margrid the Sly.
- *BONUS* Neutralize all guard posts.
- [0...12] of 12 guard posts neutralized!
|Normal mode||Guard posts neutralized||Rewards|
|Standard||0 - 7||1,000 XP||100||1||15|
|Expert's||8 - 11||1,500 XP||150||1||15|
|Hard mode||Guard posts neutralized||Rewards|
|Standard||0 - 7||1,000 XP||200||1||60|
|Expert's||8 - 11||2,000 XP||300||1||60|
Your goal is simple: bring at least one of the eight Sunspear Evacuees to the coast at the opposite side of the map for evacuation. You can do this by avoiding or removing threats along the way. Since each of the evacuees is a monk, they are generally capable of healing themselves, although you should keep an eye on their health.
Your task is complicated by four factors: patrols, Sentry Traps, guard posts, and the garrison:
- Patrols: The area is littered with Kournan military patrols. Avoid over-aggroing them, especially in hard mode.
- Sentry Traps dot the area (there is one close to nearly every guard post). As you approach, a bar timer appears to indicate a 5-second window within which you can use the Disarm Trap skill to disable it. If it activates, it will inflict 100 damage to all your allies in its area. Since the skill is easily interrupted, make sure that the Kournan rangers are targeted other members of the party before attempting to activate it.
- Twelve guard posts are located throughout this mission; they are marked on the map by a red flag if active and gray one if neutralized. If you approach and do not kill the guards quickly enough, you will be targeted by siege attacks. A progress bar indicates the amount of time you have, with different colors to indicate how rapidly they expire — from fastest to slowest, they are: red, blue, teal, green and gray.
- Morzek Garrison is the fort in the middle of the area; it is marked on the map by a red door. Moving too close will prompt a warning to avoid moving closer; if ignored, your team will be targeted by a massive siege attack, resulting in at least 600 area of effect (AoE) damage and almost certain loss of your evacuees (and consequently, mission failure). (You will not receive a warning if you have turned off Mission Progress via the Interface tab of the options panel.)
The fastest and safest route is to go directly to the northwest corner of the map (by the northern wall of the area) and proceed west until you cannot go any farther. From there, head south until you find Margrid the Sly. Talk to her to complete the mission.
Skipping the bonus reduces the length of the mission by 66% (e.g. less than ten minutes instead of 30 minutes).
The bonus is straight-forward but time-consuming: follow the suggested route to neutralize each of the 12 guard posts, periodically reviewing the mission map (default key:
[U]) to ensure that each post's flag has turned gray. You get credit for the bonus regardless of whether you neutralize a post before or after they call for a siege attack, although obviously it is safer to avoid the extra AoE damage.
The only difference for hard mode is that it can be fatal to over-aggro, especially near the guard towers. Be sure to avoid or destroy nearby patrols before approaching the towers.
- Area damage over time against guard posts, as mobs tend to stay bunched together.
- Enchantment-based builds are vulnerable to enchantment removal by Kournan Oppressors and Seers.
- Hex removal skills could be unnecessary; the only hex spells your party will encounter are Enchanter's Conundrum (the hex that is applied has no impact if your party does not use enchantments) and Life Siphon (ends when its caster dies).
- There are enough corpses for 3 (or more) minion masters.
- Kournan Bowmen use Infuriating Heat and Whirling Defense; bring stance-removal skills, skills that bypass blocking, or skills that punish blocking. You are unlikely to need Skills that increase adrenaline gain.
- The evacuees are all minor healers; consider bringing less healing and more damage, control, or utility skills.
- Speed boosts reduce the amount of time spent wandering, especially when keeping evacuees out of harm's way.
- 20 (26) Kournan Guard (axe)
- 20 (26) Kournan Bowman
- 20 (26) Kournan Spotter
- 20 (26) Kournan Priest
- 20 (26) Kournan Oppressor
- 20 (26) Kournan Seer
- 20 (26) Kournan Scribe
- 20 (26) Guard Post Commander
- 20 (26) Kournan Phalanx
- 20 (26) Kournan Zealot
- Koss: "Okay, listen up!"
- Koss: "We lost the fleet at the Battle of Gandara, but we're not stuck here."
- Koss: "I've arranged passage back to Istan."
- Koss: "There's one hitch. There's a Kournan garrison between us and the ship that'll take us home."
- Koss: "Maybe you'd better explain the plan."
- <party leader>: "We're going to lead you to the ships, but we're going to have to move quickly."
- <party leader>: "The longer we're out in the open, the more likely the Kournans will come down on us."
- Koss: "Most of you are in no shape to fight. Just stick close, and we'll get you home safe."
- Koss: "Be sure to check with Rojis about the sentry traps. Other than that, we're ready to go."
- Rojis: "The situation just got a bit more interesting. Our Kournan friends thought we might be coming this way and they were kind enough to leave sentry traps in our path."
- Rojis: "Talk to me when you're ready to learn how to disable one of these things."
When speaking with Rojis.
- Rojis: "To disable a sentry trap, first you must approach it. It will activate and you have a short window of time to shut it down using the Disable Sentry Trap skill."
- Rojis: "Get these troops home safely. They've endured enough nightmares to last a lifetime. Go, you're wasting precious time!"
After disabling the first Sentry Trap.
- Rojis: "Be careful out there."
- Koss: "Margrid! Got my boat?"
- Margrid: "That all depends, my friend. Got my money?"
- Koss: "You sure you want the money? My friendship is worth more than mere gold, isn't it?"
- Margrid: "You're charming, Koss, but I can't spend charming. The money, please."
- Margrid: "It's always a pleasure doing business with honest people. Welcome aboard."
- <party leader>: "Koss, She's a corsair. Can we trust her?"
- Koss: "Only for as long as the money lasts. But for the moment, you can relax. We're going home."
- (Morzek Garrison, Sunward Marches)
- Bayel: "You let those Sunspears escape?"
- Kournan Captain 1: "There were only a few of them, sir! We've already captured and killed most of their forces!"
- Bayel: "Only a few? You idiot!"
- Bayel: "Captain!"
- Kournan Captain 2: "Yes Sir!"
- Bayel: "Increase the patrols! Burn the villages that help these traitors! Send word to the Warmarshal!"
- Kournan Captain 2: "Yes Sir. What should I tell her?"
- Bayel: "Tell her to send me...The Hunger."
- Since it's not necessary to clear the guard posts, you can complete the mission without any fighting, and only receive a Standard reward.
- It is possible to clear the guard posts without starting the detection timer. Just set your melee Heroes to avoid combat, or flag them away and pull the Kournans with a Longbow.
- After the completion of this mission, you can arrive at Kamadan, Jewel of Istan with a party larger than that allowed in that outpost (i.e. 4). See Kamadan, Jewel of Istan notes for details.