Elite Missions are difficult missions designed for high level and well organized parties. They tend to take a long time to complete and are usually filled with high-level foes. They play much like typical campaign missions, but they are not required to complete the campaign nor to progress the Protector titles. As with any mission, there are no Resurrection Shrines and you will be returned to the last visited outpost or lobby should the party wipe. Most elite missions have chests that drop high quality and often uniquely skinned items and have bosses that drop unique items unavailable elsewhere. Most elite missions have a corresponding "Honor" statue for the Hall of Monuments.
Although not officially called elite missions, the Underworld and the Fissure of Woe are two very difficult areas in the game. These areas are only for ascended (Prophecies) characters, Weh no Su (Factions) characters or Nightfall characters who have completed the Hunted! quest. These areas become accessible by means of kneeling at certain statues of the gods only when the world has the Favor of the Gods, which is controlled through titles. When the world doesn't have the Favor of the Gods, you can still enter those realms using a Passage Scroll.
- The Underworld access is bought from the Voice of Grenth, who can be summoned by using the /kneel emote in front of the Statue of Grenth in Temple of the Ages or Lornar's Pass (Prophecies), Zin Ku Corridor (Factions), or Chantry of Secrets (Nightfall). A Passage Scroll to the Underworld can be used as well, regardless of whether the world has favor or not.
- The Fissure of Woe access is bought from the Champion of Balthazar, who can be summoned by using the /kneel emote in front of the Statue of Balthazar in Temple of the Ages (Prophecies), Zin Ku Corridor (Factions) or Chantry of Secrets (Nightfall). A Passage Scroll to the Fissure of Woe can be used as well, regardless of whether the world has favor or not.
While there are no official elite missions in the Prophecies campaign, there are two areas that behave similarly to them:
- Sorrow's Furnace is located north of the Deldrimor Warcamp in the Southern Shiverpeaks. Players must first pass through Grenth's Footprint to gain access. All bosses in this area have a possibility to drop unique items.
- Tomb of the Primeval Kings, located north of The Dragon's Lair, contains four zones and is filled with foes found in The Underworld. Creatures here have a small chance to drop a rare Glob of Ectoplasm and the 3 bosses (The Darknesses) in the final zone are guaranteed to drop unique items.
There are two official elite missions in the Factions campaign. The primary method to reach them is found in the restricted areas of the faction capitals, House zu Heltzer or Cavalon. In order to reach these areas, you must be in the alliance that controls the city. Alternatively, players can be ferried by members in that alliance to reach the lobby. Also, access is granted on special weekends via Vash and Eurayle in Kaineng Center. The last method to access these elite missions are through passage scrolls acquired for 1000 faction at a Kurzick Bureaucrat or Luxon Scavenger.
- The Deep is accessed through Cavalon, through a Passage Scroll to the Deep or through Eurayle during special weekends.
- Urgoz's Warren is accessed through House zu Heltzer, through Passage Scroll to Urgoz's Warren or through Vash during special weekends.
There is only one elite mission in the Nightfall campaign.
- The Ebony Citadel of Mallyx is found in the Domain of Anguish. To reach the Domain, players must first complete the Nightfall campaign, then return to the Chantry of Secrets. To gain access to the Elite Mission, players must then complete the first four parts of the quest Mallyx the Unyielding.
 Eye of the North
- There are no missions officially labeled elite in EotN. However, Slavers' Exile is a dungeon with a reward chest that spawns upon completing the Difficulty: Elite quest, The Last Hierophant. Before confronting the final foe, Duncan the Black, players must complete four other areas that have portals from within Slaver's Exile.