Spirit spammer builds are based around one of three elites, typically supported by one or more energy management skills. Since most of the work can be done by 3-4 binding rituals, this leaves plenty of room on the skillbar for additional utility skills.
- Ritual Lord — speeds recharge of binding rituals and boosts Ritualist attributes for one skill. Less frequently used due to its sacrifice cost.
- Signet of Spirits — the core of damage-dealing variants. Often combined with Painful Bond to increase the damage output of the three spirits.
- Soul Twisting — manages energy and speeds casting of binding rituals, making it a favored choice for hero builds.
- Signet of Creation — a less-frequently used tool for regaining energy.
- Spirit Siphon — a preferred energy-generating skill.
- Boon of Creation — aids energy management and helps keep the spammer healthy.
- Vampirism — a PvE-only spirit that helps keep the caster alive.
Other important skills
- Armor of Unfeeling — improves durability of spirits, especially helpful at protecting them from enemy frontline attacks.
- Painful Bond — nearly doubles damage by offensive spirits.
- Summon Spirits — to move and heal spirits.
- Spirit's Gift - excellent heals and condition support, especially with Signet of Spirits.
- Spiritleech Aura — spirits steal health, which bypasses damage reduction.
- Shaman's Insignia
- Can often use a spear and shield instead of caster weapons: increasing armor is often more valuable than decreasing recharge and casting time for 1-2 spells.
- Rapid spirit creation provides additional damage, support, and control for the party.
- Distracts the enemy from allies, increasing overall party durability.
- Vulnerable to burning.
- Vulnerable to anti-summon spikes, especially Consume Soul.
- Vulnerable to AoE damage and foes that strike multiple targets, notably dervishes and barrage rangers.
- Susceptible to critical hits (due to their low level), especially against hard mode foes.
- Historically popular names for this character have included: Soul Spinner, Spirit Wrangler, Spirit Master, Spirit Monger, Spirit Binder, Spirit Shepherd, Spirit Shaman, Spirit Spam, Spirit Wall, in addition to Ritual Lord or Soul Twister.
- The June 2009 and the February 2010 updates buffed various binding rituals and spirit-generating skills (notably Soul Twisting, Ritual Lord, and Spirit Siphon). This allowed for more rapid creation of stronger and longer-lasting spirits.
- The spirit spammer is often considered the Guild Wars equivalent of turtling.
|Type||General team roles||Example builds||Hero team builds|
|Damage||Spiker • Nuker||Bloodspike • Bomber • Dagger spammer • Touch ranger • Starburster • Trapper||Discordway|
|Pressure||Lineback||Barrager • Beast master • Cripshot Ranger • Pressure Ranger||—|
|Support||Healer • Protection||Battery • Bonder • Flag runner • Hybrid monk • Imbagon • Infuser • Orders||Sabway|
|Control||Shutdown • Tank||Hexway • Minion master • Perma • Spirit spammer||Mesmer Midline|
|Utility||Caller • Toolbox||Gimmick • Balanced • -Way||—|
|Guide to making a build • Category|