Domain of Anguish
- "Doa" redirects here. For the Prophecies title, see Defender of Ascalon.
- This is an explorable area entry. For information on the outpost, see Gate of Anguish. For information on the mission, see The Ebony Citadel of Mallyx.
|Domain of Anguish|
|Region||Realm of Torment|
|Exit(s)||Gate of Anguish|
Reward trophy in the Hall of Monuments
The Domain of Anguish is a special explorable area in Guild Wars Nightfall. It consists of four other explorable areas - The Foundry of Failed Creations, City of Torc'qua, Stygian Veil and Ravenheart Gloom. The only Elite Mission in Nightfall takes place here, and thusly functions as a lobby for staging organizing parties with convenient access portals.
Containing valuable items, this area is regularly visited by players, though new players often get killed in a few seconds. Foes in this area are very strong and capable of demolishing every team not prepared for the dangers that await them. Only in the Domain of Anguish can players obtain tormented weapons and primeval hero armor.
While on first sight Domain of Anguish does not contain an Elite Mission, it can only be unlocked by completing a quest first. The quest, Mallyx the Unyielding, brings players through every corner of Domain of Anguish and ultimately brings the player to The Ebony Citadel of Mallyx which is the actual Elite Mission.
Initially, each of the four sections are sealed off from each other; once each section is completed, the entrance to the next counterclockwise section opens. All four sections need not be completed at the same time (although doing so incrementally increases the reward from the chest upon completion of each section). The Quest Log will be updated to reflect completion of a section and the player can then enter another section directly from the Gate of Anguish at any later time.
Can only be entered from the Gate of Anguish.
The foes that are found here range from level 24 to 32 (depending on whether it is normal mode or hard mode). Groups of foes are often very diverse, containing almost every profession. This makes it difficult to rely on certain builds and often teams are forced to create a balanced team. However, players are more and more exploring the weaknesses of the elite area and some can farm certain regions solo.
Unlike most of Nightfall, the skills used by enemies are not limited to those available in the Nightfall Campaign. In addition, each of the 5 different armies have a different theme to the skills they use, that often interacts with the Environment Effect for that area.
- The Margonites focus on Energy denial and doing damage when energy levels hit zero. Repressive Energy exacerbates this problem, potentially triggering Famine's effect very frequently.
- The Torment creatures focus on inflicting Health Degeneration and general shutdown with hexes and conditions. Shroud of Darkness makes killing these enemies slower, giving them time for their degeneration to do its work.
- The Stygian Veil creatures tend to focus on pure numbers and physical damage, and Demonic Miasma punishes you when trying to block their attacks.
- The Titans, Shadow Army and Dhuum's army tend to focus on Area of Effect skills, forcing you to move more and take damage from Enduring Torment.
In addition, every enemy in the Domain of Anguish uses the Enraged skill, increasing their damage the closer to death they are, forcing parties to kill targets quickly.
The Domain of Anguish is home to several unique items, which are listed below.
City of Torc'qua
- Aegis of Terror (strength)
- , , , or Shadow Staff
- Scythe of Corruption
- Menzes' Ambition
- Menzes' Influence
- Stygian Recurve Bow
- Stygian Wand
- Stygian Daggers
- Stygian Scepter
- Stygian Spear
- Stygian Defender (command)
- Stygian Aegis (motivation)
- Stygian Scythe
- Menzes' Ambition
- Menzes' Influence
The Foundry of Failed Creations
- In the Gate of Anguish, heroes can be added to the party, but no henchmen can be added.
- The following Zaishen Quests take place here:
- Since the March 31, 2008 update, players no longer need the quest to spawn the end bosses of each area.