An effect is a visual representation of a skill's lasting results in the effects monitor. Most effects are applied by activating a skill, such as enchantments, hexes, shouts, stances and wards. Other effects are applied by different game mechanics, like environment effects, blessings, disguises, title effects and conditions.
Causes for effects to end
There are several game mechanics that can cause effects to end:
- The duration of the effect expires.
- A bundle created by an item spell is dropped.
- The effect is removed by a removal skill.
- The affected creature dies.
- The caster dies. This will only end maintained enchantments and some hexes that affect the caster (e.g. Life Transfer).
- The same effect is renewed or reapplied, usually because a skill is activated again before the duration expires. Some effects renew themselves on specific conditions, like Lyssa's Aura.
- The effect has a specific condition that will cause it to end, e.g. Illusion of Weakness or Dark Escape.
Some effects cause further actions when they end, e.g. Patient Spirit. Unless specified in the skill description, these usually trigger on all ends except renewal; exceptions to this rule are noted on the respective skill pages.
|The Guild Wars 2 Wiki also has an article on Effect.|
- All effects are internally implemented as skills, with the possible exception of the hard mode icon.
- Not all skills with lasting results have a corresponding effect, skills like Fire Storm are instead visualized in the game world.
- For a list of existing effects which are not already available as skills, see Category:Effects.