Failure to Communicate
|Failure to Communicate|
|Section||Charr Homelands Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by||Captain Langmar |
in Grothmar Wardowns
|Preceded by||The Missing Vanguard|
|Followed by||The Imploding Past|
Quest path beginning from Longeye's Ledge
- Investigate the disappearances of Anton and Scout Winslow.
- Defeat the Charr and rescue Scout Winslow.
- See Captain Langmar for your reward.
After taking the quest, head east across the bridge and then follow the arrow to find Anton. Once he has joined you, go around the corner towards the Charr camp.
Kill the Axemaster and the Blademaster awaiting outside the camp. To complete the quest, you only need to kill the group of Charr without the boss in it standing beside Scout Winslow - it is possible to lure this group out of the camp to avoid aggroing Chaelse Flameshielder's group. It would be a good idea to bring AoE shutdown (to combat resurrection skills) such as Panic if you want to kill the boss group though.
You can then map back to the outpost and then go back into Grothmar Wardowns to speed up receiving the quest reward.
- An easier, but slightly longer, way to complete this quest is to first complete the Against the Charr quest. Once that mission is complete you will spawn back in the Charr camp, but there will only be one small group of Charr with only one Prophet. Kill them and walk up to Winslow and the quest is complete.
- Complete this quest and Plan A simultaneously. There will be fewer Charr in the camp (especially if you can kill the small group guarding Winslow before the main group returns). Even if you end up fighting the main force it is predominantly made up of Axemasters and Blademasters, who can be pulled and dispatched with relative ease.
- If the Plan A quest is available, then Vael can be triggered to temporarily empty most of the camp
- Bring the Siege Devourer from north of the camp / from Dalada Uplands.
- If you find that the mob overpowers you, lure them out towards the entrance. Stand well clear and draw the group bit by bit. Once the mob has been killed, the Winslow group will fall pretty easily.
- Captain Langmar
- It is good to find you well, [Character Name]. I have a task for you.
- I have sent Scout Winslow on a sensitive reconnaissance mission, but he has failed to return. I sent Anton, one of my best soldiers, to find him. He has not returned either. I trust my men. I do not let trust blind me to reality. Something has happened, and I need you to investigate.
- Anton: Silence! You move with all the grace of a one-legged Moa. Do you want to give us away?
- Anton: Ah, I see. Captain Langmar sent you... to bring back my body, no doubt. Her concern touches me like a dagger. But I am more than capable to handle this situation.
- Anton: However, you are here now. Tell me, do you know why Assassins wield two blades?
- Anton: Because we have only two hands. I'll not turn away extra sets of hands no matter the source. Let us find Scout Winslow. But tread carefully.
After Rescuing Scout Winslow
- Scout Winslow: Thank you, thank you. I thought I was doomed. DOOMED!
- Anton: Pull yourself together, man. Are you a soldier, or a mergoyle frolicking in high tide?
- Scout Winslow: Sir...? Um, a soldier, sir. Yes, sir! A soldier.
- Anton: Then tell us what you learned, scout.
- Scout Winslow: Yes, sir. Your lead was solid, sir. Before I was captured, I heard one of the Charr mention Rend Ragemauler. It appears he has been recalled to counteract their recent losses.
- Anton: So he is here, finally...after all these years. Quickly, tell me about the Charr that spoke of Rend Ragemauler."
- Scout Winslow: That's all I know, sir. I was captured before I had a chance to get in closer.
- Anton: Useless! You would better serve the Vanguard as a pastry chef. Very well. I shall simply have to rip out the tongues of every Charr I find until one flaps loose with the information.
- Anton: You! [Party Leader]! Inform Captain Langmar that I am proceeding on ahead. I have...business...with Ragemauler.
- Captain Langmar
- My men are alive and well? That is welcome news. We can ill afford to lose any men at this important juncture. Thank you for your report. You shall be justly compensated for your efforts. I am concerned, though, that Anton did not return with you. You say he mentioned Rend Ragemauler? He and I shall talk of this when he returns.
- You only need to kill the group closest to Winslow, the other big group may survive.
- This quest is the first in the chain leading to the acquisition of Anton as a hero.