SaO chain is the use of the skill Strike as One (SaO) to chain shadow step of pets. A SaO chain allows a player to shadow step to any location that can be reached by walking within an area slightly above spell range. SaO chains can be used to do a portal jump, or to avoid triggering an event in a mission or a quest. SaO chains are different from the simpler Viper's Defense and Heart of Shadow shadow stepping in that they have a much higher range thanks to the skill Recall combined to earshot range of Strike as One.
- Equip Recall.
- Bring heroes with pets and Strike as One and Quickening Zephyr (which will speed up the process).
- At least two pets are needed. There is no maximum limit to the required number of pets but three or four seems to be enough due to the low recharge time of SaO under Quickening Zephyr.
- Use Recall on one of the pets and maintain it.
- Be as close as possible to the portal or the trigger and to the location behind it where you wish to shadow step. If doing a portal jump, it's recommended you use heroes as a landmark to know where the portal begins since they will teleport back to you when they cross it.
- Have each hero use Strike as One on you until at least two pets have stopped moving (due to a bug in the skill, pets will eventually freeze when shadow stepping to an ally).
- Always target the pet closest to the location toward which you want to shadow step and have all heroes (except the pet's master) use SaO on it.
- Repeat until the pet you have used Recall on is at the desired location or when you cannot get the pets go any farther (pets out of earshot range).
- Stop maintaining Recall.
- The area the portal covers is usually thinner on the edges. SaO chains are usually more successful if done on the right or left of a portal.
- Disable click-to-move to avoid unwilling crossing of the portal.
- It may be hard to remember which pet belongs to which hero; therefore, it is recommended to charm a logical pet with each hero (for example a Tiger with Pyre or a Moa Bird with Acolyte Jin).
- It may also be hard to remember on which hero you have cast Recall; always use the same pet to prevent confusion.
- If planning to do a portal jump far from an outpost/town, bring speed boost skills along for easier exploration and because you will just need to rezone to spawn with your party.
- On rare occasions, you will be under attack from foes: bring several other heroes so that your party may be able to handle a fight.