- Gold redirects here. For other uses, see Gold (disambiguation).
The basic currency, accepted by all NPCs in Guild Wars, is gold (), and its more valuable substitute, platinum (). The two are automatically converted from one to the other; 1000 equals 1. A Vault box can hold up to 1000, and each character can hold up to 100 in their inventory.
In trades worth more than 100, players often substitute expensive items, agreeing on a value that the item represents (that is, treating it like currency). The most common substitutes are Zaishen Keys, Globs of Ectoplasm, and, for very high value trades, Armbraces of Truth. Black Dye is used in high-end pre-Searing trades.
|One Gold Coin (left) and more than|
one Gold Coin (right) dropped on the ground.
There are several ways to accumulate cash:
- Picking up drops.
- Selling items to merchants or traders.
- Receiving gold from quest rewards.
- Completing certain missions.
- Trading with other players, for goods (e.g. coveted items) or services (e.g. running).
- Farming, the repeated execution of the same task to acquire currency or loot.
Currency is used to buy items from NPC sellers in-game, who provide just about everything: basic needs, armor, weapons, skills, guild services, consumables, scrolls, dyes, runes, common materials, rare materials, and a few lesser services such as storage fees. Since other players also need these things, you can also trade them currency in exchange for something you want, or to do some task for you.
- When dropped on the ground, currency appears as "Gold Coin(s)".
- Gold Coins dropped by enemies in an explorable area are not assigned; anyone can pick them up, and the cash is divided among party members (including henchmen and heroes).
- Individual characters do not have access to an account's vault box until they have paid a one time fee of 50 to the Xunlai Agent.
- The maximum amount of gold an account can store is 4500.
- Players usually refer to platinum as plat, p, or k (from the metric prefix "kilo", which means "thousand").
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki also has an article on Currency.|