Ascension is a legendary feat that gives characters the blessings of the gods of Tyria, and the gift of True Sight. Few have been able to ascend, and many pilgrims such as the Margonites, Tyrians, and Elonians came to the Crystal Desert to try to ascend, only to fail. The ghosts of the Tyrians and Elonians still haunt the desert to this day, many unaware that they have died.
 The Tests
In order to ascend, players must pass three missions that can be beaten in any order: Elona Reach, Dunes of Despair, and Thirsty River. Following this, players must enter the Hall of Ascension within the Mesa from Augury Rock and defeat their Doppelganger. Only then will they be given an audience with the dragon Glint.
Ascended characters can change their secondary professions and enter the Realms of the Gods; however, these benefits are not exclusive to Ascended characters, as they are also available to characters who are Weh no Su, Elonian characters who have completed the Hunted! quest, and PvP characters. Ascension also offers exclusive benefits. Only Ascended characters can access the Dragon's Lair, the Vision of Glint quests, and the Tomb of the Primeval Kings. Prophecies characters must be Ascended in order to access The Hero's Challenge, the second Prophecies attribute point quest.
- A Canthan character can ascend in Tyria before completing Nahpui Quarter.
- A Tyrian character can gain the non-exclusive benefits of ascension by becoming Weh no Su in Cantha before completing Augury Rock.
- An Elonian character can gain the non-exclusive benefits of ascension by ascending in Tyria or becoming Weh no Su in Cantha before completing Hunted!.
- Only Elonian characters can gain the non-exclusive benefits of ascension by completing Hunted! in Elona.
- Tyrian and Canthan characters can still acquire the 50k exp ascension bonus from Augury Rock after completing Hunted!.
- Prophecies characters must ascend via Augury Rock in order to access The Hero's Challenge.