Mad King Thorn
|Mad King Thorn|
|Campaigns|| Prophecies |
Concept art by Katy Hargrove.
During his reign, Kryta suffered a severe famine while Thorn held exquisite banquets for his courtiers. This made him unpopular with the commoners, an effect he exacerbated by once having a number of villagers skinned alive. He traveled to Elona on multiple occasions and is said to have had "many squabbles over the years" with Palawa Joko, who was an "up-and-coming king in Elona" at the time. He hates the Tengu, Harpies, and Ettins, but fears termites. He once had a spat with Qwytzylkak.
Thorn was married eight times. His first wife was Lady Lyrica, a Krytan noble who originally liked Ewan, and married Thorn from promises of continuing Ewan's works. They married before he was crowned. His fifth bride, Zola, was an Istani princess that hailed from Vabbi and said to be his favorite wife, though she was burned alive. King Thorn convinced her to accept him by holding her father hostage while wearing a mask made of Mandragor shells. After Zola's death, her father Seamarshal Bennu began a war with Kryta which he lost.
His cruel and insane rule was ultimately brought to an end in 825 AE when an enraged mob stormed his castle. Many of his staff fled, leaving him to his death; he was killed with a carving knife. After his death, the mob is said to have been "very creative" with his corpse, having cut up the body. Afterwards, his palace and most of his possessions and courtiers were set ablaze.
As a spirit (referred to as a Spirit Lord), he lives in the Mad Realm within the Underworld and, because of a series of seals restricting him, he is able to return to Tyria for only one day each year: Halloween. The Lunatic Court are attempting to break the seals and bring Thorn back as an undead. The first seal was broken when Salma took the throne.
When Halloween approaches, Thorn's influence seeps through into Kamadan and Lion's Arch, transforming the citizens into assorted monsters. He is generally accompanied by Candy Corn servants.
Mad King Thorn appears in the mushroom circle area in both Lion's Arch and Kamadan (since 2006) for the whole day on October 31st (PDT) for Halloween every 3 hours. Undead horsemen heralds routinely warn travelers of their master's impending arrival in both cities. When he arrives, he begins commanding people. If the players do what he wants - by using emotes - they receive Trick-or-Treat Bags (or different Halloween treats prior 2007). If they fail to comply, they die, but are resurrected before the next command. At the end of the game he gives everyone a festival hat. The game lasts for approximately 30 minutes and includes jokes, commands, rock-paper-scissors games, and a Simon says-like game at the end.
- "Coward!" (elite)
- Defy Pain (elite)
- Dragon Slash (elite)
- Hundred Blades (elite)
- "It's Good to Be King!" (monster skill) (elite)
- Maddening Laughter (monster skill) (elite)
- Mad King Pony Support (monster skill) (elite)
- During the Halloween finale
- In Scarred Psyche
- "As motivational as my words are, now is the time for action!"
- This NPC has a tonic and everlasting tonic.
- During the Scarred Psyche challenge mission, he wields an Emerald Blade and Skull Shield.
- During his visit, players in the "glowing circle" are hexed with Mad King's Fan if they successfully respond to his first demand; it ends either when the player dies or leaves the circle.
- While you're next to Mad King Thorn, you are placed under the effect of Oversized Tonic Warning.
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki also has an article on Mad King Thorn.|
- He is one of three NPCs that have more than two elite skills.
- Mad King Thorn has been given many titles, including:
- Antic Harrower
- Autumn Lunatic
- Grim Japer
- Indelible Fright