Emo is shorthand for an Elementalist with a Monk secondary profession, combining energy storage and skills relying on Enchantment spells (such as Ether Renewal or Aura of Restoration) with the protective enchantments offered by the monk attributes. The name is derived from the standard abbreviation for this profession combination, E/Mo and as a pun on the Emo lifestyle.
In high-level PvE areas, Emos are often seen as powerful bonders typically used to protect a tank (and even tanking themselves) with maintained enchantments such as Protective Bond, while keeping themselves healthy and high on energy with skills such as Ether Renewal.
The term is also used for a wider category of builds used in PvP, mainly for E/Mo flag-runners in GvG, using Air or Water Magic spells combined with Healing or Protection Prayers spells to run the flag, defend against splits, or offer defensive support at the flag stand. In this case, it is rarely used to solo NPCs or other flaggers, although it can backup teammates going after those targets.
Example of an Emo build for PvE :
Burning Speed is used for its high energy cost/(recharge+activation) ratio, not for its effect.
Other skills commonly used with Emo builds :
- Life Attunement - For healing management
- Spirit Bond - For more healing
- Elemental Lord - For energy and self-healing management
- Great Dwarf Weapon - For Physical buff. With many physicals can relieve the energy pressure greatly.
- Reversal of Fortune - For damage negation and a cheap energy source.
- Shield of Absorption - For damage mitigation.
- Aegis - To counter physical mobs.
- Protective Spirit - For cover enchantment and protection for allies if Protective Bond is stripped.
- Vigorous Spirit - For party wide cover enchantment and decent healing. (Change attributes to 8 Protection 10 Healing)
- Healing Breeze - For Health regeneration that can be maintained on three allies. (Change attributes to 10 Protection 8 Healing)
- Draw Conditions - For removing the more threatening conditions such as Blind, Weakness, or Dazed.