Energy denial or e-denial is a tactic which attempts to control an foe's energy management by keeping their energy pool low - specifically, the energy pool of characters important to the foes' defense. Energy denial is often part of a larger pressure tactic. Domination mesmers generally are the most powerful profession for this purpose, but rangers often support them as well as other professions such as necromancers.
Energy denial skills
Energy loss, energy steal, overcast skills
- "Fear Me!" on foes near the user.
- Ancestor's Visage and Sympathetic Visage on foes adjacent to the enchanted target whenever the enchanted target is struck in melee.
- Arcane Languor causes overcast on the hexed foe for each successful spell.
- Avatar of Lyssa steals energy from all nearby foes each time a Dervish enchantment ends.
- Chaos Storm for each second in adjacent range of the target's initial location.
- Debilitating Shot on target.
- Depravity on each spell cast by the hexed foe, also affects another nearby foe.
- Drain Delusions if a hex is removed. Causes the user to gain energy based on the energy loss.
- Energy Burn and Energy Surge inflict damage based on the energy loss.
- Energy Drain and Energy Tap causes the user to gain energy based on the energy loss.
- Ether Feast heals the user based on the energy loss.
- Ether Phantom on hexed foe if it ends prematurely. Also causes energy degeneration.
- Equinox increase overcast cost for all creatures in range.
- Exhausting Assault causes overcast if a spell is interrupted.
- Guilt and Shame steal energy the next time hexed foe casts a certain type of spell; also causes that spell to fail.
- Mind Wrack when the hexed foe is the target of one of your non-hex Mesmer skills.
- Power Leak on interrupt.
- Price of Pride the next time the hexed foe uses an elite skill.
- Quicksand on all creatures in range, each time they use a skill or attack.
- Signet of Weariness on target and nearby foes.
- Spirit Shackles whenever the hexed foe attacks.
- Tease steals energy from all foes in the area if it interrupts the target.
Energy degeneration skills
- Ether Lord
- Ether Phantom also causes energy loss if it ends prematurely.
- Power Flux if it interrupts a skill.
- Well of Weariness
Energy cost increasing skills
- Atrophy and Wail of Doom can negate the energy cost reduction or energy gain from Critical Strikes, Expertise, Leadership, Mysticism, or Soul Reaping, and negate the additional energy from Energy Storage, as well as reduce the effectiveness of energy management skills.
- Quickening Zephyr affects all creatures in range, increases the cost of energy skills; can also allow other energy denial skills to recharge faster.
Skills benefiting from energy denial
- Malaise ends when the energy of target foe reaches 0
- Mind Wrack ends when the energy of target foe reaches 0
- Wither ends when the energy of target foe reaches 0
All cause damage when the foes reaches 0 energy, adding pressure and punishing enemies who use weapon swaps to hide their energy. A foe with low energy is also more vulnerable to skills benefitting from a target not using skills, such as Wastrel's Worry or Sloth Hunter's Shot.