The Frost Gate
- This article is about a mission. This name is also used for an outpost, a Zaishen mission, and a landmark.
As the Ascalon refugees make their way across the frozen Shiverpeaks into Kryta, the Stone Summit have blocked their path and closed The Frost Gate. It is up to the heroes to re-open the gate and lead their people safely through the pass.
|The Frost Gate|
|Preceded by||Borlis Pass|
|Followed by||To Kryta: Refugees|
 Mission information
Open the The Frost Gate.
- Destroy the ballistae to secure safe passage for Rurik and the Ascalon refugees.
- Retrieve the Gear Lever from the Dwarven fort to open the Frost Gate.
- ADDED: Use the Gear Lever on the Lever Mechanism to reach the Frost Gate.
- *BONUS* Steal the Stone Summit's secret plans for a powerful siege weapon.
- ADDED: Activate the three Frost Gate Lever Mechanisms before the Stone Summit overwhelms Rurik.
Follow the pass in a general southerly direction while searching for the ballistae (marked in green on the wiki map). Two can be found somewhat west of the normal pass. Kill the Stone Summit Engineers next to them. Continue on, following the red path on the map. After destroying all four ballistae, a gate will open and your party can head down a hill to pick up the gear lever. Use it on the nearby gear mechanism (blue point 1) to open the gate just beyond. The mechanism will cause the lever to drop after several seconds. Pick it back up and wait patiently for the gate to open.
Next, enter the area behind the gate. From here you can see two of the three additional mechanisms needed to be triggered by the lever. The third one is below and in front of the other two. Using the gear lever on any of the three mechanisms causes a nearby gate to open, allowing additional enemies to spill out and attack your party. It is recommended to completely clear the area of foes before activating any of these gates, thus lessening the impact of the extra enemies. Shortly (but not immediately) after having used the gear lever on the third mechanism (in that grouping, fourth mechanism overall), the final cinematic is shown, ending the mission.
 Alternative end strategy
In Hard mode, the end part can be overwhelming. An alternative strategy to completing this mission is to first kill the two mobs at the mechanisms, then trigger the mechanism at blue point 2 and defeat the two mobs that will run into the mechanism area. This next part can be done with one player character, to prevent a party wipe, while the rest of the party waits in the safety of the area where the Gear Lever originally appeared (blue point 1): trigger the mechanism at blue point 3 and, as soon as the Gear Lever is available again, go trigger the mechanism at blue point 4, which can be done before the mob that was triggered by the mechanism at blue point 3 arrives. This strategy is quicker and prevents the chance of a party wipe, since your party can avoid aggroing and having to fight the mobs that appear after triggering the last 2 mechanisms.
With heroes and henchmen, you can use a speed boost so that you can start both mechanisms, then run to blue point 1 and let your team aggro the remaining foes. Generally, the Summit mobs will not follow you outside the gate; even if they do, you can run away, let your heroes and henchmen absorb damage, and wait out the clock.
To finish the bonus:
- You need to free Rornak Stonesledge at yellow point 1
- Lead him to the ballista at yellow point 2
- Use the ballista to blast open the door that leads to yellow point 3
- Obtain the Secret Siege Weapon Plans from a chest at yellow point 3 and deliver them back to Rornak at the ballista (yellow point 2)
Since Rornak must survive to complete the bonus, consider first clearing the path to yellow point 2 before leading him there. Yellow point 2 houses two mobs of two Dolyak Riders and several Stone Summit. Luring some of these foes away from the Riders and their considerable healing potential may prove a worthy tactic. Be cautious in your attempts to lure the enemies, especially in Hard mode or with henchmen, as the Dolyak Riders will follow as soon as you attack any member of the mob. Consider spreading the enemy lines to accomplish this task with the use of bodyblocking on the road nearby the start of the yellow line that leads to yellow point 2 on the map. With the party correctly positioned, pull the enemies into your waiting ambush and crush them with impunity.
Another difficult fight with a random Stone Summit boss awaits the party just beyond the place where the path to yellow point 3 departs from the usual mission route. Another Dolyak Rider in the mob presents an ample challenge in Hard mode; however, be aware that killing the boss and the mob will trigger a cinematic, moving the party forward. Although it is still possible to complete the bonus after the cinematic by backtracking, it is advisable to leave this mob until the bonus is done.
 Skill recommendations
- Dolyak Riders can remove hexes, but not conditions; however, Stone Summit Howlers have Plague Touch, so avoid inflicting conditions on the Howlers.
- In Hard mode, enchantment removal skills should prove invaluable by stripping the Dolyak Riders of their Mark of Protection enchantment. Skills that inflict the dazed condition will help in interrupting and preventing the Dolyak Riders from casting Mark of Protection.
- Avoid using enchantment-based builds, since Stone Summit Howlers and Stone Summit Sages can remove enchantments.
- 10 (20) Rornak Stonesledge
- 5 (20) Refugee
- 10 (24) Frostfire Dryder
- 10 (24) Stone Summit Engineer
- 10 (24) Stone Summit Crusher
- 9 (23) Summit Axe Wielder
- 9 (23) Stone Summit Scout
- 11 (24) Dolyak Rider
- 10 (24) Stone Summit Howler
- 10 (24) Stone Summit Sage
Elementals (Stone Summit)
- 10 (24) Ice Golem
- 11 (24) Snow Ettin
- 10 (24) Minotaur
- 13 (27) Garris Nightwatch
- 13 (27) Shalis Ironmantle
- 13 (27) Durnar Skullcracker
- 13 (27) Cronis Bonebreaker
- 28 (30) Dagnar (cinematic only)
Elementals (Stone Summit)
- 13 (27) Bucknar Runeguard
- 13 (27) Minotaur
- Chest (unlocked; holds the Secret Siege Weapon Plans)
- Firing lever[sic]
- Lever Mechanism
- Steel Chest (chest)
- A Gear Lever bundle can be found near the first Lever Mechanism, and must be held in order to use them.
 Initial dialogue
- Prince Rurik
- "Those Stone Summit ballistae are guarding the pass to the Frost Gate!"
- "Destroy them so we may lead our people through!"
- "We dare not move forward until they are destroyed!"
 Intermediate dialogue
- Rornak Stonesledge
- "Just me luck. I've been caught again."
- "The Stone Summit are tryin' to build a new and devastatin' siege weapon. King Ironhammer sent me to steal the plans."
- "There is a decrepit ballista pointed to the east. Take me to it, and I'll help ye blast open the doors that keep safe the plans."[sic]
Talking to Rornak prior to arriving at the ballista:
- "The ballista is on a hidden path outside of the cave."
After arriving at the ballista:
- "It should work now. Ye can fire it at the doors."
- "After ye blast open the doors, return the secret plans to me."
Talking to Rornak after he "fixes" the ballista:
- "If the Stone Summit successfully builds this weapon, it could spell the end of the Deldrimor Dwarves."
After giving the Secret Siege Weapon Plans to Rornak:
- "Any friend of Rornak Stonesledge is a friend of the Deldrimor Dwarves. Many thanks, friend."
- Prince Rurik: "Well done."
- Prince Rurik: "The refugees are weary, but they've made it this far."
- Prince Rurik: "We're now very close to the Frost Gate and the safety of Kryta, but we cannot yet take rest."
- Prince Rurik: "One of my men, Captain Greywind, tells me he once traveled this path."
- Prince Rurik: "He says the Frost Gate can be opened but it will not be easy."
- Prince Rurik: "There are three mechanisms that lift the massive stone."
- Prince Rurik: "You must find a gear lever in the small town ahead."
- Prince Rurik: "Use the lever to engage each of these mechanisms, and the gate will open."
- Prince Rurik: "Once it's open, it'll be up to you to lead the refugees through to safety."
- Prince Rurik: "My men and I will hold back the Dwarves as long as we can."
- Prince Rurik: "I will rejoin you once the last of the refugees is safely through."
- Prince Rurik: "The Stone Summit will not yield the Frost Gate quietly."
- Prince Rurik: "May Dwayna smile upon us."
- <Party leader>: "The Frost Gate is open. Go now, we haven't much time."
- <Party leader>: "What was that?"
- Dagnar: "These mountains belong to the Stone Summit, human."
- <Party leader>: "Rurik! No!"
- Prince Rurik: "You cannot save me. Get them to Kryta. Hurry. GO!"[sic]
- Dagnar: "Your punishment for trespassing is death."
- Heroes and henchmen sometimes get stuck on the Lever Mechanisms. To avoid this, flag them away so they don't follow you when you go to use a Gear Lever on a Lever Mechanism.
- The two Snow Ettins will sometimes attack the Stone Summit Engineers near the third and fourth ballistae.
- After completing this mission, your party will be teleported to Beacon's Perch.
- Complete exploration of the mission area adds approximately 1.4% to the Tyrian Cartographer title.
- Prior to the February 21, 2013 update, which removed the ability to teleport with player skills:
- You could reach some corners using Necrotic Traversal. To gain an extra 0.1% to the Tyrian Cartographer title (and explore the far northeast, west, and far south spots), you had to kill the mobs around the first bridge, but leave the Ice Golem so it can kill the nearby Ascalon Soldiers. Once they were dead, you could teleport to Rurik's location.
- You could farm Stone Summit drops during this mission: after using the Necrotic Traversal trick, walk to the end of the path that leads to the Frost Gate; you would face a single Stone Summit Crusher. After it died, two additional Crushers will spawn; killing other foes in the area will spawn additional mobs slowly growing in power and number (later even Ice Golems would show up), until eventually, you have killed them all.