The Necromancer's Novice
|The Necromancer's Novice|
|Given by|| Necromancer Munne |
in The Catacombs
|Type|| Secondary quest|
(Profession: primary or secondary)
- Tyrian (Prophecies) character
- primary or secondary
- Completed primary profession test (elementalist, mesmer, monk, necromancer, ranger, or warrior)
- Character in pre-Searing
- Get past the fire traps in the burning section of the catacombs. (Use bone horrors to trigger the traps.)
- Return to Necromancer Munne for your reward.
- Munne will give you the following skills upon taking the quest:
- 250 Experience
Follow Necromancer Munne through the catacombs, fighting enemies as you go. Eventually she'll stop at the beginning of a long hallway. At the first trap, a devourer will spawn from the wall. Let it trip the first trap. Then go down the hallway and you'll see another Flame Geyser down a set of stairs. Get close to the trap and use Animate Bone Horror; the minion will be animated from a corpse near the trap, the trap will trigger, and the minion will die. Do this again on the next trap, and you'll be facing the Tomb Nightmare, which is easy to defeat. Take it down with the spells you already have (Deathly Swarm is particularly effective) and go back to Munne for the reward.
Alternatively, it is possible to completely skip the trap area if you enter the Catacombs from Green Hills County, north of The Barradin Estate. Turn right after the entrance, follow the narrow corridor, then turn left. You will stop on a ledge right above the Tomb Nightmare (you may need to pull it first using a longbow). Use the ranged spells you have or ranged attacks to kill it. Then map travel to Ashford Abbey and return to Munne.
- Necromancer Munne
- "Not everyone can be a Necromancer. For example, one of my latest students went into the catacombs to summon a dark entity. Since he hasn't come back, I can only surmise his creation probably ate him."
- "If you will agree to destroy the nightmare he summoned, I will show you where he went and give you a spell to help. But I warn you, you'll have to be clever to get past the fire traps in that part of the tombs. Of course, if you fail, I shall use your corpse as fodder for the next, more worthy, student."
- Necromancer Munne: "Follow me, I'll show you where the last novice died."
- Necromancer Munne: "Try to keep up."
- Necromancer Munne: "Here we are. Are you ready?"
- Necromancer Munne: "Most impressive. You dispatched that nightmare rather quickly. You show some real talent for the work."
If you have a flatbow or longbow, it is recommended that you use the elevation while on the stairs to your advantage. Simply aggro the Tomb Nightmare with the improved range and let it run right into the Flame Geyser.