The Necromancer's Novice
|The Necromancer's Novice|
|Given by||Necromancer Munne |
in The Catacombs
(Profession: primary or secondary)
- Tyrian (Prophecies) character
- primary or secondary
- Completed primary profession test (elementalist, mesmer, monk, necromancer, ranger, or warrior)
- Character in pre-Searing
- Get past the fire traps in the burning section of the catacombs. (Use bone horrors to trigger the traps.)
- Return to Necromancer Munne for your reward.
- Munne will give you the following skills upon taking the quest:
- 250 Experience
Follow Necromancer Munne through the catacombs, fighting enemies as you go. Eventually she'll stop at the beginning of a long hallway with three consecutive Flame Geyser trap runes on the ground.
These traps are the biggest danger of the quest, able to deal 500 elemental damage to unarmored targets, enough to kill any low level character on the spot. At the first trap, the game demonstrates that power by having a devourer spawn from the wall and run straight in the first trap.
On the two remaining traps, the intended way is to use Animate Bone Horror; the minion will be animated from a corpse and trigger the trap, although the minion itself will die.
There are a few alternatives to get around the traps:
- Before the last flame trap, if you have a flatbow or longbow, you can use the elevation while on the stairs to your advantage and aggro the Tomb Nightmare with the improved range (beware not to trigger the trap yourself however). If you do it right, the nightmare will try to get to you and as a result run straight into the Flame Geyser, which will kill it instantly.
- The Fire imp or a pet can trigger the trap instead of a minion. A pet is a good choice, as it can be easily resurrected with Comfort Animal
- It is actually possible to completely skip the trap area as there's a ledge overlooking the Tomb Nightmare to the west of the last room. The easiest way to reach this ledge is to enter the Catacombs from Green Hills County, north of The Barradin Estate, then go straight to the south after entering, and it should be right to the east. Pull the Nightmare from there with a longbow and while it will be sitting there wondering how to reach you quickly kill it with ranged spells or attacks.
- If you are high level (above around 10 for warriors, 16 for casters), preferably equipped with the collector armor and the Serrated Shield, you may be able to withstand the damage and survive. Rangers with a serrated shield should be able to survive with as low as level 6.
Go back to Munne for the reward. You can also map travel to Ashford Abbey then re-enter the Catacombs as Munne will be back at her original location.
- Necromancer Munne
- "Not everyone can be a Necromancer. For example, one of my latest students went into the catacombs to summon a dark entity. Since he hasn't come back, I can only surmise his creation probably ate him."
- "If you will agree to destroy the nightmare he summoned, I will show you where he went and give you a spell to help. But I warn you, you'll have to be clever to get past the fire traps in that part of the tombs. Of course, if you fail, I shall use your corpse as fodder for the next, more worthy, student."
- Necromancer Munne: "Follow me, I'll show you where the last novice died."
- Necromancer Munne: "Try to keep up."
- Necromancer Munne: "Here we are. Are you ready?"
- Necromancer Munne: "Most impressive. You dispatched that nightmare rather quickly. You show some real talent for the work."