Nicholas the Traveler
- This article is about the post-Searing NPC. For the younger, pre-Searing NPC, see Nicholas Sandford.
|Nicholas the Traveler|
Route to Nicholas's location
in Regent Valley.
Concept art by Katy Hargrove.
Nicholas Sandford (born 1035 AE) is an Ascalonian traveler of the world who always travels with his dolyak friend, Professor Yakkington. He met Yakkington in the Northern Shiverpeaks during a snowstorm and the two managed to survive by huddling together for warmth. Before the Searing, he was in love with Mary Malone who was killed during the devastating event. Due to her death, he didn't travel for years. He is also an aspiring writer and has written a novel entitled "There with Yakkington: A Traveler's Tale."
He has friends throughout the world, such as Imperial Chef Yileng, Gwen, Durmand, and many others. During his travels, he often collects items to aid his friends and is mostly seen helping Durmand or Zinn in some form, or catering to Yakkington's whims. Once he helped Vael by making a disguise out of Quetzal Crests so Vael could spy on the Tengu of Cantha.
Nicholas is also a craftsman, as he makes various tools and even small sculptures out of various items he finds, and is very interested in local folklore.
As a collector
- For the week beginning 21 Jul 2014 (appearances are documented on the research page)
- Reminder: The Traveler often will not appear if local spawns are affected by active quests and/or quest chains.
His dialogue changes each week depending on the item he's looking for. The current one is:
- "It seems my travels have brought me to this haunted place once again. This time is different though. I've beheld many great sights, from Lyssa's ice cave to Zu Heltzer Cathedral, and along the way, I've received the help of many kind strangers. The glory of this world puts my personal suffering into perspective. To be honest, as the pain and nightmares fade, it's easier to look into the past, which is good. There are so many memories worth looking back on. Even after all these years, Mary rests as firmly in my heart as she did before the Charr destroyed my home.
- I carry her with me wherever I go, and my travels are far from over. I haven't found a new home, but I have found a measure of happiness. So, I'll keep wandering with this woolly fellow by my side. Before we depart, however, I should leave a remembrance, and only one gift seems fitting. You don't happen to have 3 Red Iris Flowers for me to leave behind, do you?"
- I have some right here! (If you have enough for at least 1 Gift of the Traveler.)
- "Hmmm. I'm sorry, but it appears you don't have quite as many as I need." (If you dropped the item from your inventory and select "I have some right here!" with less than the minimum number of the required item he will accept.)
- Let me get back to you on that!
- "Ah, it appears you have <total number of the required item you have> of those. How many do you want to give me?"
- You can have <maximum accepted number> of them!
- "Thank you, <character name>. May our paths cross again soon!" (You receive 1...5 Gifts of the Traveler.)
- How about just <minimum accepted number> of them? (If you have enough for 2 or more Gifts of the Traveler.)
- "Thank you, <character name>. May our paths cross again soon!" (You receive 1 Gift of the Traveler.)
- Let me get back to you on that!
- I'll let you know if I find any!
- Once you have exchanged the maximum number of the required item he will accept:
- "Thank you, <character name>. May our paths cross again soon!"
Previous dialogue related to his role as a collector can be seen on the dialogue page.
Guild Wars Beyond
- Olafstead (during The Wedding)
- "It feels like only yesterday that Gwen was chasing after adventurers outside of Ascalon City. I'm glad that she has finally been able to find a bit of her own happiness, especially after all that she's been through. By the way, I was thinking of giving her some handmade hairpins as a wedding gift. If you could find me 3 Berserker Horns I should be able to fashion a nice set for her.
- Just kidding! I got a few from one of the Vanguard scouts a little while ago!"
- Nicholas sometimes fails to appear in his expected location:
- Active quests can alter spawns in the area. To fix this, complete or abandon the local quests before returning. Alternatively, visit the area with a different character without the relevant quests.
- Some areas have variable spawns (e.g. Pockmark Flats); rezoning a few times will address this.
- He has sometimes failed to spawn due to the War in Kryta; if not previously fixed by ANet, you can work around this by using a character who has not started WiK or dropping any relevant bounties for characters that have.
- You can report any non-appearances at the .
- Nicholas does not exchange items for gifts in two situations:
- Nicholas has occasionally been found facing a random object, obstructive landscape, or a wall.
- Farming guides
- GuildWiki's farming guide and farming section of the currently requested item
- PvXwiki's farming guide (incomplete, see the archive for other entries)
- Nick Gift Farms (YouTube video, featured in the )
- Research articles
- Trivia related to Nicholas' dialogue can be seen on the dialogue page.
- Nicholas' novel, "There with Yakkington: A Traveler's Tale," is a reference to "There and Back Again: a Hobbit's Tale" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- According to John Hargrove:
- In the week of August 10, 2009, Nicholas mistakenly appeared in Arbor Bay requesting Krait Skins (with "Trophy greet text here." as his dialogue), instead of in the Wilderness of Bahdza. 116 weeks later, he re-appeared in Arbor Bay requesting Krait Skins at a slightly different location (original location), ending two years of speculation about whether his initial appearance was part of the original cycle or not.
- His location within a zone has changed seven times between the first and second cycles:
- Saoshang Trail: January 30, 2012 versus February 14, 2011.
- Raisu Palace: February 25, 2013 versus November 15, 2010.
- Magus Stones: May 27, 2013 versus November 1, 2010.
- Kinya Province: July 22, 2013 versus November 8, 2010.
- Sparkfly Swamp: November 25, 2013 versus May 31, 2010.
- Dry Top: December 9, 2013 versus January 3, 2011.
- Dragon's Gullet: May 19, 2014 versus January 10, 2011