|Given by||Koss |
in Command Post
|Preceded by||The Great Escape|
(Click to enlarge)
- Required hero: Koss
- Take Koss to Yohlon Haven and speak with Herbalist Makala about the Elixir of Strength.
- Join Herbalist Makala on a zephyr hedger hunt in Arkjok Ward.
- Slay a zephyr hedger.
- The potion is ready! Talk to Herbalist Makala to obtain it.
- Test your newfound strength by slaying Slort Nilbog.
- See Herbalist Makala for your reward.
Map to Yohlon Haven and speak to Herbalist Makala, then walk out into Arkjok Ward to begin the zephyr hedger hunt with him. Makala will direct the party to a point half-way up the west side of Arkjok Ward (see the map for exact location), where they will find a zephyr hedger to slay.
Once it is slain, Makala will concoct his potion and dispense it to the party, which will give them the condition The Elixir of Strength, just in time to test it on the approaching creature: Slort Nilbog. Funnily enough, the potion doesn't make you any stronger, and while it's in effect, prevents you from attacking the creature.
Don't worry, the effect is soon dispelled by Makala and you can defeat Slort Nilbog normally.
- 10 (20) Herbalist Makala
- 5 (23) Slort Nilbog
- "So I was thinking that we could all use a boost in fighting Varesh. I know a herbalist in Yohlon Haven who makes a great elixir of strength. I could really use a jolt of that wonderful juice, and to tell the truth, so could you. What do you say we seek out Makala and get some?"
Herbalist Makala (Yohlon Haven)
- "So that pompous Koss sent you here for an elixir of strength, did he? He's always bothering me about some potion or another. Hmmmm...heh...you know, I have JUST the concoction for him, and it's nearly complete. The sole missing ingredient can be found nearby in Arkjok Ward."
- "I'm missing zephyr berries, a natural source of great power, which I need to finish his precious elixir. They can be easily harvested from a local plant, the zephyr hedger. Did I mention these plants get around? They're ornery, too. Meet me in Arkjok Ward and help me catch one of these buggers. I will use any berries I collect for your elixir."
Herbalist Makala (Arkjok Ward)
- "We should get started as soon as possible. I'd hate to keep the mighty Koss from his precious potions, lest his oversized muscles start shriveling like raisins. Lead the way whenever you are ready."
- Herbalist Makala: "Excellent! There's a zephyr hedger in plain sight! Slay it and I'll harvest its berries. Oh, quit your tittering."
- "Well, the potions are complete...and just in time. I think I hear something heading this way! Quick, drink these and deal with it as fast as you can!"
The Elixir's effects
- Koss: "Charge! With the power of the elixir, this will be a short fight."
- Koss: "The elixir should kick in any second now..."
- Koss: "Wait for it..."
- Koss: "I think I feel something in my gut. Anyone else feeling the power? Anyone?"
- Herbalist Makala: "The mighty Koss can't handle a little runt like this? All the self-confidence in the world won't help if you can't lift your weapon! Ha! You should see the look on you face, Koss.... Well, I've had enough fun for today. Drink this antidote and your strength will be restored."
- "Ha! Sorry for deceiving you, but Koss needed to be taught a lesson. He should know by now that true power comes from within, not from any elixir. I can only hope that I've made some impression on him today. I've most likely wasted my efforts. Still, it was quite entertaining to see that simpleton as weak as a termite hatchling."
- Although the quest isn't long in itself, it can be shortened with good preparation. Slort is vulnerable to damage from Traps and Spirits that are placed in his path before the elixir is taken. Since he is level 5, he dies easily, and the quest is instantly completed when he dies. Spirit Spammers can make short work of Slort, wiping him out in one or two seconds.
- Necromancer Minions are apparently immune to the elixir's effect. If any remain from the Zephyr Hedger fight, minions may attack and kill Slort before the quest dialogue "The elixir should kick in any any second now..." even has a chance to display.
- "Nilbog" is "goblin" backwards.
- The rejection dialogue for this quest is a reference to steroid abuse, one of the possible symptoms of which is shrunken testicles.