|This article needs to be cleaned up, see Guild Wars Wiki:Formatting for details.|
Shutdown means to render a foe useless in terms of their ability to affect the battle. A spellcaster who cannot get off their spells or a melee attacker who cannot damage their intended target are considered to be "shutdown".
Forms of shutdown include:
- Series of multi-targeting and/or area of effect interrupts (via Panic; interrupts of a single skill and/or a single target rarely can be counted as shutdown).
- Disabling of target's skills (all skills via Blackout, skills of some type via Power Block or an elite skill using Signet of Humility if target's build is highly depended on it).
- Disabling one of the skills (preferably first) from target's main skill chain, for example, via Diversion.
- Use of conditions to deny certain roles: constantly blinding the characters who use martial weapon, crippling (or otherwise snaring) the melee attackers trying to chase their targets, or dazing the spellcasters.
- Use of hexes which decrease the target's attributes (Atrophy or Wail of Doom).
- Use of hexes to severely limit a character's damage output or skill usage, for example Faintheartedness on a Warrior or Shame on a Monk.
- Long-lasting knock down or series of knock downs:
- A chain of knock downs can be used to prevent a target from moving or acting. This is especially useful against flag runners and overextended foes.
- A less complete chain of knock downs can be used to prevent a foe from using skills. This saves resources (adrenaline, energy, and skill recharge), but has a different effect. See also quarterknocking.
- Energy denial for energy-dependent professions.
- Preventing the use of enchantments for professions heavily relying on them (via Well of the Profane).
|Team roles (edit)|
|Type||General team roles||Specific team roles||Hero team roles|
|Damage||Spiker • Nuker||Bomber • Dagger spammer • Touch ranger • Starburster • Trapper||—|
|Pressure||Lineback||Barrager • Beast master • Cripshot Ranger • Pressure Ranger||—|
|Support||Healer • Protection||Battery • Bonder • Flag runner • Hybrid monk • Imbagon • Infuser • Orders||—|
|Control||Shutdown • Tank||Minion master • Perma • Spirit spammer||Mesmer Midline|
|Utility||Caller • Toolbox||Gimmick||—|