Flames of the Bear Spirit
|Flames of the Bear Spirit|
|Section||Primary Norn Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by||Egil Fireteller |
in Jaga Moraine
|Part of||Northern Allies|
|Preceded by||Curse of the Nornbear|
|Followed by||Blood Washes Blood|
(Click to enlarge)
- Travel to the sacred altar and light the spiritual flame to summon the bear spirit.
- Prevent the arctic nightmares from consuming the spiritual flame.
- See Egil Fireteller for your reward.
Lead Egil Fireteller and your party through Jaga Moraine to the Bear Spirit's altar. Fight off the invading Arctic Nightmares, and try to interrupt their Consume Flames skill. When all the invading waves are killed, Bear Spirit appears and Egil Fireteller gives you the reward. Fire damage is useful against most of the foes going to the sacred altar.
In Jaga Moraine
- 20 (26) Bear Spirit
- 20 (20) Egil Fireteller
- 24 (30) Arctic Nightmare
- Egil Fireteller
- It's good to see that Jora can once again become the bear. Now, mayhaps, [sic] she may regain her status. There is but one obstacle, one mountain she must yet climb. Her clan homestead is overrun with Charr. No respected Norn would allow the land to be violated by such beasts. If you help Jora reclaim her lands, only then will she be able to help you. You will all need the strength of Bear herself to defeat the Charr. We must first commune with the bear spirit and seek counsel. Let us journey to the sacred altar south of here. We will light the spiritual flame. Bear will come if our cause is true.
- Egil Fireteller: The bear spirit is the strength of the mountains. The Norn owe Bear more than just our prowess in battle....
- Egil Fireteller: We owe our homes and lives to Bear. You must show your strength of spirit by protecting the sacred flame.
- Egil Fireteller: Only once the bear spirit has deemed you worthy will she appear. Show your strength, small one, and prove your worth. I will aid you in this ritual.
Reaching the altar
- <Party leader>: By the True Gods! These nightmare creatures are attracted to the sacred flame!
- Egil Fireteller: There is the altar. Light the spiritual flame.
- <Party leader>: Fend them off lest they consume the fire.
Claiming the altar
- Egil Fireteller: Well done. The sacred flame burns brightly. Let us kneel and ask for Bear's blessing.
The Blood Washes Blood cinematic plays.
- Egil Fireteller
- You know what must be done. Jora's lands must be purged of the Charr. Their kind do not respect the spirit of the land. We must journey up the mountain to the Shrine of the Bear Spirit. It is there that Bear shall grant you the power you need to repel the Charr. Once you are ready, let us journey into Bjora Marches.
- Upon accepting the quest reward, you also accept the quest Blood Washes Blood.
- If you leave the map after completing only the first part of this quest (capturing the altar), you will have to re-capture the altar by standing near it. If this doesn't work, you may have to abandon and redo the quest.
- Arctic Nightmares do not drop loot, yield experience, or count for Norn Hunting Party; ANet has confirmed this to be intentional.
- The nightmares at the altar do not cease to spawn, which can be problematic for parties lacking enough means to deal with them. In this case (if party protection and healing permits) a player can disable all damage skills equipped on healers, set all heroes to Avoid Combat and flag the party near Jarnskeggi. From there, pull the six spawn Arctic Nightmares into the team area. While the team resists the Arctic Nightmares attacks, a player should have enough time to move to the altar, with Egil Fireteller following them, and capture it successfully.