A Time for Heroes
|A Time for Heroes|
|Section||Primary Dwarf Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by||High Priest Alkar |
in Central Transfer Chamber
(Depths of Tyria)
|Part of||Against the Destroyers|
|Preceded by||Destruction's Depths|
- Defeat the Great Destroyer.
- Dwarf reputation points
- First time: 5,000 (7,500 in hard mode)
- On repeat: 100 (150 in hard mode)
- 2,500 Experience
The Great Destroyer uses the following skills:
|The Great Destroyer skills||Description|
|Call of Destruction||Summons a group of Destroyers.|
|Enraged Blast||When interrupted, emits a blast of Energy that knocks down all foes within earshot and deals 115 damage.|
|Flame Jet (Hard mode only)||A jet of lava shoots out to target foe dealing 600 damage. If that foe is under the effects of an enchantment, the damage is halved.|
|Lava Blast||Lava surges upward, knocking down all foes standing in lava and dealing 75 damage.|
|Lava Ground||Creates a giant blast that melts earth into lava.|
|Lava Wave||Sends out a wave of lava that deals 100 fire damage to all Burning foes. While submerged in lava, the Great Destroyer gains 10 Health regeneration and is immune to all damage. Lava Wave ends after 12 seconds or if all other Destroyers are destroyed.|
|Searing Breath||Breathes a cone of fire that hits foes for 80 fire damage and 40 more fire damage for each enchantment on them. All Destroyers in the affected area are healed for 80 Health.|
A successful method to complete this quest is to stay on the shore while killing the three Destroyer of Lives in the three pools nearby the entrance, then have everyone move back to the shore. Wait there until the Great Destroyer uses Lava Ground enough to dry the lava pool where the furthest Destroyer of Lives was (a player will need to move to the closest pool to trigger the Great Destroyer's skills). Once the pool dries have everyone run up to the pool and fight there.
- Searing Breath can deal major damage to low-armor rating party members. To prevent this, have a member with higher armor rating engage the Great Destroyer and turn him so he is facing away from the rest of the party. This way only one member is affected by this skill.
- Be careful when bringing interrupts due to Enraged Blast's. Call of Destruction and Lava Ground are worth interrupting due to the damage you can suffer by not doing so. Enraged Blast has a quick cast time and is actually interruptable too, but interrupting Enraged Blast will result in another Enraged Blast.
Aggravate the Great Destroyer so he will attack your party on this plate. If it uses Lava Wave turn your attention temporarily to other Destroyers until it rises back up. Continue until the Great Destroyer is defeated.
- Pain Inverter, if effectively used, will do massive damage, causing the great Destroyer to lose half or more health in one shot. Bring spirits and summoned allies to increase the number of targets. Interrupting the Great Destroyer is actually a good idea in this case, as Enraged Blast will also backfire.
- Destroyer of Lives, Lava Wave and Searing Breath inflict fire damage, so consider bringing skills that protect against fire damage or elemental damage
- Your party will be in lava that inflicts Burning throughout the quest. Consider bringing Frigid Armor, Extinguish, and/or Breath of the Great Dwarf.
- Bring party heals.
- Having skills to prevent knock downs (e.g. Ward of Stability or Fleeting Stability) may be useful to prevent knock downs from Lava Blast and Enraged Blast at inopportune moments.
- Alkar's Alchemical Acid is useful against all the foes in this mission.
- Life stealing by touch rangers (and others) will bypass Lava Wave.
- When fighting the Great Destroyer, speed can be important due to the fairly constant damage and health degeneration.
- Regarding interrupts :
- Lava Ground will eventually make the entire area unsafe to stand in; interrupt this if you are able.
- All of the Great Destroyer skills are untyped skills, so only skills that interrupt actions or skills will interrupt its skills and trigger Enraged Blast.
- Confusing Images and Migraine can cause the Great Destroyer to activate skills slower, which will lower the Great Destroyer's damage per second and make it easier to continuously interrupt Enraged Blast.
- 55 Monks are extremely effective here as long as no Destroyer of Deeds spawn as they will cause mass interruption.
- Disabling (or even simply interrupting) Lava Wave can prevent the Great Destroyer from healing itself.
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Bones
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Flesh
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Sinew
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Deeds
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Hope
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Thoughts
- 28 (30) Destroyer of Lives
- 31 (31) The Great Destroyer
- "In every age there are heroes and villains, victors and vanquisher, saviors and destroyers. You stand today at a precipice between the past and the future, facing a choice with effects that will ripple throughout time. Become the stuff of legends, or one of history's forgotten. May the future hold a world where your exploits this day are told as an inspirational tale of courage, persistence and hope. Go now. Meet the Great Destroyer, and may the gods smile on us all."
- High Priest Alkar
- "Long have I studied the Tome of Rubicon and the lore of the Great Destroyer. Never did I expect to see the Great Destroyer surface in my lifetime."
- Continue: We plan to strike the Great Destroyer head on.
- "Without the power of the Great Dwarf, your attack has little chance of success. However, given the size of your party, you may be able to slip through. Will you continue with this plan?"
- Accept: The Great Destroyer must be stopped. There is no other way.
- Decline: I should reconsider my options.
- First time using Lava Ground
- Party member: "Everyone, keep to the hardened lava or you'll burn to death!"
- First time using Lava Wave
- Party member: "We can't hurt him while he is defensive. Kill his minions!"
- First time interrupted
- Party member: "Interrupts enrage him! Use them wisely."
- On completion of Destruction's Depths for the first time on a character, A Time for Heroes will be added to your Quest Log automatically.
- After completing this quest, your party will be taken to Epilogue.
- This quest (and all primary repeatable Eye of the North quests) may also be obtained from the Scrying Pool in the Hall of Monuments after completing it once.
|Eye of the North primary repeatable quests and missions|
|Asura arc: Finding the Bloodstone and The Elusive Golemancer » Genius Operated Living Enchanted Manifestation|
|Ebon Vanguard arc: Against the Charr » Warband of Brothers » Assault on the Stronghold|
|Norn arc: Curse of the Nornbear » A Gate Too Far and Blood Washes Blood|
|Deldrimor arc: Destruction's Depths » A Time for Heroes|
|Challenge: Glint's Challenge|