The Codex Arena is a four vs. four PvP game type where players are limited in their build creation by a limited pool of skills, the Codex. It replaced the old Team Arenas and Hero Battles in the October 22nd, 2009 update. This PvP game type found its roots in "Sealed Deck" combat, and is considered an in-game implementation of such.
The Codex is the list of skills that Codex Arena players must choose from. To keep things interesting, we'll change the skills in The Codex each day at 12:01 AM Pacific (7:01 UTC). [sic] When The Codex changes over, we'll let you know by sending a chat message to all players in the Codex Arena outpost.
If you're playing a match when the daily [sic] skills change, you can finish your match. Once the match is completed, you will be sent back to the outpost, and must select from the current day's [sic] skills in The Codex before playing again.
- The available skills can be viewed from the Skills and Attributes Panel (default "K") in the Codex Arena.
- The Codex skill pool changes weekly on Monday at 15:00 GMT/UTC (7:00 AM Pacific Standard Time).
|5 Consecutive|| 50|
1 Strategist's Zaishen Strongbox
|Honor points after each win|
|Bonus Honor points|
|Every fifth consecutive win||3|
- There is a 100 Honor points cap per day. The cap is doubled during the Codex Arena weekly bonus.
- There is a five Strategist's Zaishen Strongboxes cap per day.
- Each team is only allowed to bring one of each primary profession.
- Elite skills from the Codex are only available to the primary profession.
- Assassins, Dervish, Warriors and Paragons will receive 17 non-elite skills and 3 elites.
- Elementalists, Necromancers and Mesmers will receive 20 non-elite skills and 5 elites.
- Monks and Ritualists will receive 16 non-elite skills and 4 elites.
- Rangers will receive 19 non-elite skills and 4 elites.
- Resurrection Signet is always available.
- Aura of Restoration, Blood Renewal, Ether Feast, Healing Signet, Leader's Comfort, Shadow Refuge, Troll Unguent, and Vital Boon are skills that are always available in order to facilitate self healing.
- Certain skills are made available for the usage of other skills.
- Rangers will always have Charm Animal (Codex).
- Assassins will always have one randomly selected lead attack and one randomly selected off-hand attack.
- Ritualists will always have one randomly selected, non-elite binding ritual.
- Necromancers will always have one randomly selected, non-elite minion-summoning skill.
- Armor of Sanctity, Protector's Defense, Symbols of Inspiration, and Visions of Regret (PvP) are on the restricted list, therefore will never be available.
- Skills from the Codex that have not been learned (in the case of roleplaying characters) or unlocked (in the case of PvP-only characters) can be used. Roleplaying characters are still limited to secondary professions they have unlocked.
- Skills can always be used regardless of the campaigns or expansion (Eye of the North) on an account. For example, Burning Arrow may be used regardless of whether or not Nightfall is on the account.
- Priests in Codex Arena have 800 health and lack Heal Area.
- The Codex was changed four times daily from January 28, 2010 until June 2, 2011, when it was reverted back to once daily.
- Since the May 16, 2013 update, the Codex changes weekly on Mondays instead of daily.
- Current statistics on pooled skills. (outdated)
- Category:Lists of codex skills, for previous Codex skill pools.