Black Moa Chick
|Black Moa Chick|
- Get a copy of Zho's Journal (requires EotN);
- Bring it to Katharine to craft an Incubator Kit (requires Factions);
- Fill the kit with 6 items from across the 3 continents (requires the three primary campaigns);
- Take the filled kit to Sorrow's Furnace and allow yourself to be zapped by the Iron Forgeman (requires Prophecies).
- Zho's Journal: provided by Zho in the third round of the Norn Fighting Tournament; customized to each character.
- Incubator Kit: crafted by Katharine in Gyala Hatchery (explorable area) for 50 , 10 , and 5 .
- The character's personalized copy of Zho's Journal must be in their inventory when they speak to Katharine.
- Reaching Katharine requires partial completion of the Luxon storyline.
- Items for the kit:
- A Hardened Moa Egg, which requires taking a normal Moa Egg and hardening it.
- Nesting Material, from Nuwisha in southern Resplendent Makuun for 5 Skree Wings.
- A Volcanic Rock, from north-eastern Perdition Rock.
- A Herring, from Gruhn the Fisher (in western Twin Serpent Lakes), in exchange for 5 Bog Skale Fins (which can be farmed in Tears of the Fallen or Stingray Strand).
- A Branch of Juni Berries, a reward from the Insatiable Appetite quest in Marga Coast.
- A Honeycomb, which is most easily obtained as a random drop from a Gift of the Traveler or completing A Hunter's Pride. (There are two other sources.)
Incubator kit operation
To place the items in the incubator, double-click on the incubator to open a small window and drag the item into it. Doing this will remove the item from your inventory. The incubator window will show translucent icons as place holders for the six items, which will be replaced with the opaque icon when each item is added.
Once all six items are placed in the incubator, travel to Sorrow's Furnace with the quest The Final Assault and The Forge Heart active. Fight your way to the central furnace and allow yourself to be hit by Sorrow's Flame, which will hatch the Black Moa Chick (consuming the incubator and its contents). If you are having trouble hatching the chick: check that you were actually hit by Sorrow's Flame and that all items are inside the incubator (and not just in your inventory).
Although the nearby giant furnace (near the Rage Binders) uses a similar skill, the Black Moa Chick hatches only if you are covered by the liquid metal poured down by the Iron Forgeman.
- Zho's Journal becomes redundant once you have acquired the Incubator Kit; you can safely discard it after.
- The Black Moa Chick can only be acquired once per character.
- Most of the scavenger hunt activities can be performed by anyone. However,
- As noted above, only your character can buy the Incubator Kit.
- Your character must bring the fully loaded kit into Sorrow's Furnace.
- In addition, the Nesting Material must be gathered by one of the characters on your account (it need not be the one who is scavenging for supplies).
- This miniature is slightly smaller than a character in Black Moa Chick Form.
- You do not need the quest The Final Assault to hatch the miniature. If any member of your party has this quest active, you may take the quest The Forge Heart when you enter Sorrow's Furnace. The Black Moa Chick will hatch when you are hit by Sorrow's Flame.
- The Black Moa Chick model does not have any eyes.
- Like the Brown and the White Rabbit, and the Gwen Doll, this item is not prefixed by the word "Miniature".
- The Black Moa Chick is the first miniature to have an original model made specifically for it, rather than using a resized model of another NPC.
- Prior to the 2007, September 6th update, you could "trick-trade" the customized Nesting Material.
The Black Moa Chick...
Katharine Moa Nests Mourning Veil Falls Nuwisha Volcanic Rocks Gruhn Chuno (0) Incubator Kit
(From Leviathan Pits)
(1a) Moa Egg
(In Regent Valley)
(1b) Moa Egg hardening
(At Mourning Veil Falls)
(2) Nesting Material
(From Yahnur Market)
(3) Volcanic Rock
(From Perdition Rock)
(From Riverside Province)
(5) Branch of Juni Berries
(With Insatiable Appetite active)