Double-click to take out or put away.
— in-game description
Miniatures are small replicas of different creatures and other NPCs found in Guild Wars. They are often referred to as miniature pets, minipets (by "Devotion"), or minis for short. They are not capable of attacking or interacting with other game elements in any way. They are mainly for show and are mostly used by ArenaNet as a means of rewarding a player's achievements or dedication to the game.
Miniatures are "taken out" or summoned by double-clicking the miniature icon in your character's inventory. The miniature will appear and start to move around your character, running towards your character if they move too far away. To "put away" or dismiss it, double-click the miniature icon again. If you summon another miniature or move to another instance, the previously summoned miniature is automatically dismissed.
In every instance, there is a maximum summon limit of 20+ miniatures. Miniatures are silent in guild halls, outposts, and towns, but may make sound effects similar to the actual NPCs that they represent while not in a guild hall, outpost nor town.
Dedication and trading
Miniatures can be displayed in the "Devotion" monument in the Hall of Monuments. This dedication process is irreversible: once added to a character's monument, that particular miniature cannot be undedicated or dedicated for any other character. However, dedicated miniatures can be traded to and summoned by other characters.
Miniatures cannot be sold to merchants. Undedicated miniatures are generally in high demand, since players earn points at the Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator for each distinct miniature they dedicate. Certain popular dedicated miniatures can also fetch high prices.
By Birthday Presents by year
Characters reaching 24 months of age will receive an unopened second-year present in their inventory, which will contain one of the following miniatures:
Characters reaching 36 months of age will receive an unopened third-year present in their inventory, which will contain one of the following miniatures:
Characters reaching 48 months of age will receive an unopened fourth-year present in their inventory, which will contain one of the following miniatures:
Characters reaching 60 months of age will receive an unopened fifth-year present in their inventory, which will contain one of the following miniatures:
- See also: Birthday_Present#Sixth_birthday
Characters reaching 72 months of age will receive an unopened sixth-year present in their inventory, which will not contain a miniature. It will contain a tonic instead.
Characters reaching 84 months of age will receive an unopened seventh-year present in their inventory, which will contain a Purple, Gold or Green miniature from any of the first five years of presents (first row) and several previously exclusive miniatures from other sources (second row):
By in-game reward
|Coffer of Whispers random reward|
|Cross-campaign scavenger hunt|
|Gift of the Traveler|
|Hall of Heroes random reward|
|Imperial Guard Lockbox|
|Peacekeepers (War in Kryta)|
|White Mantle (War in Kryta)|
|Champion's Zaishen Strongbox|
|Gladiator's Zaishen Strongbox|
|Strategist's Zaishen Strongbox|
During festival events only
|Canthan New Year|
|Shing Jea Boardwalk events (since 2013)|
|Wayfarer's Reverie (since 2013)|
|Wintersday (since 2007)|
|Farewell to Gaile3|
Historical / Unobtainable
|Guild Wars Factions|
|Guild Wars Nightfall|
|San Diego Comic-Con 2007,
Indianapoilis Gen Con (2007),
and Penny Arcade Expo (2007),
European Magazine Promotions
These are miniatures that are obtained as part of championships, official contests, as promotional miniatures in the Taiwan and Japan territories, and as promotional magazine giveaways in the European region. The Naga Raincaller, Oni, Shiro'ken Assassin, Zhed Shadowhoof, and Vizu miniatures were also made available in seventh-year Birthday Presents.
- The game treats miniatures as allies:
- Miniatures have been observed to have drops assigned to them; however, the owner of the miniature is still able to pick up the drop. (Sources: Image & discussion.)
- There are currently 127 different miniatures in the game (40 white, 19 purple, 46 gold, and 22 green), including the 3 unique Frogs.
- Celestial miniatures, although made of light, cast a shadow below them.
- There is a 10 second cooldown between using miniatures.
- Before the October 12, 2007 update:
- Miniatures would die if hit by a snow ball or boulder.
- The Hall of Monuments allowed players to customize miniatures instead. If you take a customized miniature back to the Hall of Monuments, it will give you the option to remove the customization and dedicate the miniature instead.
- These customized miniatures display in the HoM Calculator without adverse effects.
- Many high-end miniatures are no longer in circulation, as they belonged to accounts that have been permanently banned.
- Hours before the first year miniatures were due to be released, all newly created characters spawned with a miniature. The game was rolled back an hour later, after many exploited this bug.
- New birthday miniatures were introduced near the first five anniversaries since the game's release: April 27th, 2007; April 25th, 2008; April 26th, 2009; and April 23rd, 2010.
- The January 22, 2015 update introduced the usage cooldown.
- There is a printable miniature check list to keep track.
- The May 09, 2018 update Increased the maximum number of active minipets allowed in outposts.