Normal mode is the default mode of play for Guild Wars. It was dubbed "normal mode" with the introduction of hard mode in the April 19th, 2007 update. Normal mode is the regular gameplay mode of the game with NPCs' levels being progressively raised from beginning to end.
After hard mode was introduced, normal mode was made slightly easier and later updates made it so that foes would respond more slowly to Area of Effect skills.
Limitations in normal mode
In comparison to hard mode, aside from weaker NPCs, the rewards for completing missions are lower. Likewise, some titles, or just certain ranks in titles, are unobtainable in normal mode.
- Sunspear, Asura, Deldrimor, Ebon Vanguard, and Norn ranks can only be obtained up to rank eight.
- Vanquisher and Guardian titles cannot be obtained; as such, neither can Legendary Vanquisher nor Legendary Guardian.
- You can only gain 335 points, or rank 2, in Master of the North.
As such, by only doing normal mode, players can only max 16 PvE titles, not including Legendary Defender of Ascalon or account titles.
NPC levels in normal mode vs. hard mode generally conform to the pattern below; however, there are a number of exceptions. Charmable animal levels are not affected by either mode of gameplay.
- Hard mode was introduced in the April 19, 2007 update for Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall and in the October 12, 2007 update for Eye of the North.
- Hard mode foes' armor rating was reduced and their maximum health was raised in the January 5, 2012 update.