The Necromancer's Novice
|The Necromancer's Novice|
|Given by||Necromancer Munne |
in The Catacombs
(Profession: primary or secondary)
- Tyrian (Prophecies) character
- primary or secondary
- Completed primary profession test (elementalist, mesmer, monk, necromancer, ranger, or warrior)
- Character in pre-Searing
- Get past the fire traps in the burning section of the catacombs. (Use bone horrors to trigger the traps.)
- Return to Necromancer Munne for your reward.
- Munne will give you the following skills upon taking the quest:
- 250 Experience
Follow Necromancer Munne, fighting enemies as you go. Eventually she'll stop at the beginning of a long hallway with three consecutive Flame Geyser trap runes on the ground.
These traps are especially deadly, dealing 500 elemental damage to unarmored targets, instantly killing most characters. Even rangers (which possess the highest armor against elemental damage among all professions) have to be at least level 6 with a good shield (e.g. the Serrated Shield) to survive. The game immediately demonstrates this destructive power by having a devourer spawn from the wall and run straight in the first trap, getting killed on the spot.
The idea is to use Animate Bone Horror; as the corpse is within the trap, the minion summoned from it will immediately trigger the trap, at the cost of it dying in the process.
Once the traps are removed, the path to the Tomb Nightmare is clear. Despite its level 4, the Nightmare is very weak. It is especially susceptible to cold damage, making Deathly Swarm particularly effective.
Go back to Munne to collect the reward. You can also map travel to Ashford Abbey and re-enter the Catacombs as she will be back at her original location.
- Necromancer Munne
- "Not everyone can be a Necromancer. For example, one of my latest students went into the catacombs to summon a dark entity. Since he hasn't come back, I can only surmise his creation probably ate him."
- "If you will agree to destroy the nightmare he summoned, I will show you where he went and give you a spell to help. But I warn you, you'll have to be clever to get past the fire traps in that part of the tombs. Of course, if you fail, I shall use your corpse as fodder for the next, more worthy, student."
- Necromancer Munne: "Follow me, I'll show you where the last novice died."
- Necromancer Munne: "Try to keep up."
- Necromancer Munne: "Here we are. Are you ready?"
- Necromancer Munne: "Most impressive. You dispatched that nightmare rather quickly. You show some real talent for the work."
- There are various ways to kill the Tomb Nightmare without confronting it directly:
- If you have a flatbow or longbow, instead of triggering the last Flame Geyser, you can take advantage of the stairs' elevation to pull the Nightmare. It will try to get to you and run straight into the trap.
- There's a ledge overlooking the Tomb Nightmare to the west of the last room, which can be more easily reached from the entrance in Green Hills County, north of The Barradin Estate, going then straight south then east. You can again pull the Nightmare with a bow and it will try to come straight to you, leaving you some time to kill it with ranged spells or attacks while it is still pondering how to reach you.
- During the quest Vanguard Rescue: Save the Ascalonian Noble, two vanguard foes will spawn in the same spot than the Tomb Nightmare, and kill it in your stead.