Charr at the Gate

From Guild Wars Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Charr at the Gate
Section Ascalon Quests
Campaign Prophecies

(Tyrian only)

Given by Prince Rurik
in Pre-Searing Ascalon City
(Ascalon (pre-Searing))
Type Secondary quest
Map(s)
Charr at the Gate map.jpg
(Click to enlarge)

The Charr have broken through the Great Northern Wall! With the aid of Prince Rurik, defeat them and send them back across the wall.

Quest information[edit]

Requirements[edit]

Objectives[edit]

  • Follow Rurik and help him defeat the Charr.
  • Return to Prince Rurik for your reward.

Reward[edit]

  1. Can be salvaged

Walkthrough[edit]

Meet Prince Rurik just outside Ascalon City. Stand by him for a few moments so he starts following the road to the Northlands. After you arrive to the gate, kill the four Charr located there. They are level 5 but Rurik and the two NPCs that follow him are able to defeat the group by themselves. Even though the monk that follows Prince Rurik is quite an efficient healer with her Heal Other spell, you may wish to keep your distance from the Charr if you are a low level.

NPCs[edit]

Allies[edit]

Other characters[edit]

Ascalon Army[edit]

See also: Ascalon Army

Foes[edit]

Charr (a random group of 4)

Dialogue[edit]

Initial dialogue[edit]

Prince Rurik
"A group of Charr have broken through the gates! They must be stopped at all costs! Meet me at the gates just outside of town in Lakeside. What say you? Will you help me drive these Charr from fair Ascalon?"
Yes Accept: "I'm with you!"
No Decline: "I don't think I'm ready for this."
Ask Ask: "Meet me outside! Hurry, we haven't much time."

Intermediate dialogue[edit]

Prince Rurik: "To the gate! Follow me!"
Prince Rurik: "Quickly! This way!"
Prince Rurik: "Stand your ground!"
Prince Rurik: "That's the last of them!"

Reward dialogue[edit]

Prince Rurik
That should teach them to fear the might of Ascalon! You fought well. I see great deeds in your future, young [Character Name].

Notes[edit]

  • This quest can be used to help reach level 10 in pre-Searing, since it is the only way to quickly kill up to four level 5 foes. Be sure to abandon the quest before speaking to Rurik so that you do not accidentally claim the reward. To maximize your experience:
    • Consider mapping back to Ascalon (or /resigning) after three Charr die; although this reduces experience by 25%, it also reduces the time spent abandoning and rezoning.
    • Consider stopping to pickup a Red Iris Flower — one almost always spawns along or near the path to the gate.
    • It can be worth a detour to kill the Rogue Bull (as long as you have not completed A Mesmer's Burden). This takes longer, but the extra experience becomes more helpful as you approach level 10 (see the chart below), e.g. it takes 30-50 fewer runs to advance from L9 to L10 if you kill the bull.
Bug Bug.Charr can occasionally spawn behind the gate.

Farming statistics[edit]

Current level → 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Notes
XP to reach next level 2600 3200 3800 4400 5000 5600 6200 6800 7400
Per Charr 149.7 133.7 117.1 97.1 77.7 61.7 45.7 29.7 13.7 85.7% chance of Level 5 and 14.3% of level 4.
Bull 152 136 120 100 80 64 48 32 16 The bull is always L5.
# of runs: kill 3 6 8 11 16 22 31 46 77 180 Kill three charr and map to Ascalon
# of runs: kill 4 5 6 9 12 17 23 34 58 135 Kill all four charr.
# of runs: kill 3 & bull 5 6 9 12 16 23 34 57 130 Kill three and then the bull
# of runs: kill 4 & bull 4 5 7 10 13 19 27 46 105 Kill all charr and the bull.
Assumes each type of Charr has an equal opportunity to spawn, i.e. there is one chance in seven that any given Charr is a level 4 Martyr.
The number of runs is rounded up to the next whole number.