What Must Be Done
|What Must Be Done|
|Section||Primary Ebon Vanguard Quests|
|Campaign||Eye of the North|
|Given by||Bonwor Fierceblade |
in Doomlore Shrine
|Part of||The Missing Vanguard|
|Preceded by||Warband of Brothers|
|Followed by||Assault on the Stronghold|
Watch it Jiggle
(Click to enlarge)
- Seek Seer Fiercereign in Dalada Uplands to learn how to safely use the Charr siege devourer.
- Destroy the Shaman scout patrol using the Charr siege devourer.
- Meet Gron Fierceclaw in Dalada Uplands.
- Hunt down and tame an armored saurus in the southwest fields of Dalada Uplands.
- Report to Bonwor Fierceblade in Doomlore Shrine for combat training.
- Learn to overcome the Charr warband formation.
- See Bonwor Fierceblade for your reward.
Walk to the first location indicated on your compass. You can easily avoid the groups of Charr by going into the forest to fight Mantids, who are vastly easier foes - albeit vastly more annoying. Speak to Seer and then speak to the Siege Devourer and tell it to follow you. It moves slowly, but if it comes close to enemies they won't attack it.
Once you reach the second location on your compass, tell the Devourer to go into Siege Mode and it will start bombarding enemies, which will come and attack you.
Heading to the third location to Gron Fierceclaw, watch out for Molotov Rocktail along the way, a gigantic Devourer with his own mob of Rockshot Devourers that causes huge damage. Killing it will give you bonus morale and 50 Vanguard reputation points. Gron is nearby. There is also a second, smaller Siege Devourer that you can tame and mount, though this isn't necessary.
Finally, head South to the fourth location where there is an Armored Saurus, which you must tame. It uses many Earth Magic defensive skills that render it immune to damage, but these can be easily bypassed by activating your Siege Devourer nearby. Once done, you can return to Doomlore Shrine and speak with Bonwar to begin the last part of the mission: Warband Training.
Warband Training is a mission where your party must defeat Bonwor Fierceblade, Roan Fierceheart, Cowl Fiercetongue, Gron Fierceclaw, and Seer Fiercereign. The object is to call targets one at a time to defeat the group. You should first focus on the monk Roan Fierceheart, then Cowl Fiercetongue. Finally deal with the melee foes one at a time. Note because the group is balled up together, area of effect skills are especially effective and can end the fight quickly. Traps and spirits can be put in place before the Charr turn hostile.
Once you complete Warband Training, you are returned to Doomlore Shrine. Talk to Bonwor Fierceblade to finish the quest.
Alternatively, you can complete this quest by skipping the first three objectives and going to tame the Armored Saurus, followed by Warband Training.
All in Dalada Uplands
- 20 (20) Siege Devourer
- 20 (26) Charr Axemaster
- 20 (26) Charr Blademaster
- 20 (26) Charr Seeker
- 20 (26) Charr Hexreaper
- 20 (26) Charr Flameshielder
- 28 (30) Armored Saurus (becomes an ally once defeated)
Breaking into the heirophant's stronghold will no be a small feat, <Player name>. This assault will take planning and a Charr-like commitment to success. Are you willing to do what must be done to succeed? Good.
First, go speak with Seer Fiercereign. He has a powerful siege weapon you must learn to use in the upcoming battle. There will be other tasks. Try to complete them without whining too loudly. I cannot stand the sounds you humans make when you are unhappy.
- Seer Fiercereign
Finally. If you were prey, you'd be dead by now. I have a newly-hatched siege devourer, ready for testing. Go stand out there while I load it. Hah! That was a joke. You should see your face. We'll test it on some Shaman scouts, instead. Bring the siege devourer and let's go.
On meeting up with the Charr.
- Seer Fiercereign: The Shaman scouts are east of here. Get a move on!
- Cowl Fiercetongue: Don't forget the siege devourer! Must I tell you everything twice?
Reaching the scouts.
- Seer Fiercereign: There they are. Move the siege devourer into range and target those scouts. I made it "human" proof, so even you should be able to figure it out.
Killing the scouts.
- Cowl Fiercetongue: Excellent. Now you can work a siege devourer without having it blow up on you!
- Seer Fiercereign: If you are not to tired from this simple task, go find Gron Firceclaw. He is hunting some beast, and mentioned something about needing bait. Hah! Got you again! Seeing the look on your face is worth not eating you! I like you, meat. You're fun to play with. Now, go help Gron. He should be near the fields west of here.
- Cowl Fiercetongue: Beast hunting? Good, I'm hungry. This no-human diet has me cranky. I'm coming, too. You don't mind...do you!
- Gron Fierceclaw
Good. You're here. Now we can get started. I've tracked an enormous armored saurus to this area. We must tame it to use in our assault against the hierophant's stronghold. Show me what you've got, mouse. The saurus must be cowed or it will not respect your authority.
Approching the saurus.
- Gron Fierceclaw: There it is. Are you prepared? Breaking its will won't be easy for one so frail, but it must be done. Think of your Vanguard and summon your courage.
Defeating the saurus.
- Cowl Fiercetongue: It gave up? I can't belive it. I was sure we would have to kill the beast to save you from it's maw. Blast. No saurus steak for dinner. Hmmmph. Now what will sate my hunger?
- Gron Fierceclaw: We will eat after the assault, Cowl. A hungry warrior is a dangerous warrior.
- Gron Fierceclaw: I must teach this beast it's commands. The rest of you are late for your next task. Move out. Bonwar Fierceblade needs to teach you humans how to fight like a Charr. Go find him and leave me to my work.
- Bonwor Fierceblade
You're late. If you want to survive against the hierophant's forces, you must learn how to fight Charr. We haven't much time, so shut up and listen. The stronghold troops will fight in formation. It will be like nothing you've ever faced. Charr formations are powerful in combat and difficult for the weak and uninformed to break. You must be neither in the coming battle. Speak to me again when you are ready, and I will teach you, Charr-style...in live combat.
Are you ready to fight, meat?
- Let's rumble. (Sent to Warband Training.)
- I think I should stretch first.
- Bonwor Fierceblade: Formations are only as strong as their weakest link!
- Bonwor Fierceblade: Focus your fire, fool! Pick one target and break the formation. Otherwise you're dead.
Defeating Pyre's warband.
- Bonwor Fierceblade: Not bad. You understand this basic strategy, at least. There are others, but they are probably beyond your abilities.
- Bonwor Fierceblade
Yes, you handled that formation well...for a mouse. You might just survive the assault after all. Hmmph. You humans, always seeking validation. We move out shortly. Go, rest your frail body while you can. Roan Fierceheart is waiting outside and will brief you when you are ready.
- Occasionally, the Siege Devourer will become stuck as it follows you. Keep an eye on it to ensure it is following you or you might have to backtrack to find it.
- Although you can enter Assault on the Stronghold as a party member before this quest, you must complete this quest or the Assault on the Stronghold will not show as completed.