For those who have succeeded where many have failed and who have come this far, the only thing that stands between them and Ascension is the Doppelganger. It is their mirror image which they must defeat alone to test their ability to outsmart their foes. Against it there is no relying on expensive equipment or hiding behind party members.
The Doppelganger copies your character's set of skills, and uses its own set of attributes, health, and energy. The player must devise a way to defeat the Doppelganger by exploiting its weaknesses; for the most part, these lie in its very basic AI, which does not include complex strategies (such as skill chaining).
- The Doppelganger always has 12 in all attributes in both your primary and secondary professions, excluding the primary attribute of your secondary profession.
- It has the same skill bar as its opponent.
- It cannot use any PvE-only skills with the exception of the 10 Anniversary elite skills; however, they still take a slot on its skill bar.
|60 (76)||60 (76)||60 (76)|
|60 (76)||60 (76)||60 (76)||60 (76)|
- Only the player's skill bar is copied. The player's armor or equipment does not affect the Doppelganger.
- The Doppelganger always has 480 health in Normal mode and 880 health in Hard mode.
- The Doppelganger never has a pet, even when Charm Animal, Comfort Animal, or Heal as One is equipped.
- The Doppelganger switches between a Chaos Axe (which deals lightning damage) and a Tormented Spear, depending on the distance from its target. With the axe equipped it can use melee attack skills of every type, and with the spear equipped it can use ranged attack skills of every type.
- When it uses attack skills linked to a weapon type, the Doppelganger appears to use the attack speed of the appropriate weapon.
- At the beginning of the encounter, the Doppelganger is enchanted with Divine Fire.
- For strategies against the Doppelganger, see Augury Rock.
- The Doppelganger is not human, since disease does not spread to or from it.
- The Doppelganger's appearance is based on the character's sex.
- Doesn't use Frenzy in Hard Mode, even if it's the only skill on the bar.
- The Doppelganger is technically a monk (i.e. it drops monk skill tomes in Hard mode), but effectively mimics any profession via attributes. Presumably, in the game's mechanics, profession cannot be changed in an instance.
- Doppelganger was called "Mirror Self" before the June 15, 2005 update.
- For long-range attacks, the Doppelganger formerly wielded an Eternal Bow, but began using a Tormented Spear at some point after the release of Guild Wars Nightfall.
- Before the January 18, 2010 update, the Doppelganger was able to copy and use Vampirism at Sunspear rank 9, even though it is a PvE-only skill.
- The word Doppelganger originates from the German word Doppelgänger, which means "Double Walker", and is considered a bad omen or evil spirit in folklore.
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki has an article on Doppelganger.|