Firstborn son of King Adelbern and heir to the throne of Ascalon, Prince Rurik is a brave, bold man who often takes action on the spur of the moment. He leads by example, never cowering or shirking a challenge. Some say he has no fear. Others claim his brash bravery is merely reckless. Regardless, the prince is liked by almost everyone in Ascalon, and he spends much of his time among the citizens, preferring the company of commoners to that of Ascalon's rich upper crust.
As a boy, Prince Rurik trained at the Ascalon Academy and did a stint as an officer in the army. Today, he maintains a fighting force of his own, known as the Ascalon Vanguard. These soldiers are completely independent of the king’s financing and influence. Rurik's father, King Adelbern, takes a certain amount of offense to this, though he keeps it to himself and his closest advisors. Though the prince is loyal to his father, he doesn’t always agree with the man’s methods or ideology.
Prince Rurik was born in the city of Drascir in either 1039 or 1040 AE. As royalty of Ascalon, Rurik wielded the ancient Orrian sword, Sohothin. He was betrothed to Lady Althea prior to her death during the Charr invasion.
Rurik led the Ascalon Vanguard with his direct subordinates being Captain Greywind, Captain Arne, and Lieutenant Langmar. In 1070 AE, he tracked down Vatlaaw Doomtooth with the help of the new Ascalon Vanguard recruits fresh out of the Ascalon Academy, just before the Searing.
Following the Searing, tension between Rurik and his father gradually increased as the war raged on. After two years of skirmishes along the now-broken Great Northern Wall, Rurik led an assault force in retaliation to Bonfaaz Burntfur's second invasion, where he and freed prisoners discovered the mouthpiece to Stormcaller and returned to Rin. After liberating Rin through the use of Stormcaller and defeating Bonfaaz, Rurik was disowned and exiled from Ascalon after an argument with King Adelbern.
Rurik then led the Ascalonian migration, leading refugees to Kryta over the Shiverpeak Mountains so that they could rebuild their strength and remake Ascalon in the future. As his people traveled through the Frost Gate, he held off the Stone Summit on his own and was killed by Dagnar Stonepate.
At a later time, the Undead Lich reanimated Rurik's corpse to serve him, keeping the prince aware of who he was. After the Titans were released, the undead prince was forced to defend the Lich and fight his former comrades, though he was defeated and his soul given peace. He is said to have earned a place in the Hall of Heroes.
- Ascalon (pre-Searing)
- Northern Shiverpeaks
Quests involved in:
- Ascalon (pre-Searing)
- Defensive Stance
- Endure Pain
- Healing Signet
- Hundred Blades (elite, only during pre-Searing)
- Knock (monster skill) (only during Ruins of Surmia)
- Stormcaller (skill) (monster skill) (only during Nolani Academy)
- Ascalon (pre-Searing)
- "Well met, young <Primary profession>! It's a glorious day to be alive, is it not? I know some might think of these as dark times with the Charr threatening us from the north, but Ascalon is the greatest nation in fair Tyria. We shall never fall before the Charr, never!"
- Ascalon Academy
- "This incursion is very suspicious. I wonder what the Charr have planned.
- I know not what the Charr is up to, but one thing is for certain: we cannot let them sneak around behind the wall."
- "I hope one day to come face-to-face with the Charr king, or whatever they call their leader. I shall cut his black heart from his chest and carry it with me as a trophy."
- "These Charr are detestable. Hardly better than dung-eating vermin"
- "I have heard stories of Vatlaaw Doomtooth. Be on your guard."
- Ruins of Surmia & Nolani Academy
- "We must not waste time. The lives of our countrymen are at stake."
- Annihilator 2: Searing Day
- "So, tell me some of my amazing accomplishments from the future!"
During Annihilator 2: Searing Day
- "As a boy, I spent much time in these lands. Look how beautiful they still are."
- "I'll stick close to you. Running off would be suicide."
- "You know, I meant to send out a scouting party to see what the Charr have been up to lately, but I think it can wait one more day."
- "Are you as ugly on the inside?"
- "Back to the Rift with you, hellion!"
- "Does that hurt, beast? Good!"
- "Don't mess with Ascalon!"
- "Fear is for the weak!"
- "For Ascalon!"
- "Hail king Adelbern!"
- "I am Rurik, Crown Prince of Ascalon, and you are about to die!"
- "I am the cleaver, brought down upon the heads of the infidels!"
- "I sentence you to death, scum!"
- "I shall cut your throat and take your head as a trophy, vermin."
- "I will dance on your corpse, fiend!"
- "I would kill all of your kind, beast, if given but a single chance."
- "In the name of King Aldebern, I smite thee!"
- "It sickens me to share the same air with these foul creatures."
- "Lead through actions, not words!"
- "May your guts provide sustenance for the worms!"
- "Meet my blade!"
- "My wrath will be swift, my retribution horrible!"
- "One day, the city of Rin may fall. But not today."
- "Take this!"
- "Taste steel you beast!"
- "The enemies of Ascalon must suffer!"
- "This is my kingdom, beast. Get your own."
- "Torment and misery to those who oppose us!"
- "Try eating this!"
- "You are a pox on Ascalon, and I am the cure!"
- "You've messed with the wrong prince."
- "Your days of fouling this land are over, vermin!"
- "Victory or martyrdom!"
- "...What? No! Don't craft me! Get that thing away!"
- When his health drops below 50%
- "Argh, these fiends are eating me alive!"
- "My friends, I could use some assistance here!"
- "To me! To me! Your prince is in danger!"
- "In the name of King Adelbern, I smite thee!"
- "Taste cold steel!"
- "This will teach you to mess with Ascalon!"
- In one of his quotes, Vael reveals that he was with Rurik during the Frost Gate, and told Adelbern of his son's death.
- A Miniature Prince Rurik is one of possible rewards for characters that reach one year old.
- Prince Rurik has a tonic form.
- Prince Rurik is likely named after the real life Rurik, the founder of a long running royal dynasty of Kievan Rus'.
- The name Rurik, in the scandinavian language, means: "the powerful and glorious."
- Rurik's quote, "Don't mess with Ascalon!" may be a reference to the phrase, "Don't mess with Texas," which is where one of NCsoft's headquarters is located.
- The phrase "My retribution will be swift, my wrath horrible!" may be a reference to the line "Sauron's wrath will be terrible; his retribution swift" said by Gandalf in Lord of the rings; The Two Towers.
- Prince Rurik was voiced by Robin Atkin Downes.