Nicholas the Traveler
- This article is about the post-Searing NPC. For the younger, pre-Searing NPC, see Nicholas Sandford.
|Nicholas the Traveler|
Route to Nicholas's location
in Riven Earth.
Concept art by Katy Hargrove.
Each account is limited to 5 Gifts of the Traveler per week at each location; this resets every week on Monday, at the same time he moves.
Nicholas Sandford (born 1035 AE) is an Ascalonian traveler of the world who always travels with his dolyak friend, Professor Yakkington. He met Yakkington in the Northern Shiverpeaks during a snowstorm and the two managed to survive by huddling together for warmth. Before the Searing, he was in love with Mary Malone who was killed during the devastating event. Due to her death, he didn't travel for years. He is also an aspiring writer and has written a novel entitled "There with Yakkington: A Traveler's Tale."
He has friends throughout the world, such as Imperial Chef Yileng, Gwen, Durmand, and many others. During his travels, he often collects items to aid his friends and is mostly seen helping Durmand or Zinn in some form, or catering to Yakkington's whims. Once he helped Vael by making a disguise out of Quetzal Crests so Vael could spy on the Tengu of Cantha.
Nicholas is also a craftsman, as he makes various tools and even small sculptures out of various items he finds, and is very interested in local folklore.
As a collector
- For the week beginning 29 June 2015 (future appearances are documented on the cycle page)
- Reminder: The Traveler often will not appear if local spawns are affected by active quests and/or quest chains.
His dialogue changes each week depending on the item he's looking for. The current one is:
- "Excellent timing, friend! The Professor and I are on the hunt and would welcome any assistance. See, Zinn is always going on about Saurian Bones. If he had a choice, he'd build everything with them. Just the other day, he told me "the weight-to-strength ratio makes Saurian Bones superior to metallic or arboreal sources for truss material." Then he lamented about how he'd never get a chance to prove it to me, because Saurian Bones are so "hard" to get. I could just find him one, but I'd love to hand him 5 and watch him stand there speechless! Can you imagine Zinn speechless? Makes me snicker just thinking about it. So if you find any, be sure to let me know!"
- I have some right here! (If you have enough for at least 1 Gift of the Traveler.)
- "Hmmm. I'm sorry, but it appears you don't have quite as many as I need." (If you dropped the item from your inventory and select "I have some right here!" with less than the minimum number of the required item he will accept.)
- Let me get back to you on that!
- "Ah, it appears you have <total number of the required item you have> of those. How many do you want to give me?"
- You can have <maximum accepted number> of them!
- "Thank you, <character name>. May our paths cross again soon!" (You receive 1...5 Gifts of the Traveler.)
- How about just <minimum accepted number> of them? (If you have enough for 2 or more Gifts of the Traveler.)
- "Thank you, <character name>. May our paths cross again soon!" (You receive 1 Gift of the Traveler.)
- Let me get back to you on that!
- I'll let you know if I find any!
- Once you have exchanged the maximum number of the required item he will accept:
- "Thank you, <character name>. May our paths cross again soon!"
Previous dialogue related to his role as a collector can be seen on the dialogue page.
Guild Wars Beyond
- Olafstead (during The Wedding)
- "It feels like only yesterday that Gwen was chasing after adventurers outside of Ascalon City. I'm glad that she has finally been able to find a bit of her own happiness, especially after all that she's been through. By the way, I was thinking of giving her some handmade hairpins as a wedding gift. If you could find me 3 Berserker Horns I should be able to fashion a nice set for her.
- Just kidding! I got a few from one of the Vanguard scouts a little while ago!"
- Nicholas sometimes fails to appear in his expected location:
- Active quests can alter spawns in the area. To fix this, complete or abandon the local quests before returning. Alternatively, visit the area with a different character without the relevant quests.
- Some areas have variable spawns (e.g. Pockmark Flats); rezoning a few times will address this.
- He has sometimes failed to spawn due to the War in Kryta (e.g. in Kessex Peak (War in Kryta)); if not previously fixed by ArenaNet, you can work around this by using a character who has not started WiK or dropping any relevant bounties for characters that have.
- Nicholas does not exchange items for gifts in two situations:
- Nicholas has occasionally been found facing a random object, obstructive landscape, or a wall.
- GuildWiki's farming guide and farming section of the currently requested item
- PvXwiki's farming guide (incomplete, see the archive for other entries)
- Nick Gift Farms (YouTube video, featured in the )
- Introduced in the April 23, 2009 update.
- Trivia related to Nicholas' dialogue can be seen on the dialogue page.
- Nicholas' novel, "There with Yakkington: A Traveler's Tale," is a reference to "There and Back Again: a Hobbit's Tale" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- According to John Hargrove:
- In the week of August 10, 2009, Nicholas mistakenly appeared in Arbor Bay requesting Krait Skins (with "Trophy greet text here." as his dialogue), instead of in the Wilderness of Bahdza. 116 weeks later, he re-appeared in Arbor Bay requesting Krait Skins at a slightly different location (original location), ending two years of speculation about whether his initial appearance was part of the original (first) cycle or not.
- His location within a zone has changed seven times between the first and second (and current) cycles:
- Saoshang Trail: January 30, 2012 versus February 14, 2011.
- Raisu Palace: February 25, 2013 versus November 15, 2010.
- Magus Stones: May 27, 2013 versus November 1, 2010.
- Kinya Province: July 22, 2013 versus November 8, 2010.
- Sparkfly Swamp: November 25, 2013 versus May 31, 2010.
- Dry Top: December 9, 2013 versus January 3, 2011.
- Dragon's Gullet: May 19, 2014 versus January 10, 2011