By game mechanic
- Energy cost
- Activation time
- Recharge time
- Skill range
- Adrenaline skills
- Upkeep skills
- Sacrifice skills
- Overcast skills
By Elite acquisition
Recharge time is the minimum period that a character must wait after using a skill before they can attempt to activate it again. Skills that are interrupted or disrupted by knock down also have to wait to be recharged. Failed skills are ready immediately; they do not need to recharge. The visual indicator of a recharging skill is a darkened skill icon that gradually lightens as if a clock-hand was sweeping through from noon to midnight.
- 1 Game mechanics
- 2 Reducing recharge time
- 3 Instant recharge
- 4 Skills that increase recharge time
- 5 Skills with no recharge time nor adrenaline cost
- 6 Notes
- When a skill has a recharge time, it begins recharging at the exact moment the skill is completed or prevented.
- A skill that requires adrenaline cannot gain adrenaline while it is recharging.
- When a skill completes activation, its recharge time can be increased or reduced by various effects from other skills, environmental effects or weapons (HSR). For example, Quickening Zephyr reduces the recharge times of skills used by characters in range while Energizing Wind increase them.
Reducing recharge time
- Recharge time can be altered during skill activation. For instance, activating the stance Serpent's Quickness before completing a casting of Meteor will reduce the recharge time.
- The Essence of Celerity consumable reduces recharge times by 20%.
- Several effects that reduce the recharge time of skills stack additively, up to a maximum of 50% reduced recharge time. However, a single skill's effect can bypass this limit. In PvE, Fast Casting also bypasses this limit for mesmer spells.
Reduces other skills' recharge times
- Serpent's Quickness - 33%, but ends if under 50% maximum health
- Quickening Zephyr - 50%, but skills cost 30% more energy
- Mantra of Recovery - 33%, Spells
- Celestial Haste - 25%
- Time Ward - 15...19...20%
- Glyph of Swiftness - 25%, spells
- Iron Mist - 25%, spells (due to a bug)
- Over the Limit - 15...43...50%, spells, but gain Overcast over time
- Ghostly Haste - 25%, spells
- Weapon of Quickening - 33%, spells and Binding Rituals
- Ebon Battle Standard of Wisdom - 50%, randomly (max 60% chance), spells
Reduces specific skills' recharge times
- Trapper's Speed - 25%, traps
- Practiced Stance - 50%, Preparations. Also increases duration of preparations
- Mantra of Inscriptions - 10...34...40%, Signets
- Symbolic Posture 20...68...80%, Signets
- Deadly Haste - 5...41...50% Half ranged spells
- Deadly Paradox - 33%, assassin skills, but disables attack skills for 10s
- Ritual Lord - 10...50...60%, Binding Rituals
- Avatar of Lyssa - 50%, dervish enchantments
- Lyssa's Haste - 33%, dervish enchantments
- Volfen Agility - 66%, Volfen skills
Conditionally reduces its own recharge time
- "None Shall Pass!" for each foe knocked down
- Foul Feast if it removes disease
- Discharge Enchantment if target was hexed
- Flame Djinn's Haste if a foe is hit
- Mirror of Ice (elite) if a foe hexed with Water Magic is hit
- Siphon Speed if target was moving
- Pious Assault if a dervish enchantment is removed
- Signet of Pious Light if a dervish enchantment is removed
- Signet of Pious Restraint if a dervish enchantment is removed
In some situations, skills can recharge instantly.
- Morale Boost usually trigger an instant recharge.
Instantly recharges other skills
- Determined Shot all attack skills if target is not successfully hit.
- Oath Shot all other skills if target is successfully hit.
- Persistence of Memory any interrupted spells while this enchantment is active
- Glyph of Renewal next spell
- Assassin's Promise all skills when an enemy affected by this hex dies.
- Moebius Strike all other attack skills if it hits a foe below 50% health.
- Air of Superiority all skills, 10% chance every time experience is earned from killing an enemy
Instantly recharge specific other skills
- Flourish all attack skills, also gives energy for each skill recharged this way.
- "On Your Knees!" all stances if adjacent to a knocked down foe.
- Keystone Signet (elite) all other signets
- Anguished Was Lingwah all Ritualist hexes upon drop
- Reclaim Essence (elite) all binding rituals if a spirit dies with this skill's effect.
- Soul Twisting binding rituals
Instantly recharges itself
- Renewing Smash if it hits a knocked down foe.
- Needling Shot if target is under 50% health.
- Bitter Chill if foe has more health than you.
- Signet of Sorrow if target has a dead pet or is nearby to a corpse.
- Verata's Sacrifice if you have 3 or fewer minions.
- Inspired Enchantment/Revealed Enchantment if a monster skill enchantment is removed.
- Inspired Hex/Revealed Hex if a monster skill hex spell is removed.
- Ritual Lord (elite) if a binding ritual is used while under its effect.
- Farmer's Scythe if it hits more than one foe.
- Pious Renewal (elite) when it ends
Skills that recharge by a morale boost
- Storm of Swords (PvE only)
- Celestial Stance (PvE only)
- Star Shine (PvE only)
- Star Servant (PvE only)
- Celestial Haste (PvE only)
- Celestial Storm (PvE only)
- Star Strike (PvE only)
- Celestial Summoning (PvE only)
- Resurrection Signet
- Sunspear Rebirth Signet (PvE only)
Skills that increase recharge time
Increase other skill's recharge
- Rage of the Ntouka adrenaline skills have a 5 second recharge
- Energizing Wind all skills by 25%
- Auspicious Incantation next spell for an additional 10...6...5 seconds
- Diversion next skill used by a foe
- Glyph of Sacrifice next spell by 30 seconds.
Conditionally increase its own recharge
- Withdraw Hexes by 20...8...5 seconds for each hex removed
- Word of Censure by 20 seconds if used on a foe with less than 33% health
- Shatter Storm by 7 seconds for each enchantment removed
- Repeating Strike by 15 seconds if it misses
Skills with no recharge time nor adrenaline cost
|Arcane Larceny||Spell. (5...29...35 seconds.) Disables one random spell. This skill becomes that spell.||10||1||Domination MagicZ||Factions|
|Arcane Thievery||Spell. (5...29...35 seconds.) Disables one random spell. This skill becomes that spell.||10||1||Domination MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Balthazar's Spirit||Enchantment Spell. Target ally gains adrenaline and 1 Energy when taking damage.||-1||10||2||Smiting PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Blood is Power||Elite Enchantment Spell. (10 seconds.) +3...5...6 Energy regeneration. Cannot self-target.||33%||1||¼||Blood MagicZ||Core|
|Burning Speed||Enchantment Spell. (7 seconds.) You move 30...42...45% faster. You suffer from Burning (7 seconds). End effect: inflicts Burning condition (3...8...9 seconds) on adjacent foes.||10||¼||Fire MagicZ||Factions|
|Charm Animal||Skill. Charm target animal. Once charmed, your animal companion will travel with you whenever you have Charm Animal equipped. You cannot charm an animal that is more than 4 levels above you.||10||10||Beast MasteryZ||Core|
|Consume Corpse||Spell. Teleport to a corpse's location. You gain 25...85...100 Health and 5...17...20 Energy. Exploits a fresh corpse.||10||1||Death MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Death Nova||Enchantment Spell. (30 seconds.) Deals 26...85...100 damage and inflicts Poisoned condition (15 seconds) on adjacent foes if target ally dies.||5||2||Death MagicZ||Core|
|Essence Bond||Enchantment Spell. You gain 1 Energy whenever target ally takes physical or elemental damage.||-1||10||2||Z||Prophecies|
|Flare||Spell. Projectile: deals 20...56...65 fire damage. If Overcast, strikes adjacent.||5||1||Fire MagicZ||Core|
|Ice Spear||Enchantment Spell. Projectile: deals 10...50...60 cold damage. Gain +1...3...4 Health regeneration for 5 seconds if Overcast.||5||1||Water MagicZ||Core|
|Infuse Health||Spell. Heals for 100...129...136% of half your current Health. Lose half your current Health. Cannot self-target.||10||¼||Healing PrayersZ||Core|
|Inspired Enchantment||Spell. Removes an enchantment from target foe. Removal effects: you gain 3...13...15 Energy; this spell is replaced with that enchantment (20 seconds).||10||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Inspired Hex||Spell. Removes a hex from target ally. Removal effects: you gain 4...9...10 Energy; this spell is replaced with that hex (20 seconds).||5||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Life Attunement||Enchantment Spell. Target ally gains 14...43...50% more Health when healed. This ally deals 30% less damage with attacks.||-1||10||2||Protection PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Life Bond||Enchantment Spell. Half of the damage target ally takes from attacks is redirected to you. Redirected damage is reduced by 3...25...30. Cannot self-target.||-1||10||2||Protection PrayersZ||Core|
|Live Vicariously||Enchantment Spell. You gain 2...14...17 Health whenever target ally hits a foe.||-1||5||2||Healing PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Mending||Enchantment Spell. +1...3...4 Health regeneration.||-1||10||2||Healing PrayersZ||Core|
|Necrotic Traversal||Spell. Teleport to a corpse's location. Inflicts Poisoned condition (5...17...20 seconds). Affects all nearby foes. Exploits a fresh corpse.||5||¾||Death MagicZ||Prophecies|
|Order of Apostasy||Elite Enchantment Spell. Enchants all party members (5 seconds). These party members remove one enchantment when they deal physical damage. Removal cost: for each Monk enchantment, you lose 25...17...15% maximum Health.||25||2||CursesZ||Factions|
|Order of Pain||Enchantment Spell. Enchants all party members (5 seconds). 3...13...16 more damage whenever these party members hit with physical damage.||17%||10||2||Blood MagicZ||Core|
|Plague Touch||Touch Skill. Transfers 1...3...3 condition[s] from yourself to target foe.||5||¾||CursesZ||Core|
|Protective Bond||Enchantment Spell. Target ally cannot lose more than 5% max Health from a single attack or spell. Each time damage is reduced you lose 6...4...3 Energy or this spell ends.||-1||10||2||Protection PrayersZ||Prophecies|
|Putrid Flesh||Spell. Destroys one of your undead servants. Inflicts Diseased condition (5...13...15 seconds) to foes near this servant.||10||¼||Death MagicZ||Nightfall|
|Rebirth||Spell. Resurrects target party member (25% Health, 0 Energy). Teleports target to you. Disables target's skills (10...4...3 seconds). You lose all Energy.||10||5||Protection PrayersZ||Core|
|Repeating Strike||Off-Hand Attack. Deals +10...26...30 damage. This skill has +15 second recharge time if it misses. Must follow an off-hand attack.||5||Dagger MasteryZ||Factions|
|Retribution||Enchantment Spell. Deals 33% of each attack's damage (maximum 5...17...20) back to the source.||-1||10||2||Smiting PrayersZ||Core|
|Revealed Enchantment||Spell. Removes an enchantment from target foe. Removal effects: you gain 3...13...15 Energy; this spell is replaced with that enchantment (20 seconds).||10||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Factions|
|Revealed Hex||Spell. Removes a hex from target ally. Removal effects: you gain 4...9...10 Energy; this spell is replaced with that hex (20 seconds).||5||1||Inspiration MagicZ||Factions|
|Shatter Storm||Elite Spell. Removes all enchantments. Removal cost: Shatter Storm is disabled for +7 seconds for each enchantment removed.||10||1||Z||Factions|
|Soul Feast||Spell. You gain 50...234...280 Health. Exploits a fresh corpse.||10||1||Death MagicZ||Core|
|Stone Daggers||Spell. Two projectiles: each deals 8...28...33 earth damage. If Overcast, cause Bleeding for 1...4...5 second[s].||5||1||Earth MagicZ||Core|
|Tainted Flesh||Elite Enchantment Spell. (20...39...44 seconds.) Foes who hit target ally in melee become Diseased (3...13...15 seconds); this ally is immune to Disease.||5||1||Death MagicZ||Core|
|Taste of Death||Spell. Steals 100...340...400 Health from allied undead servant.||5||¼||Death MagicZ||Core|
In some occasions, skills can be disabled for an extended period of time
- Disabling an already recharging skill can prolong its recharge time but cannot shorten it. For instance, Blackout disables any skill of its user for 5 seconds. If one particular skill was recharging and its remaining time was 3 seconds, then it will be prolonged to 5 seconds. If another skill had 30 seconds left until recharge, it will not be affected by Blackout and will continue recharge normally.
- Some skills, such as the Dervish forms, are disabled upon ending and their recharge cannot be decreased.
- Additional recharge time and disabling duration are unaffected by skills that reduce recharge time. For instance, casting Meteor Shower (60s recharge time) after Glyph of Sacrifice (+30s recharge time) while under Serpent's Quickness (33% recharge time reduction) will lead to a 2/3*60s+30s=70s recharge time instead of 2/3*(60s+30s)=60s recharge time.
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki has an article on Recharge time.|