From Guild Wars Wiki
- This article is about Charm Animal. For other uses, see Charm Animal (disambiguation).
- Concise description
Skill. Charm target animal. Once charmed, your animal companion will travel with you whenever you have Charm Animal equipped. You cannot charm an animal that is more than 4 levels above you.
- This skill will activate only if you do not have an animal companion and the target is a charmable animal.
- It can target friendly and hostile creatures, but not allies nor animals already charmed to be pets.
- If you try to use it on an invalid target, it will fail to activate (and you will see the relevant error message in red text).
- Once an animal is charmed, there is no special value to bringing this skill over Comfort Animal or Heal as One in PvE.
- Although this skill is unaffected by your rank in Beast Mastery, your pet's attacks benefit from a higher rank and you recover more quickly if your pet dies.
- Even if you replace this skill with another (e.g. a mission-specific skill such as Disarm Trap), your pet will remain with you. If you rezone and retain the replacement skill, the pet will not zone with you.
- PvE characters and heroes have to charm their own pets; PvP players start off with an Elder Wolf.
- Be careful when charming a pet with nearby heroes or henchmen: the target will become hostile and could be killed. To prevent this, flag your allies farther away and/or set heroes to avoid combat.
- There are six special versions of this skill, notably the one used in the Codex Arena.
- This has the longest activation out of all the skills usable by players.
- Before the Fourth Anniversary Update, you could charm animals of any level.
- This was originally the only skill you could equip to bring a pet. Comfort Animal became the second such skill in the August 6, 2009 game update and Heal as One was added on February 25, 2010.
- This skill has changed since its introduction; see its skill revision history for details.