Charr at the Gate
|Charr at the Gate|
|Given by|| Prince Rurik |
in Pre-Searing Ascalon City
(Click to enlarge)
- Follow Rurik and help him defeat the Charr.
- Return to Prince Rurik for your reward.
- 200 Experience
- Long Sword of Shelter
- Can be salvaged
Meet Prince Rurik just outside Ascalon City. Stand by him for a few moments so he starts following the road to the Northlands. After you arrive to the gate, kill the four Charr located there. They are level 5 but Rurik and the two NPCs that follow him are able to defeat the group by themselves. Even though the monk that follows Prince Rurik is quite an efficient healer with her Heal Other spell, you may wish to keep your distance from the Charr if you are a low level.
- 10 Prince Rurik
- See also: Ascalon Army
Charr (a random group of 4)
- 5 Charr Blade Warrior
- 5 Charr Stalker
- 4 Charr Martyr
- 5 Charr Ash Walker
- 5 Charr Mind Spark
- 5 Charr Fire Caller
- Prince Rurik
- "A group of Charr have broken through the gates! They must be stopped at all costs! Meet me at the gates just outside of town in Lakeside. What say you? Will you help me drive these Charr from fair Ascalon?"
- Prince Rurik: "To the gate! Follow me!"
- Prince Rurik: "Quickly! This way!"
- Prince Rurik: "Stand your ground!"
- Prince Rurik: "That's the last of them!"
- Prince Rurik
- That should teach them to fear the might of Ascalon! You fought well. I see great deeds in your future, young [Character Name].
- This quest can be used to help reach level 10 in pre-Searing, since it is the only way to quickly kill up to four level 5 foes. Be sure to abandon the quest before speaking to Rurik so that you do not accidentally claim the reward. To maximize your experience:
- Consider mapping back to Ascalon (or /resigning) after three Charr die; although this reduces experience by 25%, it also reduces the time spent abandoning and rezoning.
- Consider stopping to pickup a Red Iris Flower — one almost always spawns along or near the path to the gate.
- It can be worth a detour to kill the Rogue Bull (as long as you have not completed A Mesmer's Burden). This takes longer, but the extra experience becomes more helpful as you approach level 10 (see the chart below), e.g. it takes 30-50 fewer runs to advance from L9 to L10 if you kill the bull.
|Current level →||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||Notes|
|XP to reach next level||2600||3200||3800||4400||5000||5600||6200||6800||7400|
|Per Charr†||149.7||133.7||117.1||97.1||77.7||61.7||45.7||29.7||13.7||85.7% chance of Level 5 and 14.3% of level 4.|
|Bull||152||136||120||100||80||64||48||32||16||The bull is always L5.|
|# of runs:‡ kill 3||6||8||11||16||22||31||46||77||180||Kill three charr and map to Ascalon|
|# of runs:‡ kill 4||5||6||9||12||17||23||34||58||135||Kill all four charr.|
|# of runs:‡ kill 3 & bull||5||6||9||12||16||23||34||57||130||Kill three and then the bull|
|# of runs:‡ kill 4 & bull||4||5||7||10||13||19||27||46||105||Kill all charr and the bull.|
- † Assumes each type of Charr has an equal opportunity to spawn, i.e. there is one chance in seven that any given Charr is a level 4 Martyr.
- ‡ The number of runs is rounded up to the next whole number.