Talk:Gwen's Flute (quest)
Not sure here. First attempt at editing. I clicked on the image in the page and it took me to an upload page. I checked the edit page and it appears that there is no image because it says image needed at the top. When i tried to upload the file (first png form and then when i got the file empty message, i tried jpg) i kept getting "The file you uploaded seems to be empty. This might be due to a typo in the file name. Please check whether you really want to upload this file." message. I would appreciate any assistance you could offer. Thank you. Dreamer n kansas 17:01, 31 December 2008 (UTC)
Monk blow by blow
I wonder if this Gwen's Flute quest should even be considered available for the Monk profession any more. It is a contrivance for that profession to say the least. The quest is to find a flute, but there isn't a flute to find for the monks. Gwen's dialog is actually the intermediate dialog of the Monk Test, and she continually spawns near where the broken flute would normally be found even upon re-zoning until you have completed the Monk Test quest (which is to rescue Gwen from the skale).
Gwen is directly south from the Ascalon Gate, but she just says, "Help me! Those monsters in the river are trying to eat me!" with no accept/decline options available. I've only gone outside of Ascalon solo. The only quest in my list is War Preparations. She isn't wearing a cape and doesn't have a flute. My Monk hasn't talked to anyone except Gwen outside of Ascalon.
After killing the 3 Level 0 River Skale Tads, Gwen gives no reward, and simply says, "Thanks for killing the monsters! I'll follow you back to the gate." Additional clicks on her yield nothing. Before killing the 3 skale tads I had 250 xp, after, but before talking to Gwen again, I had 325 xp (25 pts/river skale tad). Upon talking the Gwen the second time I still had 325 xp.
Make sure you grab any Red Iris flowers for giving to Gwen later and any hidden stashes you find along the way, because you are going to need the gold for that 200 cape. I only killed the 3 River skale, but grabbed the hidden stashes through the Devourer area. You may be able to kill the devourers as well, but I wanted to keep a close eye on my experience to verify if monks received any XP for this "quest".
Once at the gate, she continues her usual chattiness. Running into Ascalon without talking to anyone else and back out with a new flute to repeat. Gwen won't accept the flute before the skale are killed. She will only accept it after the skale are dead and her initial "Thanks..." dialog.
An additional click gave me her wishing she had a red cape. Back into Ascalon without talking to anyone else, buying a cape, once I had accumulated enough gold from repeating the skale killing/hidden stash ransacking, and back out. I'm not sure how a new character can easily obtain 200 for the red cape.
Again, once the skale were killed and her "Thanks..." message she accepted the cape. I began passing Gwen the flowers I had collected thus far. Since I hadn't received the Tapestry Shred yet, I decided a flower hunt was in order. After searching the Althea's Actors Stage and then Ashford, Gwen had been given enough Red Iris flowers to give the Tapestry Shred to my Monk saying, "You're my favorite person , after Mommy. I think I'll give you my most favorite thing in the whole world.". I received no experience at any time by talking with Gwen or upon receiving the Tapestry Shred. Prof alf 16:47, 12 December 2007 (UTC)
Uh, looks like someone deleted the information on how monks can gain this quest's reward. I have tested and confirmed this method. 1. Team up with someone that is not a monk and has not completed this quest. (And that does not have a Gwen with a red cape.) 2. Walk out of town and have the none monk player get the flute. (if flute does not spawn leave team, get the flute, then rejoin team.) 3. While in a team, have the none monk player hand the flute to gwen at which point he will receive his reward. 4. After that is done, the monk player speaks with Gwen who at this time says something like, Your friend found my flute, Thanks. And she will give you the xp reward.
Enjoy! 188.8.131.52 01:34, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
I am also trying to get the Gwen's Flute quest to work.
- Starting (several times!) with a brand new Monk (0 Exp).
- Note: As with several other quests, the 'props' needed for the quest (in this case Gwen) are created or repositioned each time you enter the area where the quest starts until the quest is completed. For example the Rogue Bull is created until the A Mesmer's Burden quest is completed. (Since it is a level 5 opponent, like the River Drake, killing it adds experience through level 9!). I believe the first description in this set is an example of that phenomenon.
- Find Gwen and talk to her. (Follow the left road until you see the river down the hill to the left. She is on the other side of the river.)
- Kill the three nearby River Skale Tads.
- Talk to Gwen again. (I'm have not tried not talking to her.)
- Return to Ciglo the Monk and collect the reward.
At this point, I believe the Broken Flute quest SHOULD become available but does not.
- Note: The 'BUG' is NOT as described for the present version of the game. No multi party 'runs' were mode in this test so there could not be any 2nd party interactions.
At this point the only responses from Gwen are the 'follow', 'wait' and 'flower' responses. The request for you to find the flute is not issued. The request for the cloak is not issued, and you can give her many flowers with nothing more than a 'thank you' in return (if that).
Mtew 02:11, 26 July 2008 (UTC)
I'm wondering about the description in the quest requirement. It says you have to be under level 3. Perhaps this only applies to monks, but since it was outside the parenthetical comment, I took it to apply to any profession. Nevertheless, I just completed the quest with my level 8 elementalist. It wasn't odd finding her with the exclamation point over her head, but I didn't expect to get the quest. Even stranger was the fact that there was no direction on the compass. So I just went across the river since she said she lost it there and I found it and returned it to her and received my reward. Maybe this is no big deal. It's just that the requirement description threw me and I wasn't expecting to receive the quest. Sardaukar 18:01, 13 January 2009 (UTC)
- Just a follow-up. After getting the reward I went into Ascalon and purchased the flute and cape. Upon leaving the city and approaching Gwen, she took both the flute and cape right away in succession. She then followed me as I scoured the countryside for a red iris flower. After finding one, I gave it to her immediately and she gave me the tapestry shred right there. Blew me away! Was that a fluke or was that suppose to be that simple? FYI - I had never joined with anyone until after that, and the only quest I had taken and received the reward for was the “Elementalist Test.” Sardaukar 12:42, 15 January 2009 (UTC)
Formatting Guide Compliance
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Infobox used
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) No Map.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Overview exists.
- mtew 20:15, 2 April 2009 (UTC) Initial requirements section is correct.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Objectives section exists.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Early benefits section not needed.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Rewards section exists.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Environment changes section missing.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Walkthrough section exists.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Associated NPCs section not needed.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Dialogue section exists.
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Notes section not needed?
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Trivia section not needed?
- mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC) Categories exist. Training Quest?
Problems with this article
- The unbroken Flute, Small Girl's Cape and Tapestry Shred are associated with POST-QUEST activities, NOT part of the quest itself. They probably belong in the article about Gwen in pre-Searing, not here. The post-quest activity should be mentioned and a link provided, but the details do not fit into a quest article very well (IMHO).
- The QUEST is available at level 3, but the post quest activities are not. Research may be needed to get the details correct.
- Is the Broken Flute available if this quest is not active?
mtew 15:53, 19 March 2009 (UTC)
- If there is a bug in this quest that prevents you from doing those things with the Flute, Cape and Tapestry, I think a bug note would be appropriate.
- — Why 09:06, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
-- It is not clear that by POST-QUEST you mean after the quest or after the Searing, since this is pre-searing ascalon you are talking about. The items you are talking about (unbroken flute, etc.) are for after the quest, but to be used before the searing. The only item that is for Post-Searing is the Tapestry Shred. In addition to this comment, I also fixed a misspelling (noted in comment format where I did it) to correct a link to Lakeside County, that was previously linking to Lakeside Country.
184.108.40.206 05:25, 27 October 2009 (UTC)
"it's not neccessary for monks..."
i don't play monks, but i've never actually done this quest to get the shred. ive bought her the cape, and given her a few flowers.. and that's it, she gives me the cape. Hakinu 22:47, 21 January 2011 (UTC)