You're a Mean One, Mr. Grenth
|You're a Mean One, Mr. Grenth|
|Section||Festival Event Quests|
|Prophecies or Nightfall|
|Given by|| Rift Warden |
in Lion's Arch or Kamadan, Jewel of Istan
|Type|| Festival quest |
(Click to enlarge)
- Speak to the Rift Warden when you are ready to enter the Underworld.
- Recover all the stolen presents. [0...5] of 5 gift bundles recovered.
- See Rift Warden for your reward.
- *BONUS*: Survive for as long as possible.
Follow the road up to each marker, kill any grentch surrounding the gift, and claim it by standing close for a while. After you claim it, you can move to the next gift that will be marked on the compass. The last gift will be guarded by a grentch boss called Grentchus Magnus who, besides having more health than other grentches and using "Mmmm. Snowcone!" in the middle of the fight, poses no real threat.
Begin the bonus by talking to the Avatar of Dwayna, after finishing the quest. Wait until you have full health and all of your skills recharged before attempting the bonus, which requires killing 36 grentches across 6 waves of 6 foes each. The grentches appear one at-a-time, but their spawn rate increases with each subsequent wave. A wave does not end until you have killed the last of its half-dozen opponents.
There is no need to hurry; you can pull each foe individually from the spawn points, to handle them one-on-one. Players are rewarded 1 Candy Cane Shard after each wave is defeated.
- 15 Speedy Grentch
- 15 Hasty Grentch
- 15 Frozen Grentch
- 15 Grentch
- 15 Sacrificial Grentch
- 15 Flashy Grentch
- 15 Icy Grentch
- 15 Dodgy Grentch
- 15 Troublesome Grentch
- 15 Veracious Grentch
- 15 Shifty Grentch
- 15 Grandiose Grentch
- 15 Hungry Grentch
- 15 Sneaky Grentch
- 15 Tricky Grentch
- "Grenth's sniveling lackeys will stop at nothing to claim victory this Wintersday Festival. They have stolen countless gifts from the good little boys and girls and hoarded them deep within Grenth's domain. Dwayna beseeches you to go forth into the icy depths of the Underworld and recover the presents. Won't somebody think of the children?"
- "You will be transported directly to the Underworld. If you are in a party you will be separated for the duration of this task. Once there, you must recover the presents stolen by Grenth's servants. Are you ready to face the horrors of the Underworld alone?"
After recovering the last gift
Avatar of Dwayna
- "May Dwayna's light guide you through this land of ice and death. In recovering the stolen presents from the clutches of Grenth's minions, you have brought goodness to this world. So tell me, are you ready to leave this frigid place behind?"'
- Take me to Lion's Arch.
- Take me to Kamadan [sic]
- I want to play the bonus challenge.
- "The Avatars of Dwayna speak highly of you. With your help, Dwayna is one step closer to victory this Wintersday."
- Similar to In Grenth's Defense, the foes in this quest can randomly drop a Glob of Frozen Ectoplasm or Wintersday Gift, but not a Candy Cane Shard, Eggnog, Frosty Tonic, Fruitcake, Mischievous Tonic nor Snowman Summoner.
- Unlike in Wintersday 2006, no experience is gained from the grentches killed in this mini-mission.
- A "MISSION FAILED: Dwayna compliments your valiant effort" message appears if the mission was failed and "BONUS FAILED: Dwayna knows you tried your hardest" appears if the bonus was failed.
- This quest was introduced in Wintersday 2006.
- This is a reference to the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The beginning of a verse of one of the songs includes the line, "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch".
- The line 'Won't someone please think of the children?' could be a reference to the Simpson's character Helen Lovejoy as she often says the same line at times of dilemma.
- Prior to Wintersday 2010, this quest awarded 5 Candy Cane Shards instead of Wintersday Gifts.