Curse of the Nornbear
- This article is about a primary quest. This name is also used for a Zaishen mission quest. For the explorable area, see Drakkar Lake.
|Curse of the Nornbear|
|Section||Primary Norn Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by|| Sif Shadowhunter |
|Part of||Northern Allies|
|Preceded by||Tracking the Nornbear|
|Followed by|| Flames of the Bear Spirit|
Vision of the Raven Spirit
Leader of the Pack
(Click to enlarge)
Use the spirit of the wolf to help you track down and kill the Nornbear.
- Speak to Sif in Sifhalla to begin the hunt. (disappears from Quest Log after entering Mission)
- Join Jora and Sif. Get the Volfen Blessing from the Shrine of the Wolf Spirit.
- Invoke the Volfen Blessing to receive the abilities of the wolf spirit.
- Track down Svanir, the Nornbear.
- Receive Volfen Blessing from Sif.
- Use the skill Volfen Bloodlust to follow the scent of the Nornbear.
- Stay on Svanir's trail.
- Pursue Svanir. Don't let him escape.
- Slay Svanir, the Nornbear.
- Norn reputation points
- First time: 1,000 (1,500 in hard mode)
- On repeat: 100 (150 in hard mode)
- 2,500 Experience
- Jora joins your party
Head into the cave with Jora and Sif after dispatching of the mandragor patrol and the enemies therein. Head to the center isle at the Shrine of the Wolf Spirit (point 1) surrounded by friendly Stonewolves who quickly turn on you. Finish the giant guarding the shrine and collect the Volfen Blessing from it. When you activate it, your skill bar will be replaced by a different set of 5 skills. By using one of these skills, Volfen Bloodlust, you can "detect the presence of Svanir". This means that his location will show up on the Mission Map as long as the skill is active. He will appear at points 2 and 3 on the map, where he will flee after you have brought his health down to about 50%. At point 4, kill it and you have completed the mission. After the cinematic you will be taken back to Sifhalla and Jora will be unlocked as a hero for you.
You can use the following shortcut, which is especially useful for speed booking:
- Ignore the quest markers and head straight for the spawn points. As soon as the Nornbear spawns, head for the next one; do not fight him.
- The quest will not update (and the starburst will not move), but your target will keep respawning at the correct locations. At the third location, kill him.
- You do not need to bring Volfen Blessing (or visit the Wolf Shrine).
- Consider bringing skills that require or benefit from Bleeding, since Jora (Sever Artery) and Sif Shadowhunter (Melandru's Shot) can inflict Bleeding.
- 28 (30) Jotun Skullsmasher
- 28 (30) Jotun Bloodcurdler
- 28 (30) Jotun Bladeturner
- 28 (30) Jotun Mindbreaker
- 20 (26) Mandragor Scavenger
- 20 (26) Ulcerous Mandragor
- 20 (26) Dreamroot Mandragor
- 20 (26) Mystic Mandragor
- 24 (30) Nornbear
- (Curse of the Nornbear)
- Svanir, the Nornbear, has been sighted in the caves above Drakkar Lake. Help Jora and Sif track down Svanir and kill him.
- Sif Shadowhunter
- "I am Sif, great hunter of the north, slayer of ten dozen wolves, threescore bear, and one vicious rabbit."
- Sif Shadowhunter: The Nornbear strikes hard and then vanishes. To catch him, we must invoke the power of the wolf spirit. Travel with me to the Shrine of the Wolf Spirit and receive Wolf's blessing!
At the Shrine of the Wolf Spirit:
- Jora: Wolf is pleased! The Shrine of the Wolf Spirit imbues you with its aura. This magic does not provide the physical prowess we receive from the bear spirit, but it will help in this hunt. Invoke the power and then follow your nose!
First encounter with the Nornbear.
- Jora: I have come for you. Show yourself, brother!
Second encounter with the Nornbear.
- Jora: Face your fate, Svanir! Your treacherous blood must flow to cleanse our family.
Third encounter with the Nornbear.
- Jora: It comes to this, brother. I have no choice.
- Nornbear: Swallow your pathetic excuses and your pity, sister. Your weakness will be your downfall.
- Jora: Forgive me, Brother. This is for the best.
- Jora: "Stand aside. I must finish this."
- <Party leader>: "Jora, he's defeated."
- Jora: "He is my brother. He is my responsibility."
- <Party leader>: "Jora, you have my sympathy."
- Jora: "This was the only way it could end."
- Jora: "The curse is lifted. For both me and Svanir, I think."
- Jora: "You have helped me. I shall help you."
- Ogden Stonehealer: "Good. We need to unite the other Norn to fight the Destroyers."
- Jora: "I fear my words will carry little weight. I have my brother's blood on my hands."
- Ogden Stonehealer: "If you can't influence the Norn, then who can?"
- Jora: "Olaf the sevenfold son of Olaf is esteemed by many. As for me, I must seek Egil, who tells tales by the flame, to fully redeem my family's name."
- Ogden Stonehealer: "Olaf it is, then. I need to talk to a Norn leader."
- Jora: "Norn do not have leaders, Dwarf. Only heroes."
- <Party leader>: "Jora, we can aid you and seek out allies. Let us help you with your burdens."
- Jora: "You have the spirit of a Norn, human. I am proud to call you friend."
- There is no dialogue. The reward is accepted automatically.
- The Nornbear cinematic plays at the end of the quest. You will then be returned to Sifhalla.
- Sif Shadowhunter allows players already using Volfen Bloodlust to re-equip the skill (thus effectively making it maintainable).
- The Volfen Blessing is an optional skill that is not needed to complete this mission.
- This quest (and all primary repeatable Eye of the North quests) may also be obtained from the Scrying Pool in the Hall of Monuments after completing it once.
- If you completed this quest during GW:EN test weekend, you do not gain any credit for it in your Hero's Handbook but can have it inserted in your book by paying one of the NPCs that collects books.
|Eye of the North primary repeatable quests and missions|
|Asura arc: Finding the Bloodstone and The Elusive Golemancer » Genius Operated Living Enchanted Manifestation|
|Ebon Vanguard arc: Against the Charr » Warband of Brothers » Assault on the Stronghold|
|Norn arc: Curse of the Nornbear » A Gate Too Far and Blood Washes Blood|
|Deldrimor arc: Destruction's Depths » A Time for Heroes|
|Challenge: Glint's Challenge|